It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA Field
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm 
Redshirt

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a little information on the UCA Baseball Field. I'm really looking for when it opened. The media guide says it been the home field for 'more than 25 years', but that doesn't really tell me when it opened.

Also, if anybody knows where they played before UCA Field, please tell.

Thanks,
KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Not sure on what field they played on but I can imagine since 1912, there had to be plenty of fields around the campus that were used as baseball fields. See the media guide at ucasports.com under the baseball page and it might be hidden deep in that guide somewhere. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 pm 
UserName Retired

I have been doing some research...and was told that before its current location Bear Field was located where the Physical Therapy Building is now. Just to the East of the East Side of Estes Stadium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 pm 
UserName Retired

That used to be the football practice field Josh..I know it was in the late 80s and early 90s anyway... :oops: There used to be a goal posts where the iron gates are now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm 
UserName Retired

BearCountry wrote:
That used to be the football practice field Josh..I know it was in the late 80s and early 90s anyway... :oops: There used to be a goal posts where the iron gates are now. :D

Yeah, this was WAY back when...before 1965...or so I've been told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:07 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:

And the tennis courts use to be next to the practice field as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 am 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

Yeah, this was WAY back when...before 1965...or so I've been told.

Makes sense..it was a level area of ground that could serve several purposes and was located next to the old gym. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:

Same in 70s.....I m stumped on where the ball field was yet I know I went to some games........seems like the field was close to where it is now but maybe not....wow...I am getting old.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:09 am 
Two-Time All-American

I believe they actually played games at the fairgrounds before UCA Field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:04 pm 
Redshirt

Thanks for the info, guys.

After some more research, I'm still not sure when the field originally opened. I'm working on a new page about UCA Field for my site, Ballparks.BaseballYakker.com. If anybody has any interesting info on the field, I'll add it to the page.

-KB
BaseballYakker.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
Redshirt

Hey, check out this photograph that was in the media guide:

The picture is obviously taken at a baseball field on campus. I'm not very familiar with the UCA campus, so if anybody can identify where this is, it would be quite useful.

-KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:34 pm 
UserName Retired

Yep. That picture appears to be the field straight across from the Farris Center. It looks to be the land behind the student/visitor side of the current football stadium.Behind the batter is the Prince Center and the tall building behind him is the Meadors Hall or the ROTC building I believe. Just a guess but I've seen that side of the Prince center many times...looks like it to me. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
Yep. That picture appears to be the field straight across from the Farris Center. It looks to be the land behind the student/visitor side of the current football stadium.Behind the batter is the Prince Center and the tall building behind him is the Meadors Hall or the ROTC building I believe. Just a guess but I've seen that side of the Prince center many times...looks like it to me. :lol:

Ditto

But just because the picture was taken at that location does it necessarily mean that that is where the baseball field was located?

See if you can find some recognizable names in the media guide that may be able to confirm where the baseball field was at that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:59 pm 
UserName Retired

The light area of the ground behind his butt sure looks like an infield to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:31 pm 
Redshirt

UCAMonkey wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

Ditto

But just because the picture was taken at that location does it necessarily mean that that is where the baseball field was located?

See if you can find some recognizable names in the media guide that may be able to confirm where the baseball field was at that time.

I was led to believe that is a baseball field.

I'm not sure what you mean.