It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA-Texas Tech
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:20 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=7&article=2103

BASEBALL ADDS TEXAS TECH TO 2008 SLATE
BASEBALL • Oct 3, 2007

CONWAY, Ark- The University of Central Arkansas baseball team has added two games with Texas Tech to the 2008 schedule. The Bears will travel to Lubbock for a pair of nine-inning games with the Big 12 member on March 4-5. The Red Raiders went 28-27 last year and 19-12 at Dan Law Field.

The Bears open the 2008 schedule on February 22 with a four-game home series against South Dakota State...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 am 
UserName Retired

Good addition to the schedule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:11 pm 
All-Conference

Yes! Very good addition! I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Get better or get skunked...glad to see Coach Clark willing too step up like this.

GoBeasr!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:21 am 
Two-Time All-American

Looks like they had to replace Arkansas State with Texas Tech. Anybody know the scoop on why ASU is not on the schedule for baseball now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:54 am 
Two-Time All-American

just a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:15 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?topic=32567.0
Here is some of stAte's takes on the situation...

It's getting deep in a hurry over there...

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

King of the South wrote:

just a guess.
Ain't that the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?topic=32567.0
Here is some of stAte's takes on the situation...

It's getting deep in a hurry over there...

That is some funny stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Tribe is definitely conflicted. I think they are missing the point. If they improve to the point they can realistically be expected to defeat uaf, then uaf will put them off because they do not play uca. Good gosh, uaf fans still cringe at the 1987 NIT game at Barnhill where Nelson Catalina and the Tribe nearly beat the hoggies. Had A-State beaten Texas this year or Tennessee, much less both, uaf would schedule Chattnooga and Cape Girardeau for 20 years so they would not have a schedule opening. They are PETRIFIED of playing A-State. I hope they do keep getting better and win the Sunbelt year after year. However, uaf will run as fast as they can away from A-State .... ASU has to improve AND play UCA to blunt the excuses. It is not a matter of UCA "paying their dues",it is about ASU playing uaf. Of course, maybe A-State really is scared of playing UCA.

Each of us keep playing teams the others play....might as well do it directly and get it over with.
GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 am 
All-American

Sorry, but I can't seem to get to that site, but if it's a discussion whether to play the Bears or not, I'm for taking the talk to the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:27 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

well here is their AD's official reason to at least one of ASU's fans as to why apparently the UCA-stAte games were cancelled or called off this season...the quotes are from BigD at Arkst.com who occassionally posts over here, so maybe he could add more at some point:

"Alright, believe it or not but, this is what I've found out. Yes, any instate is of course important and you want to do your best and win. I asked, Dr. Lee did you tell Coach Kessinger if he played UCA and lost he would lose his job? He said, No. I said why were the games @ UCA cancelled? He said , because of the Wyatt report guidelines, (a report from the Sunbelt that requires you to have more home games than road games). The reason coach cancelled it was to comply with the new Sunbelt Guidelines.

He went on to say we are trying to make our own way we aren't going to cater to UCA, UAF or any other school. He said we already have a relationship with UAPB and UCA would be worked in when they could.

But, no one has been told they would lose their jobs if they scheduled and played UCA.

I told him that I didn't like the UA policy and that I sure didn't want us to ever adopt a policy like that.

Take it for what it's worth but, that is basically what Dr. Lee told me.

Now that will give you guys something else to chew on the rest of the day."
-----------------------------------------------

So apparently it was because of a Sun Belt mandate that ASU could not or would not keep UCA on the schedule instead of dropping someone else off their non-conference portion of their upcoming schedule...

I would have liked to play them for several reasons, none of them having to do with in-state pride. The series just made sense for mid-week travel and expenses reasons. If you take a look at this situation and compare, I'm sure, as far as straining a budget, playing stAte a home and home eries would have been cheaper travel and less time out of classes for the players than a mid-week trip to Lubbock, TX. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:52 pm 
Practice Squad

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
well here is their AD's official reason to at least one of ASU's fans as to why apparently the UCA-stAte games were cancelled or called off this season...the quotes are from BigD at Arkst.com who occassionally posts over here, so maybe he could add more at some point:

"Alright, believe it or not but, this is what I've found out. Yes, any instate is of course important and you want to do your best and win. I asked, Dr. Lee did you tell Coach Kessinger if he played UCA and lost he would lose his job? He said, No. I said why were the games @ UCA cancelled? He said , because of the Wyatt report guidelines, (a report from the Sunbelt that requires you to have more home games than road games). The reason coach cancelled it was to comply with the new Sunbelt Guidelines.

He went on to say we are trying to make our own way we aren't going to cater to UCA, UAF or any other school. He said we already have a relationship with UAPB and UCA would be worked in when they could.

But, no one has been told they would lose their jobs if they scheduled and played UCA.

I told him that I didn't like the UA policy and that I sure didn't want us to ever adopt a policy like that.

Take it for what it's worth but, that is basically what Dr. Lee told me.

Now that will give you guys something else to chew on the rest of the day."
-----------------------------------------------

So apparently it was because of a Sun Belt mandate that ASU could not or would not keep UCA on the schedule instead of dropping someone else off their non-conference portion of their upcoming schedule...

I would have liked to play them for several reasons, none of them having to do with in-state pride. The series just made sense for mid-week travel and expenses reasons. If you take a look at this situation and compare, I'm sure, as far as straining a budget, playing stAte a home and home eries would have been cheaper travel and less time out of classes for the players than a mid-week trip to Lubbock, TX. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future...

I hope that we will meet on the field at some point as well. As you all know we have met in different sports at different times. I have asked Coach Boyer ( Womens Coach ) if Dr. Lee had ever advised him against playing UCA and he said absolutely not. He said as soon as they are counting in the rpi ratings, they he would treat their game like any other Soutland conference team in the past. Which would be as a guarantee game. He said it was unlikely that they would play UAPB and UCA in the same year.