It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't know?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I just stumbled across this site on the internet. I don't think the administration has even released details about the drawings or proposals. I am sure most of the work as far as financing this thing is going on behind the scenes.

Post subject: UpandIn913 ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn did you play baseball or another sport at UCA? If so what year and position etc.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I had come to UCA to play baseball, but before I was even able to step on the field the summer before I came I had ACL surgery and so it set me back! But no to answer your question I dont play for UCA

Post subject: Injury
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:03 am 
Two-Time All-American

I feel for you not being able to play baseball. I would hate to have my playing days shortend before college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:01 pm 
Practice Squad

Its for sure they are looking at that design as well as a couple of others for the south end of the campus just east of the main soccer field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:13 am 
UserName Retired

Interesting. I guess the current location would become parking?

:D

Post subject: Love Current Location!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:47 am 
Two-Time All-American

Hope they reconsider and build at the existing location. Even if UCA had to play some games at Hendrix or even CHS while construction is in progress. All of the current athletic programs on Donaghey already feel a sense of isolation from the main campus. The weight room at Estes Stadium and the Pepsi Center is suppose to be for the entire athletic department use but, (besides Football, basketball and volleyball) how many of the schools total athletic programs are going to have to run all over campus to use the facilities?

I have never liked the idea of moving athletic facilities out on Donaghey in regards to what's best long term for athletics and intramurals. With UCA's major growth in enrollment anticipated will intramurals have any room to accomodate any expansion for the student body's needs? I hope the decision makers are thinking long term and not quick fix in regards to either of these important programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:42 am 
Two-Time All-American

I can't imagine it affecting intramurals much since most of that takes place on the softball fields, which I assume would go untouched if a baseball stadium is built east of the soccer field.

If intramurals grows rapidly, they can always go back to playing a few games over on the field they used to play on since the band ain't practicing at night.

There is also the Jewel E. Moore Nature Reserve that needs to come down.

If baseball is over there, then you have a complex that houses baseball, softball, men's and women's soccer, and intramurals. How that makes anybody feel isolated is beyond me. It would be nicer than having a baseball stadium cranked in between a crappy apartment complex and three parking lots. Then you could just pave over the existing field and link the parking lots together and have one massive one. That helps alleviate another problem. It would also help in gameday parking for football and basketball.

As for the Pepsi Americas Indoor Sports Complex or the Estes weight room, nobody's making you use the things. They are there for your convenience. They are all athletes, so what's the problem in having to "run all over campus" to use the facilities? What do you want, all the facilities and housing for the athletes built in a radial fashion with the weight room and PAISC stabbed right in the middle?

The UCA campus is not that big. It has grown and will probably need to grow more, but it's still a small, very compact campus. Go take a drive around the Arkansas State campus. Smaller enrollment, considerably more expansive. ASU is around 800-900 acres, UCA is between 255-365, depending on your source.

I wouldn't mind if they renovate what's already there, but I think I would prefer an entirely new setup over on Donaghey.

Post subject: Location, location.......
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:14 am 
Two-Time All-American

King of the South you are wrong about not "having to use the facilities". Weight training and indoor practices are scheduled by all of the coaches in the entire athletic programs.

If our number concern was over parking than we could have moved Estes Stadium to Donaghey Ave as well. Or we could have built the Pepsi Center over there as well and paved over the entire football practice field and built a football practice field on Donaghey for the football team since running around campus would be no big deal.

When I played it was a time issue for us to be on time immediately after class with the baseball field where it presently is. I know that my fellow athletes had a harder time marching down to Donaghey with it's distance and all.

Where does intramurals play flag football now?

Not in disagreement about the Nature Reserve for future growth but there will definitely be some left wing tree huggers upset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:25 am 
Two-Time All-American

Intramurals are played on the intramural softball fields. Softball, football, and soccer all goes on out there. Those would be unaffected.

As for having to use the facilities ... nobody is required to use the PAISC as far as I know. And while indoor practices may be scheduled by all the coaches, I get this odd feeling the volleyball and basketball teams aren't lining up to go run on the fake grass.

And, I would imagine it's not written in stone that the softball team has to use the weight facility in Estes. They could not lift weights, they could use the HPER center, they could build their own weight room.

All of those options are a little out there, but it's also out there for one team to cry about proximity of the weight facility to the game facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:35 am 
Two-Time All-American

There's gonna be a lot of changes before long. Already in the plans are 6.5 M for a student health center, 3.6 M for a FIELD HOUSE AND SOCCER/TRACK FACILITY, and 850 K for parking and sidewalks. Next year is another 16 M for Educational Buildings. I guess what I'm trying to say is that NOTHING is going to be "isolated" once all is said and done. :wink:

Post subject: Not crying.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:40 am 
Two-Time All-American

Was just stating my opinion on what would be best from a daily practical standpoint. Don't know how muscular those softball plaers are and if they use the facilities. And if your argument is that we shouldn't worry about the location than why stop at Donaghey? We could find some really affordable land if we head down to Mayflower.

I am not trying to pick on any programs or have a jealous attitude toward what another sport has in regards to facilities. All I am saying is that we need to make sure we regard our facilities abilitiy to run a top program in regards to accessibility and practicality as far as daily usuage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCA Monkey Baseball92-97 wrote:
All I am saying is that we need to make sure we regard our facilities abilitiy to run a top program in regards to accessibility and practicality as far as daily usuage.

And you've presented no evidence to support your assertion they couldn't with the proposed plans of moving baseball to Donaghey.

And my argument never was that we shouldn't worry about location, period. It was that we shouldn't worry about the location on Donaghey. Don't get (any more) ridiculous.

Post subject: Donaghey Ave......
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:05 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Likewise and and you've presented no evidence to support your assertion they couldn't with the proposed plans of keeping baseball at it's current location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That's because I said I didn't have a problem with it being moved. It could work fine where it's at. It's just my personal preference that it be moved, as I think it could work better. I'm not the one wailing about how putting a baseball field in a new locale would be troublesome. I was offering up reasoning why it wouldn't be such a bad move. I didn't say a thing about the inability to operate out of the current spot.

King of the South wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they renovate what's already there, but I think I would prefer an entirely new setup over on Donaghey.

You can find that at the end of the post that is seven before this one.

Read more, post less. :lol: