It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: While I'm on a baseball kick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:58 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Who in the heck were those guys doing baseball games this year on KUCA/KCON? WOW, that was..interesting stuff I must say. Back when I was in school, they had a coouple of guys doing baseball, for the first time on the radio I believe, and man they were spot on. I really enjoyed listening to them. But this group this year was out there. Does anyone know what happened to those original guys, I am just assuming they were students and not hired by the school or radio stations. Why can't Monty Rowell do games either? He's the Voice of UCA, he might as well take over and leave the students to other things.

I will give credit where credit is due though, these guys were better than some of the intramurals they tried to broadcast while I was at the end of my college experince at UCA...BRUTAL! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:30 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

BUMP Ha Ha Ha :lol: I kid I kid, but it is fun to kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I have no idea who those guys are...... I tuned into a couple of their broadcasts and it seemed like they really knew their baseball! All that matters is that the athletic department was happy with it from what was said on campus.
People have talked about those guys who did baseball around your era, and they said it kinda sounded like a Howard Cosell gone bad! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:43 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

That's about the way it was....I had heard them even reference UAM fans as classless goobs right in front of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

really...I can't believe that happened! well they probably deserved it anyway :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:58 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah they probably did :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:46 pm 
Redshirt

Congratulations to Barrett Ward of Des Arc on the completion of his stellar baseball career and degree at UCA. He finished among the schools all time leaders in many catagories. The former Des Arc Eagle multi-sport and academic star has accepted a job in Tulsa from what I know. My cousin coached him at most of his years at DHS. He is a class individual in all aspects of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

selling pharmaceuticals, making some serious jack. Coulda chased the dream and kept playing ball but knew this was his meal ticket. Smart guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:56 am 
Two-Time All-American

Ya Barrett is a really smart kid and is a pleasure to sit down and talk with. He definatly has a good head on his shoulders. Best of luck to him and all the senior from this past season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:19 pm 
Redshirt

He will continue to represent himself,family,Des Arc, Prairie County,AR and UCA well for a long time. A shining example to be followed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

well I wish him the very best for the rest of the years to come!

Post subject: Re: While I'm on a baseball kick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:13 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
Who in the heck were those guys doing baseball games this year on KUCA/KCON? WOW, that was..interesting stuff I must say. Back when I was in school, they had a coouple of guys doing baseball, for the first time on the radio I believe, and man they were spot on. I really enjoyed listening to them. But this group this year was out there.

You know, I didn't think the color guy was too bad. He seemed to have a little more sport-specific knowledge and was good at working the stats into a conversation. Although it was hard to have much of a conversation because...

The play-by-play guy was absolutely horrific. Terrible. I don't think it could've been much worse, actually. He screwed up all the time, be it getting counts wrong, names wrong, scores wrong ... it was always something. Or he'd just freeze up and not know what was going on. I could envision him sitting there drooling all over himself thinking of something to say. Yay for dead air.

And when he did have something to say, he'd usually NOT use baseball terminology and he'd just call things wrong. I liked having the games on the radio, but it wasn't always a pleasant listening experience. Maybe those guys graduated and the next Jack Buck will come through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:20 pm 
All-American

One thing you have to remember about those guys King is that they are just kids trying to learn their way.

I suspect they will come along....hopefully before next baseball season.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ya I imagion with a little practice behind the mike and some coaching from others, they might meet your expectations