It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gerard shifts recruiting to baseball
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:42 pm 
All-Conference

Rison athlete Trey Gerard originally started out his recruiting process looking at playing collegiate football, but has recently decided to focus on baseball after getting interest from several schools.

Gerard plays both Pitcher and Catcher for the Wildcat baseball team. He is the top pitcher for the Wildcat baseball team, with a average of a 77 MPH fastball. He has been clocked as high as 84 MPH as well.

Other coaches have spoken of Gerard. Lake Village Lakeside Baseball Coach Chris Morphis recently spoke of Gerard's pitching abilities.

"He is a great kid. He has all of the techniques, all of the formulas you look for in a pitcher. He is very hard to hit off of because you can not read what pitch he will throw when he winds up. His fastball is hard to hit off of, and right about the time you think you have him figured out, he changes things up and take you for another loop." stated Morphis.

Gerard recently talked about changing his recruiting from football to baseball.

"I like football, but I love baseball. I have a few things I need to work on, but I feel I have a better shot at playing collegiate baseball than football due to my size."

Gerard is 5-foot-11, 181 pounds. He did attend the FCA football combine at War Memorial Stadium this season where he posted a 4.83 in the forty yard dash. He has a 3.4 GPA, and has received interest in baseball from Arkansas State University, University of Central Arkansas, University of Arkansas Pine Bluff, University of Arkansas Monticello, and Ouachita Baptist University.

Gerard has interest in Arkansas State University, University of Central Arkansas, and University of Arkansas Monticello.

Gerard also talked about where he may like to attend college at.

"I'd like to stay close to home so my family can watch me play. I really like Arkansas State, UCA, and UAM. They all have good baseball and academic programs, and are close to home, which is important." said Gerard.

Trey Gerard is an outstanding young man with great character and athletic ability who will make a good baseball player for whichever school he decides to attend.

ArkansasVarsity.com will keep you updated on Trey's recruiting process.

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/conte ... CID=802376

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm 
UserName Retired

Well...of the 3 we are having the best season! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:08 pm 
All-Conference

He has been clocked in the mid 80's with his fastball. One problem is the lack of coaching down there where he is. It is a football school, and he has had 3 coaches already, and is only a junior. The current coach is rumored to be leaving after this season as well. With some solid coaching, this young man will make a great ball player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

average fastball is 77mph??? I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but most of the pitchers at the 2 schools you mentioned are averaging their fastball in the mid to upper 80's. No he might do ok catching for the Bears!

If I recall Whitaker and Price throw their change-up consistently in the mid 70's.

He might want to not rule out playing football after HS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm 
All-Conference

The average is why I said with some coaching, he would be a lot better. He has been clocked above 85 MPH before, but with a football coach as the baseball coach, and only having one coach instead of 2-3 like most baseball teams, he is doing very well considering the circumstances.

Needless to say, I appreciate that cordial way you all are discussing him, and not throwing out insults like other team boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Does he play on any of the Pine Bluff area American Legion teams??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 pm 
All-Conference

ucafan1907 wrote:
Does he play on any of the Pine Bluff area American Legion teams??

I will check in to find out. I did get a call that he pitched Rison to 6-2 victory over Camden Harmony Grove tonight at district.