It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coach Gum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 pm 
Team Captain

Welcome Coach Gum!!! Already looking forward to the first game next year. Go Bears!!

Post subject: Re: Coach Gum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Welcome Coach Gum!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Welcome to Coach Gum......great success at SAU.....interesting he is from Bentonville and went to school at Crowder before SAU....

FROM SAU WEBSITE
Entering his fifth season as head coach at Southern Arkansas, Allen Gum has continued and built on the tradition that is Mulerider baseball. A former player at SAU, Gum has now guided Southern Arkansas to a 179-58 record over the past four years, which includes four consecutive 40-plus win seasons, the longest streak in the program’s history.

Gum’s 2009 squad was ranked No. 1 for much of the season and at 52-11, finished with the most wins in school history and advanced to the semi-finals of the NCAA Division II South Region tournament, which the Muleriders hosted by virtue of being the top seed in the region. Advancing to the Gulf South Conference tournament for the 11th consecutive year, the club captured SAU’s second league championship with a 5-0 sweep in the tourney, and also claimed its first-ever share of a GSC West Division title. Despite not being one of the final eight teams to advance to the College World Series, Southern Arkansas still finished the season ranked fourth.

Gum’s first year (2006) at the helm of the Muleriders proved to be quite a successful one as he led the team to a 40-18 overall record and the program’s first-ever GSC championship. SAU advanced to the South Central Region tournament, making it to the semi-finals before their season ended as the 18th-ranked team in the country.

In 2007, Gum’s squad concluded their first-ever back-to-back 40-win seasons as members of the NCAA when the team finished 41-17 and again made the conference tournament field. The following year, Southern Arkansas finished 46-12 and reached a No. 1 national ranking for the first time in the history of the program. They made their 10th straight league tournament and moved on to the semi-finals of the South Central regional, ending the season ranked 12th.

A native of Bentonville, Gum played collegiate baseball at Crowder Community College (now Crowder College) in Neosho, Mo., before playing two years at Southern Arkansas for Coach Steve Goodheart, who retired in 2003 after coaching the Muleriders for 23 years. Gum is a member of the Crowder College Baseball Hall of Fame.

In 1990, Gum led SAU in hitting as a junior outfielder with a .338 average and fielded .975 as Southern Arkansas won the Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference (AIC) championship with a 20-4 record and finished the season 27-23 overall. As a senior, Gum hit .328 and fielded .961 while helping the Muleriders win their sixth consecutive AIC championship with a 20-4 record and an overall record of 44-15-1. The 1991 team also won the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Area 5 Tournament by defeating the nation’s number-one ranked team, North Florida, in the championship game, to advance to the NAIA World Series in Lewiston, Idaho. Gum was honored with the Charles Berry Hustle Award at the World Series.

Prior to returning to SAU, Gum served as assistant baseball coach at Sheridan High School for six years, before moving to Batesville as the head baseball coach in 2000. Batesville had a 75-25 record in his three years with the Pioneers, and was the Class AAAA runner-up in 2002 and 2003. Gum served two seasons (2004-2005) as an assistant coach for Southern Arkansas before assuming the head coaching duties.

Gum is married to the former Shenna Calloway of Strong, and they have two sons, Tyler and Calloway.

Modified: March 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:38 pm 
Practice Squad

what an outstanding hire. proven player development, already has recruiting ties in state, and wants to be a bear. Welcome Coach Gum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:57 pm 
UserName Retired

I think the thing that I would be worried about from hiring a D2 coach is a repeat of men's basketball. The thing I notice from the SAU roster is that while they have tons of transfers, they are from jucos and not D1 schools.

I did see four transfers from D1 schools (two from SLC schools). Three of those were key players.

Summary: I am excited.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm 
Redshirt

Let's hope that he's able to recruit outside of AK and TX for D-1 players. Best of luck and all of us UCA fans are willing to help!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 am 
Two-Time All-American

jhbvta24 wrote:
Let's hope that he's able to recruit outside of AK and TX for D-1 players. Best of luck and all of us UCA fans are willing to help!!

I don't think we've ever signed a player from Alaska.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:49 am 
UserName Retired

His current roster has a few from Michigan, Iowa and Tennessee.
I think you can build a very good roster from primarily Arkansas and Texas players though. He's done a pretty good job of it on the D2 level.

Now he's got the challenge to do the same on the next level.

Having said that, I don't care where he gets the players, California, Canada or Maine, if they can come in and help the program be successful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

video also embedded in link below... And yes, I'm very excited about this hire, too!

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=7&article=3785

GUM TAKES OVER UCA BASEBALL PROGRAM
BASEBALL • Jun 15, 2010

The University of Central Arkansas named Allen Gum as its new head baseball coach on Tuesday.

Gum compiled a 226-68 record in five seasons at the helm of Southern Arkansas and recorded five consecutive 40-plus win seasons. His .769 winning percentage is the second best in the Gulf South Conference. The Muleriders have also spent 24 weeks at number one in the nation over the past three seasons.

"I've thought about this job for 20 years, how great a situation this could be," said Gum. "I knew this was a great place. We want to make a difference, and a lot of people at this university are difference makers."...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/2010-06-15/saus-allen-gum-new-baseball-coach-uca-0

SAU's Allen Gum new baseball coach at UCA
Posted: June 15, 2010 - 4:06pm
By David McCollum

Allen Gum, who has led Southern Arkansas University to five straight 40-plus win seasons, is the new baseball coach at the University of Central Arkansas.

He succeeds Doug Clark, who was dismissed after last season.

The Muleriders were 47-10 last season, won the Gulf South Conference and reached the finals of the NCAA Division II South Regional. SAU was 52-11 last season...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/2010-06-15/updated-uca-fills-baseball-vacancy-gum-sau

UPDATED: UCA fills baseball vacancy with Gum from SAU
Posted: June 15, 2010 - 8:57pm
By DAVID MCCOLLUMLOG CABIN STAFF WRITER

Allen Gum, the new baseball coach at the University of Central Arkansas, chuckled during a phone interview concerning a question whether he had certain fundamental approaches to baseball.

“We will have time-honored, fundamental principles to everything we do,” he said, “to how we play, how we approach practice and different situations all the way down to the way we fold our towels in the locker room.”

That approach has apparently worked bigtime for Gum, whose program at Southern Arkansas University has been the most successful baseball program (as far as record) in Arkansas over the last five years with five 40-plus win seasons and a 52-11 mark last year. His Muleriders were 47-10 this past season, losing to the University of Tampa in the NCAA Division II South Region final. His five-year record at SAU was 226-68...

Quote:
“When I played at SAU, I always thought UCA would be a great place,” Gum said. “Conway is a beautiful city, and UCA has a beautiful campus. I always thought there was potential for a great program. What impressed me when I interviewed are the facilities are here and the administrative support is here ... I’ve thought this was a great job for 20 years, what a great opportunity this might be. That was looking from the outside. Now from the inside, I know this is a great place.”...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm 
Team Captain

Sounds exciting, welcome aboard coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
http://thecabin.net/news/2010-06-15/saus-allen-gum-new-baseball-coach-uca-0

SAU's Allen Gum new baseball coach at UCA
Posted: June 15, 2010 - 4:06pm
By David McCollum

Allen Gum, who has led Southern Arkansas University to five straight 40-plus win seasons, is the new baseball coach at the University of Central Arkansas.

He succeeds Doug Clark, who was dismissed after last season.

The Muleriders were 47-10 last season, won the Gulf South Conference and reached the finals of the NCAA Division II South Regional. SAU was 52-11 last season...

For the record Coach Clark resigned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:07 am 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Gum’s overall philosophy a lot to chew on

Quote:
“I will do anything to win a game,” Gum said. “I believe in attacking baseball from every angle, which means home runs, doubles, sacrifice bunts and stolen bases.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
As a young coach, he said he’s developed ideas from several older coaches, including Steve Goodheart, longtime SAU coach, and Mike Kennison, the highly successful coach at Delta State.