It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: recruiting class of 09
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:35 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=7&article=2798

BASEBALL BEARS SIGN FOUR
BASEBALL • Nov 26, 2008

CONWAY, Ark - University of Central Arkansas baseball head coach Doug Clark has signed four Arkansans to NCAA National Letters of Intent. Ethan Harris of White Hall, Tyler Hardin of Greenbrier, Ethan McKinzie of Gravette and Jonathan Houston of Conway will join the Bears' program in the fall of 2009...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Looks like some good signees......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:35 am 
All-American

I'm ready for this season to start. I hope the new stands has a good heater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:25 am 
Two-Time All-American

Only 30 chairbacks left per today's eamil...$100 for donation plus $30 for games...this is a great bargain.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 am 
UserName Retired

McKinzie will play for UCA

Quote:
He said he liked everything at UCA and that the Bears being a Division I school was a major factor in his decision.

"They're building a brandnew baseball facility," he said. "They told me I could have some pretty good playing time as a freshman. It's Division I, which is what I want to play."

For his career, McKinzie has struck out 296 batters in 217 innings and has an overall 2. 15 ERA. He's completed 25 games with 12 shutouts. His pitching on-base average is. 183.

At the plate, McKinzie has a three-year. 477 batting average with 77 RBIs in 64 games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:47 am 
UserName Retired

Sounds like Superboy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:50 am 
Redshirt

A little more about Ethan McKinzie:

Career batting stats:
.472 BA
105 RBI
97 SB
10 HR
33 2B

Career pitching stats:
24-12 record
286.3 IP
315 K
31 CG
2.14 ERA

Saw Ethan Harris this past summer at the Xtra Innings Classic in Jonesboro. Kid is a great hitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm 
UserName Retired

DH sounds like the perfect spot in the batting order for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:56 pm 
UserName Retired

We'll have to replace Graham (sometimes starter) and Huffman (starter) in the infield too. The article said when McKinzie didn't pitch he played SS, so I wonder if he may play a middle infield spot when he's not pitching. The K/inning ratio is pretty impressive, although it was a small division school.

I talked to my cousin about Ethan Harris last weekend. He said he likes playing outfield more than infield and ended up hitting over .500 on the season. He doesn't have homerun power (just one this season that I think was a grandslam), but he just hits hard line drives all over the field.

We know we should have Tye back as a starter in center, but other than Geren I think there are plenty of opportunities for new guys to come in and contribute. We're losing 7 seniors; most of those are key contributors at the plate (Yerby/Smith), in the field (Huffman) or on the mound (Humphrey/Cloud).

Have we signed anyone to play the corner infield positions? I know Blake Roberts is just a freshman, but I don't see anyone after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:05 pm 
Redshirt

McKinzie did play SS when he wasn't pitching. He also played 3rd at times last year as a junior.

While Gravette is a smaller school (4A), McKinzie got a win this year against Bentonville early in the season. Had 8 Ks in 6 IP. Also had 3 Ks in 2 IP against FS Southside (7A runner up) as he picked up the win in relief. He also pitched for the Bentonville 16 year old Babe Ruth World Series team that made it to the semis in '07. If I remember correctly, he hit .400 during that tourney and had something like 20 Ks in the games he pitched. Ethan also pitched one inning at a Perfect Game showcase @ Blinn Junior College in Texas. Struck out the side. (If you're wondering why I know so much, I'm his brother...also one of his asst football and baseball coaches :D ).

You beat me to it saying that Harris enjoyed the outfield. I met his dad this summer, nice guy. He said that Harris would go somewhere he felt he would be able to contribute in the OF. I just remember being very impressed with his bat.

Looking forward to following my brother's career, and the path of many others at UCA. Go Bears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Welcome to all the new Bear baseball players......Gravette may be a smaller school but they have some nice athletes in western Benton County