It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What I Saw
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 am 
Practice Squad

I was at the field last Saturday, January 29th and took in a squad game and some practice. I could hardly believe my eyes. The ballclub looks somewhere between 900 and 1000% better. Last year's ballclub went 19-35. Barring a catastrophic rash of injuries, this team should win at least 30 games. This is not a ballclub that will finish in the bottom of the SLC. Last year's ballclub lost something like a dozen games by one run...that will not happen this year. Last year's ballclub generally lost games through an accumulation of game long miscues. For example, UCA runner on third with one out in first inning and we don't get a ground ball to the right side, UCA fails to turn a double play in the third, UCA runner not advancing on a ball in the dirt in the fifth, opponent steals home in sixth because pitching staff hasn't been taught what to do when a runner breaks, UCA throwing to the wrong base from the OF and allowing the opponent to advance in the seventh leading to a run, UCA not properly blocking a ball behind the plate in the eighth and allowing an opponent to advance from second to third with one out and the run scoring on a sac fly on the next pitch and then not getting a bunt down in the ninth - all of which accumulated to result in losses. This is more commonly known as fundamental baseball. This will not happen with this year's ballclub. Coach Gum will not allow it and the attention to detail that has been demanded during the fall and in off-season work will manifest itself in a dramatic improvement in the record. The clearest example of attention to detail I can give is that during BP, the pitchers were doing PFP (pitcher's fielding practice) after every swing. There is no wasted time...there is no standing around. The increased dedication in the weight room is also evident in many of the ballplayers that I saw.

Ultimately, it will come down to pitching and that is why the pre-season polls pick the Bears so low - very little returning pitching. The much improved defense will dramatically improve the pitching and the off-season work the pitchers have obviously put in should help dramatically.

I guess what all this means is that I don't see this team beating itself. If it loses a game, then it will be because the other team was better on that day, not because the Bears gave the game away. That will make for a much more fun season to watch.

Post subject: Re: What I Saw
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 pm 
Redshirt

I've heard from a few players on the team and they also feel that they will be dastically improved on last year. They have commented on how much harder they worked during this offseason compared to last. It's just an entirely different mindset for the boys. Go Bears and let's have a great season!

Post subject: Re: What I Saw
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Work ethic and attitudes have not been an issue in camp so far. Everything they do out on the field has a purpose, and there is hardly any down time at all during practice times. They are working extremely hard right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how this team, and season develops, especially if the pitching holds up and people step up and fill roles.