It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB Draft
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 am 
UserName Retired

Guys that aren't likely to be but could be drafted from Arkansas according to PGCrossChecker.

Tyler Hardin LHP Sr. L-L 6-1 170 Greenbrier Greenbrier Central Arkansas
Ethan Harris OF Sr. 6-1 190 White Hall White Hall Central Arkansas
Ethan McKinzie SS Sr. R-R 6-1 175 Gravette Gravette Central Arkansas
Evan Cox (1) RHP So. R-R 6-1 193 Central Arkansas Maumelle Never drafted
Bobby Pritchett RHP/SS Jr. R-R 5-9 165 Central Arkansas Garland, Texas Never drafted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Good luck to all.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 am 
UserName Retired

What? No way.
We need all those guys on campus next year.
It's ok to be a little selfish here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 am 
All-Conference

Dillon Smith probably has the best chance of anybody. He had a monster year for us, is a left-handed hitter with some pop, runs fairly well for his size and plays awesome defense. Plus he has the size scouts drool over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am 
UserName Retired

Great point.
I was just posting what was listed on that site, but Dylan's size (6-3/225) and numbers (.365, 11hr, 55rbi, .597 slg%, and a total of 25 xtra base hits) are as you say.

Being a lefty helps too. My kid doesn't know it yet, but he's probably going to be a lefty hitter.

Dylan's one issue may be that he only played/had one good year. The outfield of 07-08 kept him and Throneberry off the field most of the year. Both turned out to be our top hitters this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am 
UserName Retired

A question for you or anyone else:
Is Dylan's position at the next level (assuming he's interested/pursued) in the outfield? His size and power numbers seem to be good enough to fit at third or first. And his ucasports bio says he played 3rd in high school.

I didn't make many games this year, so I guess I'm asking if he has the speed to play OF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
A question for you or anyone else:
Is Dylan's position at the next level (assuming he's interested/pursued) in the outfield? His size and power numbers seem to be good enough to fit at third or first. And his ucasports bio says he played 3rd in high school.

I didn't make many games this year, so I guess I'm asking if he has the speed to play OF.

I just went to a Traveler's game the other night and neither club seemed too concerned with speed in LF or RF. The home run trend has teams giving up defensive speed for offensive production all the way up to the majors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

this is something I've never really given any thought to, but it just now popped into my head ...

How much harder is it playing OF in the pros than in college, if at all?

There is no real difference in the size of the fields (obviously they vary from park to park, but nothing significant), so that's a virtual wash.

Now, major league batters are better hitters and are, typically, bigger and stronger. That would seem to make it a bit more difficult. But at the same time, college batters are whacking away with super-powered aluminum bats, and balls come screaming off those things. So without having done any research on the matter, I am genuinely curious what the average ball speed is coming off the bats of the average pro hitter and the average Division I hitter.

Most major league centerfielders are going to be faster than most corner OFs collegiate teammates, so you may end up actually having less ground to cover and balls coming off the bats at what could be a similar, if not slower, rate of speed.

As for the throwing side of things, I don't know that there's just a ton more speed in MLB than there is in the NCAA. I bet you'll find more college teams with more guys who can move than you'll find in the MLB. A lot of guys are sluggers, a lot of guys are speed guys, but not a ton of them are both. So while you'll get some faster guys than most of what you faced in college, you'll also see a lot of the David Ortizes (not that you have to throw him out these days), Ryan Howards, Prince Fielders, etc. etc.

And on top of everything, Dillon's a big dude but he ain't molasses out there. He covers ground fine – at least in the SLC. Which brings me back to the original question of just how much harder, if at all, it is to play corner OF in the pros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Other than CF, speed does not seem to be high priority in MLB...bats and, maybe throwing ability, are prime......sometimes only bats......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 am 
UserName Retired

You've convinced me.
There's a reason that the Manny Ramirez's of the world are playing the outfield. Even if he was fast, he plays the outfield about as slowly as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:18 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Plus lots of people buy tickets to just see what Manny will do next....