It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:32 pm 
UserName Retired

Why in the heck didn't fisher go for the field goal? Bone headed call. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I'm a proponent of going for it on 4th down more than most, but in that situation I'm kicking the FG unless I'm on my third-string kicker or the wind is just going crazy. Neither was the case there, and 49 yards isn't exactly a world-class kick for an NFL kicker. Pretty dumb. And I think that a vertical pass in that situation is even worse. Way too risky. The potential payoff is huge, but the reward there isn't really worth the risk given the odds.

Of course I say that and really the receiver was open but Collins overthrows him. That's a big part of the danger in doing that.

The play before that one wasn't real hot either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:44 pm 
Team Captain

Honey Bear wrote:
Why in the heck didn't fisher go for the field goal? Bone headed call. :x
Amen, I am a Titans fan and I was in awe of what happened. Kick the field goal! And to and injury to stupidity, Haynesworth is gonna be out with a knee injury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Jacob played pretty well today....he did get whacked a few times but he is a presence on the right end....looked to me like he was double teamed more often than not....... losing Big Al is not good.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Ford quietly making a difference for Titans

Quote:
Titans defensive end Jacob Ford hasn’t gone unnoticed over his first two NFL seasons, but for a different reason than some might think.

“Everybody teases him about the way he dresses. He always comes around with bright colors on and crazy shoes,’’ defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch said. “But it doesn’t seem to bother him. He keeps wearing it, and he pulls it off.’’

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 am 
UserName Retired

Because I have to be at work today:
Jacob leads all rookies and 2nd year defensive linemen in sacks (7) and is third in forced fumbles (2). He's 12th in tackles (26) for 2nd year DLs.

And [urlhttp://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3800812]here's an interesting look [/url]at who should win the MVP awards - semi-Jacob-related. It's something to read if you're stuck at work with two other people today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:49 am 
Two-Time All-American

Probably translates into a pay raise for next year...good job....get another couple in the playoffs the ante goes up even more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:12 am 
UserName Retired

Worth keeping around

UCA’s Ford validates Titans’ faith in ability

BY NICK WALKER ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Jacob Ford says now is not the time to be content.
Not with the Baltimore Ravens coming to Nashville today to take on Ford and the Tennessee Titans in an AFC divisional playoff game at LP Field.
“I can’t afford to sit around and think about how good a season I’ve had,” said Ford, who has seven sacks as a defensive end for one of the NFL’s best defenses. “We’ve got a big game ... coming up and we want to make it to the Super Bowl.”
The mere mention of the Super Bowl by Ford would have sounded far-fetched after Ford dropped out of the University of Memphis after one semester in 2001, got one job unloading trucks for FedEx, then another taking apart computers for Hewlett Packard before resurrecting his football career at Holmes Community College in Goodman, Miss., and later at Central Arkansas in Conway.
“When I flunked out, I was really down about it,” Ford said. “When I flunked out, I didn’t want to get back into football.”
He almost didn’t.
Ford began working for FedEx in Memphis loading trucks at their hub.
His brother Jamil and Jamil’s wife both worked for Hewlett Packard in Houston and persuaded Ford to move there and work for a while before he was ready to go back to school.
Ford said the work he did in Houston wasn’t that bad, but it was enough to show him that he needed to get back into football.
“I was basically checking computers that got sent back to H-P,” Ford said. “We’d dismantle them and make sure that there were no viruses or broken parts.”
Returning to college football was an arduous task. Ford enrolled at Holmes Community College, where he showed flashes of ability during his one season with the Bulldogs in 2004.
But the NCAA’s 5-yearsto-play-4 guidelines dictated that Ford could no longer play at a Division I program like Memphis and he had to drop a division to gain immediate eligibility.
Ford chose Central Arkansas over North Alabama.
“His coaches at Holmes knew that there was something special about him,” said Central Arkansas assistant Brian Early, who was responsible for recruiting Ford.
“He just had a knack for getting to the quarterback. And we knew that even though he was a little undersized at 214, 215 pounds, we could get him there.”
Ford made his presence felt immediately in 2005, recording 54 tackles, 9 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss and earning NCAA Division II All-America honors as the Bears made it to the quarterfinals of the Division II playoffs.
His senior season, he got his shot at NCAA Division I football again. Sort of.
The Bears began their transition to NCAA Division I’s Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) and Ford began making his case for the NFL.
Ford had 48 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss, 8 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery and was named first-team All-America by College Sporting News.
“He had a really high motor and he was constantly in pursuit of the quarterback,” Central Arkansas Coach Clint Conque said. “I knew that he had a chance to be an impact NFL player if somebody gave him the chance.”
Ford was still undersized at 6-4, 255 pounds, but the Tennessee Titans took a chance and drafted him in the sixth round of the 2007 NFL Draft with the 204th overall selection.
Part of Tennessee’s interest had to do with Ford running the second-fastest 40-yard dash time (4.63 seconds) among defensive endsat the NFL combine.
Then adversity hit again. Ford’s rookie season essentially ended before it began when he suffered a torn Achilles tendon in his left leg on Aug. 14, 2007.
“I was really down about it because I had worked so hard to get to the point where I was out there competing for my spot,” Ford said. “It was rough, because my body had never failed me before.”
Ford said he had never experienced a setback like the one he was dealing with that summer, plus he didn’t know what to expect from the Titans since he was a sixthround selection.
So, instead of focusing on what he couldn’t control, he channeled his energies into rehabilitating his leg and trying to come back stronger.
“They told me to just keep working at it,” Ford said. “All the players were real supportive of me and just told me to focus on getting better.”
Those close to the Titans, like beat writer Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean in Nashville, recognize how far Ford has come.
“Coming in as a rookie, he was really behind the eightball,” Wyatt said.
“He had a strep-throat incident and then he tore his Achilles. This off-season, with him getting bigger and stronger, he really started to impress people. His coaches raved about him during the off-season. They saw enough of him that he was worth keeping around.”
Conque said he can empathize with his former player.
Conque was signed as a free agent by the Los Angeles Raiders after an All-America career as a linebacker at Nicholls State in Thibodaux, La.
A knee injury, however, prevented Conque from ever seeing the field for the Raiders.
“The difference, though, is that the Titans saw something in Jacob that told them they needed to keep him around,” Conque said.
By the time the season started, Ford had earned a role splitting time with defensive end Javon Kearse.
His ability to play several positions on the defensive line has come in handy as both Kearse and the team’s other starting defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, have missed time because of injury.
“He is so quiet and I don’t think a lot of people know how hard he works on improving,” Vanden Bosch told the Tennesseean.
“When given the opportunity he has really stepped up.”
Ford said that while he’s pleased with the progress he’s made in his first season, he knows that there are areas he needs to improve on, even if one of those things — his animal alter ego — has nothing to do with football and is totally beyond his control.
Each Titans defensive lineman ha a picture above hislocker of an animal that — by group vote — is chosen as the one that looks the most like the player.
Albert Haynesworth has a bear,
Jason Jones is a giraffe, Tony Brown has a wild boar.
Kearse doesn’t have an animal above his locker, but according to Jones, Kearse is a komodo dragon. What’s Ford’s? A koala bear. “I’m not real happy about that one,” Ford said. “Why couldn’t I have something fiercer than a koala bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 pm 
UserName Retired

It's almost game time folks! Free drinks and a cookout at HBs house! :wink: :lol:

......just kiddding!

Go Jacob! Sack that Sicko...I mean Flacco...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:26 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Very nice article by Nick Walker.....need to give him props with his editor....

Unfortunately Titans lost 13-10 to Ravens today.......Ford has 2 solo tackles as did Haynesworth and Kearse...Vanden Bosch only had one....

Great season for Ford......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm 
UserName Retired

And football season is officially over for me now.
I can wait until the Super Bowl to figure out who I want to cheer for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well, Carolina with D'Angelo Williams (Wynne, AR) is another of my favorites but is has only 38 yards in 3rd quarter and Panthers trail Cardinals 27-7.....

I'll have to admit that Ravens are a tough defense to score on as are Titans..great game ..just wrong outcome....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Defensive line

Key stat: The Titans had 44 sacks, their biggest total since 2000.
Status report: Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, but the rest of the bunch is back. Kyle Vanden Bosch had an injury-marred season. Jevon Kearse has a year remaining on his contract and will be back, as will Tony Brown. Player to watch: Jacob Ford, who was productive. Rookie Jason Jones showed positive signs, but rookie William Hayes has work to do. Dave Ball and Kevin Vickerson add depth.

What Titans should do: Re-sign Haynesworth. If they can’t reach a deal with the big fella, things will look dramatically different, and the new defensive coordinator will have to blitz a lot more than Jim Schwartz did. Ford deserves more snaps after racking up seven sacks, but he needs to get stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 am 
UserName Retired

Congratulations to Jacob ...

According to NFL.com, approximately $105 million dollars worth of performance-based pay has been distributed to players after the 2008 season.

"Under the system, performance-based pay is computed by using a “player index.” To produce the index, a player’s regular-season playtime (total plays on offense, defense and special teams) is divided by his adjusted regular-season compensation (full season salary, prorated portion of signing bonus, earned incentives). Each player’s index is then compared to those of the other players on his team to determine the amount of his pay."

Here are each team's leader in performance-based pay:
Tennessee Titans - Jacob Ford, DE - $238,647

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:20 am 
UserName Retired

Awesome job!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next