It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Let's keep fingers crossed for Jacob.....we know he is good guy and fine player...hope he gets a good opportunity to show what he can do.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:08 pm 
UserName Retired

The following is an article by Bob Holt in today's ADG:

FAYETTEVILLE — It took six years and three college stops, but Jacob Ford has put himself in position to be picked in the 2007 NFL Draft this weekend.

Ford, who played defensive end at Central Arkansas the past two seasons, likely will have his name called by an NFL team on Sunday, when rounds four through seven are held.

“We’re hearing that he’s a solid fifth-round grade,” UCA Coach Clint Conque said. “But a couple of scouts I spoke with said they would not be surprised if somebody reached up into the fourth round and grabbed him there.”

Ford wasn’t thinking about playing in the NFL after flunking out of Memphis in the spring of 2002 following a promising freshman season for the Tigers in which he played as a backup and on special teams. He spent most of 2002 and 2003 working in Memphis and Houston, where he loaded and unloaded trucks, sorted packages and mail and boxed computers for delivery.

“I didn’t want to be doing something like that for the rest of my life,” said Ford, who starred at Memphis Melrose High School before signing with the Tigers. “It made me appreciate the opportunity to get a college education and play football that I had before that.

“ So I really wasn’t thinking about anything NFL-wise before I came to UCA. I was just excited about getting to go back to college and playing football again.”

Ford went to Holmes Community College in Goodman, Miss., in 2004 and resumed his football career, regained his NCAA eligibility and transferred to UCA, where he played as a junior and senior.

“A lot of schools could have shied away from me,” Ford said. “I’m appreciative of the opportunity Holmes and UCA gave me to get my life back together.”

Conque and UCA defensive line coach Brian Early said Ford never was a problem on or off the field.

“He’s gotten a second chance here, and he didn’t want to blow that,” Early said.

Lester Archambeau, Ford’s agent, said it’s a plus for Ford that he showed the ability to overcome setbacks in college and gain maturity as a player and person.

“Jacob knows what it’s like not to have football, and he doesn’t want to experience that again, so his work ethic and the way he plays really speaks to that,” Archambeau said. “He learned a lesson early on that football isn’t a guarantee, that it is a special opportunity, whether it’s college or the pros.

“ I think that actually gives him an advantage over some of the guys he’ll be competing with in the NFL, because some guys haven’t had that experience. If you have to learn it in the pros, that second chance isn’t as easy to catch.”

Ford, 6-4, 249 pounds, made 102 tackles in his two seasons with the Bears, including 32 1 / 2 for lost yardage. He also forced 10 fumbles. Playing against NCAA Division I-AA competition last season after UCA made the move from

Divi-1 sion II status, Ford had 15 / 2 tackles for losses totaling 73 yards. “Without question he’s the most dominant defensive football player we’ve had here at UCA, and he’s one of the best I’ve been around in 24 years of coaching,” Conque said. “He’s not a very vocal person, but he brought his hard hat and lunch pail every day and went to work. He was a cornerstone player for us.”

Early said that when Ford arrived at UCA, he was a little undersized and rusty, but worked hard to make up for lost time on the field.

“He can get off blocks, and he’s great with his hands,” Early said. “When it’s third-and-long, man, he can come screaming off the edge out there.”

Several Web sites devoted to the NFL Draft list Ford among the best “sleepers” available.

At the IntaJuice North-South All-Star Classic in Houston, Ford had an interception that set up a touchdown. He was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4. 65 seconds, second-fastest among the defensive ends, and he had a good workout at UCA’s pro day.

The Tennessee Titans had Ford visit their headquarters recently. Archambeau said other teams expressing interest in Ford include San Diego, Cleveland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Denver, Baltimore and the New York Giants.

“Some teams will call and say, ‘What about this kid ?’” Archambeau said. “Other teams won’t contact you because they don’t want to tip their hand. There’s a little bit of poker playing going on.”

Archambeau said teams that run 3-4 and 4-3 schemes have been showing interest in Ford, so he could end up as an outside linebacker or stay at defensive end.

“I’ll be happy to find out where I’m going,” Ford said of awaiting the draft for a few more days. “I can get some closure to this part of the process and get ready to play for my new team instead of wondering about it.”

Ford has been working out in Conway, where he usually sees the UCA coaches each day.

“He’s in tremendous shape, and he’s got a great attitude in his approach to this weekend,” Conque said. “He’s a very focused young man, and I think the setback he had when he left Memphis really made him grow up and get tougher mentally.

“ What he’s gone through is a great story for all young kids. It was tough for Jacob, but obviously it worked out well for him in the end.”

JACOB FORD FILE COLLEGE Central Arkansas HIGH SCHOOL Memphis Melrose POSITION Defensive end HEIGHT 6-4 WEIGHT 249 pounds 40-YARD DASH 4. 65 seconds NFL DRAFT STATUS Projected to be picked between the fourth and sixth rounds. AT UCA Started two seasons and made a combined 102 tackles, including 32 1 / 2 for lost yards. Also forced 10 fumbles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Nice story and thanks for posting.

If we are serious about letting ADG hear from us, here is a great chance. Need to email Bob Holt and Wally Hall and let them know you appreciated the story:

bholt@arkansasonline.com

whall@arkansasonline.com

Hoping the best for Jacob...

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:00 am 
All-Conference

Mr. Ford will be on 103.7 the Buzz at 11:30 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:53 pm 
UserName Retired

BEARS2006 wrote:
New info on Jacob:

At the scrimmage Aaron called Jacob and Jacob said he was on his way to Memphis. Here's something out of KFFL in Tennessee:

Titans | Ford visits
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:17:06 -0700

Terry McCormick, of the Nashville City Paper, reports the Tennessee Titans met with Central Arkansas DE Jacob Ford.

No story to follow, but just a tasty bit of info...mmmm..melt in your mouths... :lol:

So tasty that Tennessee bit! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:07 am 
UserName Retired

Interview with Titans Radio