It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Players
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:46 pm 
Redshirt

How do the new players look? Any surprises? Any good walk-ons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 pm 
UserName Retired

I heard that the FWS was last week??
I don't know how that went, but I know that there are as many newcomers as there are returners.

I only made a couple of games last year, but I'm looking forward to making more this year. I just hope the number of games requiring a parka is less.

101, didn't you check out some of the FWS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

FWS started Saturday, continues on through this week...although I'm sure they are having weather issues getting the games in at this point.

TOO many new faces for me to sort through to get a feel yet. Apparently though, our entire pitching staff has been dealing during the fall though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:40 pm 
Practice Squad

I saw most of the first FWS game on Saturday. Both starting pitchers - Cross and Ariola - were pretty sharp. Particularly impressive was that Ariola, who gave up two runs in his fourth or fifth inning of work (unearned runs), came back out the next inning with a three up, three down inning. He has a pretty nasty slider. Michael Wild closed the game for the Gray team and looked pretty good. Offensively, I believe Noble had a couple of hits and Fuller had a two run double on a ball that he drove over the CF's head. The team looked pretty solid defensively as well. What I did not see is anyone that is going to step up and replace the 14 bombs Yerby hit or the 11 that Smith hit. On this day, the hitters looked more like a bunch of line drive or gap power/doubles type hitters.

Post subject: new players
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm 
Redshirt

I liked what I saw during intersquad. Picked up some good players from JC and true freshmen looked talented. It is nice to have the longball, but there is something to be said for a team that can do the little things to create runs and the defense to maintain a lead. Passed balls may not be as big a problem this year. Team chemistry appeared to be there even though they were split in half. Looks to be a good season.

Post subject: Re: new players
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Coach A wrote:
I liked what I saw during intersquad. Picked up some good players from JC and true freshmen looked talented. It is nice to have the longball, but there is something to be said for a team that can do the little things to create runs and the defense to maintain a lead. Passed balls may not be as big a problem this year. Team chemistry appeared to be there even though they were split in half. Looks to be a good season.

Thanks for your insights and welcome to the board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 pm 
UserName Retired

Excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Michael Wild was dominate throughout the entire fall camp on the mound, including throwing a 2 or 3 hit shutout to clinch the Fall World Series for the Gray/White team Friday afternoon. The Gray team included a lot of the returners like Bobby Pritchett, T-Berry, Blake Roberts, Will Wagner among others.

I apologize to most of you for not getting out there and reporting back in too much, I had other things taking up my time this fall. But I'm getting excited for next Spring already...I hope a trip to Corpus Christi (and beyond) is in store for next spring