It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coach McRoberts is Resigning as SugarBears Coach
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm 
Redshirt

Just heard Coach McRoberts is resigning as Head Coach to accept a job at University of Tulsa. I hope Im wrong. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Coach McRoberts is Resigning as SugarBears Coach
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm 
UserName Retired

NOOOOOOO!!!!! I hope you're wrong. What do they have that we don't?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I knew it would be extremely hard to keep him around. Thanks and Best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:55 pm 
UserName Retired

I just got confirmation that this is indeed true. It is a big loss for the UCA Volleyball program as coach McRoberts was an amazing coach. I wish him all the best at Tulsa (unless we face off against them).
Now we just have to find someone to replace him who can pick up where he left off!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
What do they have that we don't?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I see where Tulsa's record last year was 31-3 with a second round loss to Oklahoma in the NCAA tourney. He will be stepping into a pretty solid program it looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Coach M has done a superb job for UCA...this is what happens with coaches who excel....would not surprise me to see him do very well at Tulsa....I have confidence Brad will find the new coach who can move us yet another step or two up the ladder.....good luck to Coach M and thanks....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm 
UserName Retired

What are we Tulsa East campus? Another UCA connection to Tulsa... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 am 
Redshirt

Well...I guess its true. I researched Tulsa and they are really similar with UCA, the coach who left has about the same overall record as Coach Mac, they have similar records over the past 5 years but they made it to the big show and we haven't....yet. (2 points), The Tulsa players are similar to UCA players in size and talent in every position. Tulsa on had 2 seniors on this years team, like UCA. They won the CUSA championship this year with a record of 31-3 and a 2009 record of 26-7. Its really scary how similar both volleyball programs are. They really are UCA west instead of Tulsa east. The Tulsa coach left after a great season with a young NCAA tournament team still intact for a big time job at Alabama. Coach Mac left UCA with a great team still intact with 2 seniors gone, (one being the greatest volleyball player in UCA history) probably for the Benjamins. Great Coaches are always in demand and Coach Mac is a great coach.
I wish Coach Mac all the luck in the world, and don't be surprised to see him in the future at BIG TIME D1 School in the running for a National Championship.

THANKS COACH McROBERTS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Former UCA coach caught in perfect storm

[url=http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-02-10/uca’s-mcroberts-accepts-volleyball-post-tulsa]UCA’s McRoberts accepts volleyball post at Tulsa[/url]

Don't know why the last link isn't formatting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 pm 
UserName Retired

You don't visit this place a couple days and you miss something big. Usually I visit a couple times a day and there's nothing important ever said. :)

Wow. I really enjoyed getting to know Coach Mc a few years back. I've tried to tell everyone I can what a great program volleyball had become under his watch. I hate it for the girls who came to UCA to play for him, but hopefully the replacement will be able to step in and continue to the progress.

It's been said here and every time a good coach leaves for a better opportunity: Coaches who win and are as successful as Coach Mc will eventually find that better jobs will come looking for them. Congratulations Coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
When a major-conference FBS institution really wants an FCS coach, it will generally prevail. ...He has built UCA into one of the top mid-major FCS programs in the region and the country.

I'm pretty sure this is a slip of the pen from David. I'm pretty sure there is no FCS level of college volleyball. There is Div.I level with no distinction.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:53 am 
All-Conference

Wow! This news has been stinging to me for the past couple of days. I have been trying to hold back tears of sadness, but I know that it is a great opportunity for him and you may never have these chances again. I know it was a tough decision for him, and I respect his decision. It has been tough to swallow the news, but that is the beauty of sports. If you do well, you are going to have chances to move up in levels.

I do want to share some things about the memories I had with Coach McRoberts. I have known him six years, and I have to say these six years have been incredible. He believed in me not only as an athletics manager, but also as a person. He wanted to know how I was doing and I am pretty quiet person at times, but you know he and his family treated me as if I was actually part of their family. I know almost every home game I would join him and the rest of the coaches together for our pre-game talks and it was so much fun. Great male bonding experience that I enjoyed and I am sure he did as well. Sometimes after we win a match, I would join him and the coaches or with his family for post game dinner. He also allowed me to go on some in state trips, whether it was to Harding or UAPB, so that I could surprise my parents coming home. One time, he even helped for an interview for my journalism class. I did a profile on him. I got an A on it. The one big memory I do have with Coach McRoberts was by far 2009. We went undefeated in SLC play. It was such a great year. My family was not in my hometown for Thanksgiving, so Coach called me and asked if I want to spend time with him and his family. They welcomed me with open arms which was amazing. I will always remember that Thanksgiving for as long as I live.

I texted him earlier today saying Congratulations and everything and I told him thanks for what you did at UCA and also thanks for treating me like I was part of the family. I am going to miss him and family very much in Conway. Tulsa is gaining an incredible man and a great family. He is going to do well.

I wanted to share this with everyone because he meant a lot to me in my life over the past six years and I feel my life is truly better with him being a part of it. Thank you, Coach McRoberts for all you did with the UCA Volleyball and thank you to you and your family for being wonderful people to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:07 am 
UserName Retired

Good stuff E-rod. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 am 
UserName Retired

treyuca wrote:
Good stuff E-rod. Thanks for sharing.

Ditto!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 am 
Two-Time All-American

Best wishes to Coach Mac and his family. He has done a tremendous job here at UCA and we owe him our gratitude. I have every confidence that Brad will make an excellent hire to keep the program operating at the high level Coach Mac has worked so hard to establish.