It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doug Clark Resigns as Head Coach
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 pm 
Practice Squad

so whose names get thrown in the hat for the position? Doubt it's a big name because we don't have the budget for it. Teague said the "candidate pool would be vast" i just hope that pool isn't shallow with lots of pee in it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:36 pm 
UserName Retired

I don't know what the money is like, but I really think this is a "good job." As everyone has said, the SLC is good baseball. The facility isn't total garbage like it has been. The only negative might be the win-loss record.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
Redshirt

If the budgeted salary is $59,400 for a Head Coach, I'm sure that there must be hundreds of thousands in perks for the new hire.

Here a blurb from the AD's bio:

"Teague, a former All-American pitcher at DSU, was awarded the prestigious Gulf South Conference Commissioner’s Trophy as the top student-athlete in the GSC in 1992."

Here's the bio on Teague from the Delta State Athletic Hall of Fame:

Hall of Fame
Bradley B. Teague
Induction Class of 2003
Baseball
- Baseball
- Pitched for Statesmen 1989-92
- Considered by many to be one of DSU's best pitchers
- 4 year letterman
- #2 in career appearances: 63
- #2 in career wins: 29
- #10 in career strikeouts: 172
- #3 in career innings pitched: 288
- #6 in career complete games: 18
- DSU Most Outstanding Pitching Award: 1991-92
- All-Gulf South Conference: 1991-92
- NCAA All-South Central Region: 1991
- NCAA All-American 1st Team: 1991
- NCAA Academic All-AmericanL 1991
- Gulf South Conference Commissioner's Trophy:1991
- Who's Who Among American Colleges & Universities
- Member of ODK Academic Honorary Society

Why would this guy settle for a half-ass baseball program?

I'm guessing that there is a new hire already in the fold. Maybe it was an ex-teammate or coach. Teague has to have some strong baseball connections and I'm setting the over/under on the age of the new coach at 38.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:33 pm 
UserName Retired

jhbvta24 wrote:
I'm sure that there must be hundreds of thousands in perks for the new hire.

I'm setting the over/under on the age of the new coach at 38.

I am definitely NOT sure about that prediction on the perks.

I'll take the under, but it might be close to a push.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

jhbvta24 wrote:
If the budgeted salary is $59,400 for a Head Coach, I'm sure that there must be hundreds of thousands in perks for the new hire.

Is there a typo in there somewhere or are you on drugs?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:57 pm 
Practice Squad

The $59K is why I said we didn't have alot of money to throw around for a name. I know Teague wants a successful program, but given the amount we have to draw in a candidate I will also take the under for the age.

I think Teague will look for someone with in state connections first since we are competing with UALR, ASU, and UofA for student-athletes. If we were still in the Gulf-South we wouldn't have to be near a picky.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
Redshirt

Over !

My guess AGE..........40

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm 
Team Captain

Doug made a little over $60,000, the guess would be the salary would be in the $60,000 to $70,000. range...

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Nice article by David McCollum...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Personally, I really liked Doug as a person. I think what he did on the baseball field should be admired because frankly he is the winningest baseball coach in UCA history. Coach was one of those guys that expected a lot of his players and most often than not, guys didn't like his philosphy but still played hard. He was one of the nicest guys off the field and tried to attend as many other sporting events as possible. I something can also be said for his efforts to graduate players as well. His teams always had a good GPA, which was used as a recruiting tool.

Doug brought a lot of good things to the program. Ex: Win over Ole Miss, Wichita State, and helped put together fundraisers to support the baseball budget. These events helped shape UCA's name within Division 1.

Since the move from D2, UCA baseball has not seen to many bright days. Although I don't think anyone honestly thought we would come in and be world beaters, don't think anyone thought we'd only have one .500 year. The Southland conference is an extremely tough conference in all sports, which is a good thing, but sometimes forces to decisions to be made.

Like all things though, things must come to an end. Sometimes whether you like it or not. I have faith Teague will bring in somebody that will have enough background to get the job done at a winning level.

I hope coach stays at it and I wish him the best!

GO BEARS!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:12 pm 
Practice Squad

Anybody heard any good rumors about candidates?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Head Baseball Coach
Athletics

JOB DESCRIPTION:

•Working closely with the athletics administrative staff and University faculty and staff in order to carry out the mission of the University and the athletics program.

•Oversees all facets of practice, including organizing practice, working with student-athletes on both team and individual skills and preparing opponent scouting reports through breaking down of film.
•Oversees all facets of recruiting prospective student-athletes, including locating, contacting and evaluating prospects who will be quality students at UCA as well as organizing campus and home visits with these prospects. Coaches are also responsible for abiding by all NCAA and SLC recruiting regulations.
•Makes appropriate grant in aid recommendations for prospects, transfer, and returning student-athletes.
•Responsible for overseeing all purchases, including supplies, equipment, services, and team travel. Also responsible for appropriate allocation of recruiting and scholarship monies. Maintains accurate records to not exceed allocated budget.
•Oversees all scheduling of opponents in a timely manner. This includes obtaining the conference schedule, locating appropriate tournament and non-conference opponents to schedule, drafting contracts to schedule opponents, and evaluating appropriate home and away playing dates.
•Oversees all aspects of travel arrangements, including making hotel accommodations and planning meals for road games.
•Oversees the purchase and the care of the appropriate equipment.
•Oversees and monitors student-athletes' academic performance, including grade and attendance monitoring every two weeks, arranging for tutors with director of academic support (when needed), conducting study table (when needed), insuring attendance of student-athletes required to attend mandatory study hall, contacting professors on a regular basis to follow student-athletes' progress, holding periodic student-athlete player academic meetings, and insuring that student-athletes graduate.
•Responsible for being familiar with and complying with all Athletics department, University, SLC, and NCAA policies and regulations. Failure to abide by these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension or termination.
•Coordinate officials for all home contests.
•Oversee the organization of summer camps, including hiring staff, organizing instruction, promotion of camps, arranging facilities, housing and meals for residential camps with camp coordinator.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A BS/BSE college degree with a minimum of 5 years of college coaching experience.

APPLICATION PROCESS: Please send a resume and a completed UCA employment application referencing the Head Baseball Coach position to the University of Central Arkansas, Athletic Department, 201 Donaghey Avenue, Conway, AR 72035. The UCA employment application can be found at http://www.uca.edu/hr/. The application must be received no later than 4:30 PM on the closing date.

CLOSING DATE: June 15,2010

UCA is an AA/EOE.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:59 am 
UserName Retired

Looks like we will find out who the new coach is today...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I am confident we will be very pleased with Brad's hire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Practice Squad

joshuca,
Any idea what time we will hear today? I just checked the UCA website and there is no info about any sort of press conference scheduled for today.