It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future Opponent Scouting Report 2011
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2011/8/23/young-tigers-show-promise/

Nice scouting report on Mizzou Tigers......we played them very well last year....a road win at Columbia would be big.....story from The Maneater (get it, Tigers are maneaters...j-school students attempt at humor)

Young Tigers show promise
Missouri boasts the youngest volleyball roster in the Big 12.
By Lindsey Davison Published Aug. 23, 2011

If freshman Emily Wilson was nervous during her debut in front of her home crowd, it didn’t show.

Wilson led the Tigers with 16 kills and a pair of solo blocks in the annual Black and Gold Scrimmage on Friday night. Freshman Whitney Little also had a big night with 11 kills on 23 attacks.

Adding seven new competitors into the mix for the 2011 season, the Tigers will have the youngest team in the Big 12, as 11 of its 14 players are underclassmen.

“We’ve got 11 freshmen and sophomores on a team of 14, so we’re very young,” coach Wayne Kreklow said. “I noticed that when we were warming up there was a lot of short, shallow breathing and shaking hands, and we were very excited, but the more we played, the more we settled down. I was surprisingly pleased overall. I mean, we have stuff to work on, but for the first time playing in front of people, I think we looked ok.”

Ranked No. 22 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association final poll at the end of last season, the team will return headlining sophomore setter Molly Kreklow and senior middle blocker Brittney Brimmage this season to take on a fresh-faced Big 12.

“I’m looking forward to killing everybody because we have seven new freshman and we’re a pretty young team, but I’m ready to show everybody that we are as good as we were last year,” Brimmage said.

Brimmage led the team in 2010 with 291 kills and 119 blocks, with sophomore Lisa Henning also making an impact with 266 kills on the season.

Kreklow is coming off of a successful season as well, and said she has plans to contribute in more than one way this season.

“Last year, I felt like I just needed to do my best to help to team win,” Kreklow said. “I knew that I had five seniors that could help me out if I made mistakes. And this year I feel like it’s vice-versa. I feel like I really need to give the freshmen the best chance they can have to make the easiest play and put the ball away.”

Kreklow said she was excited to be back playing at MU after an injury prevented her from playing this summer.

“I’ve had a whole year to grow as a person and as an athlete so I definitely expect to do better things than I did last year as far as leading the team and my performance in general,” Kreklow said.

Digging duo senior Priscilla Armendariz and freshman Jade Hayes combined for 25 digs on the night.

“I think this group has a high ceiling and a lot of potential," Kreklow said. “We have a bunch of physical kids who can hit the ball and play big at the net. I think we’ve got some good athletic kids in the back row, and obviously a great setter. Walking away from this, I feel good about the big picture, but I do think we’ve got a lot to do a lot of fine tuning on the little things that will make the different between wins and losses.”

The Tigers will begin their 2011 season with the annual Tiger Invitational next weekend at the Hearnes Center.