It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:41 pm 
UserName Retired

Yeah, thanks Bearman. Fell asleep about 8:30. I like what I saw when I woke up. 1907, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure we played the A team tonight but either way we can say we plucked the birds for the year. I see where ULM is ranked 3rd in the SBC. Maybe I'll see you two at the games this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

While we have a pretty good record v SBC, I doubt if those teams are at SLC level (Texas has great baseball at all levels). In any case, Bears have shown they can compete at D1 level and are not far from next level teams. Actually they have been pretty impressive this season.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:57 am 
UserName Retired

Here are some stats for the game:

http://livesportsstats.com/ulmbaseball/

Click on Visitor Box to the right of the line score to see how our guys did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 am 
All-Conference

ucafan1907 wrote:
While we have a pretty good record v SBC, I doubt if those teams are at SLC level (Texas has great baseball at all levels). In any case, Bears have shown they can compete at D1 level and are not far from next level teams. Actually they have been pretty impressive this season.

GoBears!!

Agreed! Traditionally the Sun Belt is not a very good baseball league. ULL has a strong program and even made a CWS about 10 years ago. I thought that South Alabama was historically one of the top teams in that conference but I noticed they are last this year. Either way, I think we are close to competing even though it looks like we're in a tougher conference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:39 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

We did play their full squad last night, complete with their friday or saturday starting pitcher getting the nod agaisnt us last night! Apparently they were not pleased with how their split squad experiment went in Conway, so we got the 'A' team...and beat them too, on their home field!

We finshed the season 5-3 vs. the Sun Belt (since Ualr doesnt want to play us again, it will end like that) I was told last night by ULM's SID for Baseball that the Sun Belt is currently the 7th or 8th power rated conference in the country (and I have no idea wich power poll he is using), and ULM is in 3rd, or tied for 2nd-3rd in the league, and we swept them this season! Also remember that ULM is actually of Southland caliber, because they were in the Southland last season. Their SS was the SLC Freshman of the Year last year and finished 1st team All SLC in the Indians/Warhawks final season in the SLC! All this was stuff Coach Clark pointed out to the happy bus last night after the game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:47 pm 
UserName Retired

Where's my crawfish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

As for the game, the wind blew someting fierce all night long straight out to left field. Only thing is, our 3 HR would have been out no matter the wind situation, but ULM's 2 HR's were pretty wind-aided, especially the 2nd one.

Our defense came up HUGE last night in several instances. And Jeremy Brewer pitched his rear off in the win. Yes he gave up 10 runs, but after the 2nd inning, he settled down and really shut ULM down completely, and Grisham out of the pen was lights out last night, esp. the 2 times they tried to rally against him.

Feeling pretty good heading into the weekend with ground to gain on SEL and NW St in the Eastern Division standings. The Bears have won their 2 series against the East so far (lamar, icholls)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

What is really cool is that we will not finish last in baseball and could possibly challenge for 2nd/3rd in our division! Hopefully our SB softball team can get out of the cellar! I believe all of our teams have been picked to finish dead last. I hope the SLC gets the message that we aren't here to participate but expect to contend in the very near future in all sports!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Honey Bear wrote:
Where's my crawfish?

didnt end up going down by myself...so you got no crawfish...but I saw some while down there! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:20 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

unless something of historical proportions happens, we wont finish last in the conference (and we wouldn't have finished last in the Sun Belt either! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:18 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bearman wrote:
ucafan1907 wrote:

GoBears!!

Agreed! Traditionally the Sun Belt is not a very good baseball league. ULL has a strong program and even made a CWS about 10 years ago. I thought that South Alabama was historically one of the top teams in that conference but I noticed they are last this year. Either way, I think we are close to competing even though it looks like we're in a tougher conference.

How the heck did Troy weasel their way into the NCAA tourney this year? Their record heading into the tourney was only 32-25. They ended up being the 3rd team from the SBC. How did they get a bid over TX St. that had more impressive OOC wins and just fell short of 40 wins?
:-k :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:34 am 
UserName Retired

While I can't/won't argue that Troy should have definitely been in the field, they had a much better RPI and SOS than Tx State.

RPI - SOS
Troy 55 - 39
Tx State 81 - 128

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:53 am 
Two-Time All-American

I don't know how they come up with SOS but TX St. played and beat some of the toughest schools in the country. The SLC was filled with teams that won over 34 games. How could they not get more respect than that? Troy ended just finished above .500.

TX St. 37-23

Troy 34-27

:roll: