It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Opponents
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
All-Conference

You just have to put it out of your head, and let muscle memory take over. You can't think, just make the play when the time comes. Thinking is what leads to errors. He can make the plays or Coach Clark wouldn't have him on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm 
Practice Squad

That same guy that made the errors also hit a couple of missiles over the weekend. College baseball is an offensive game and the big bangers are usually on the corners of the IF and the corners of the OF. Defensively, the club looks pretty solid up the middle, so I am willing to give up a little defense on the corners for the offensive production.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:38 pm 
UserName Retired

Yes, I understand that he's hit the only homer of the season and that the metal bats make the game more about scoring runs. But as some point you have to have some balance. The same is true for power hitters who strikeout a ton. At some point the strikeouts will become to much to keep the homer potential on the bench.

What kind of offensive numbers do you need to put up to stay in the lineup and average 1.3 errors per game? .400 and 20 homers? Probably so.

Having said all that, I'm certainly not expecting the trend to continue. Just like I'm not expecting Tberry to hit .000 throughout the entire season.

Tomorrow's a chance for both of them to snap out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Redshirt

Hopefully the pitching will improve. UALR is a solid team and baseball is a fickle game...we all know that. Plus, sometimes when it is miserably cold there's no telling what can happen. When you are a pitcher your hands and fingers are numb, arm is stiff, etc.

I know there is a freshman pitcher who is currently injured who is hoping to make an impact soon. I hope he does too... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Uncle Ethan wrote:
That same guy that made the errors also hit a couple of missiles over the weekend. College baseball is an offensive game and the big bangers are usually on the corners of the IF and the corners of the OF. Defensively, the club looks pretty solid up the middle, so I am willing to give up a little defense on the corners for the offensive production.

This is true to an extent...I believe LSU, Texas, Arkansas, and all those teams that were in the CWS last year were pretty balanced on both sides of the field. College baseball is an offensive game but in order in win ballgames, you have to be fundamentally sound. I see this kid becoming a DH like we have seen some other the power guys over the past few years. I remember a guy off the top of my head by the name of Kent Taylor, who was a third baseman for the Bears and then just became a DH because of his fielding problems. He could smash the baseball, but just had trouble on the corner.