It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball Prospect Selected to tryout for Natl Team
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 pm 
All-Conference

Each year Coast to Coast Baseball holds a series of tryouts around the country in order to identify those players we feel have the potential to eventually play college baseball. At each event, players are evaluated in four areas: hitting, fielding, arm strength and speed.

Players are requested by collegiate scouts to attend a tryout, and if selected, the player will then represent the United States as a member of the United States Baseball Team for Two Weeks overseas the summer following their graduation.

Rison's Trey Gerard has been selected to tryout on August 10, 2008 at Ouachita Baptist University. Gerard was requested by scouts from four In-State colleges, to include Arkansas State, UCA, UAPB, and UAM.

Gerard played a dual role for the Wildcats as a Junior, where he pitches in several games, but played catcher in nearly every game of the schedule.

Gerard is also getting collegiate interest from the same schools in football, where hs is the Starting Quarter Back for the Wildcats, as well as playing Line Backer and Safety on defense.

Gerard is 6-foot-1, 195 pounds, and runs a 4.77 forty yard dash. He also has a 3.4 GPA

"I'm very proud to be selected to try out for this team. I'm very honored that these schools have requested that I try out, and I will go out and do my best to make them and my hometown proud." said Gerard.

Gerard lists UCA and UAM as his favorite schools right now.

"I really like UCA and UAM. Both are close to home, and that is important to me because I want my family to be able to watch me play ball when I go to college." said Gerard.

Rison Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Clay Totty also weighed in on this chance for Gerard.

"Trey has really come on this past year for us. In football, he was thrown to the wolves as starting quarter back as a sophomore, and he acted as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders. Now he is out there having fun while he plays, and that has helped him develop as a leader for us in both football and baseball. You can tell that weight has been lifted, and that he has matured, and we look for him to have a good senior season in both sports because of that." said Totty

Gerard was also invited to try out for a team from Oklahoma which represented the Southern United States, but declided not to go play, and it proved to be a move he regrets.

"I was invited to try out for the Oklahoma All Star team and I didn't go, and now I regret that. Now I feel as if I have almost been given a second chance by being invited to try out for the Coast to Coast team, so I am going to this one for sure." said Gerard.

ArkansasVarsity.com wishes Trey Gerard the best of luck at the tryouts on August 10th at OBU. We will keep you updated on future developments. For more information on Coast to Coast Athletics, visit their website by Clicking Here

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/conte ... CID=825493