It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:17 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Diamonds in the Natural State Rough

He quietly broke his school’s record for passing touchdowns in a single game last season (7 TDs.)

I am not sure how quietly making ESPN's #1 play of the day is, but a good read anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm 
Two-Time All-American

an over-the-top release?! Wow. That is someone who has clearly never watched Nathan play. He's closer to sidearm than over the top. That was something they tried to "fix" his freshman year but thought better of it because he was plenty effective as-is.

And I still don't buy that his size should be an issue in the NFL. Just because scouts may get a hard-on over guys who are 6'5 doesn't mean they are great QBs. It's like having a WR who is 6-6, runs a 4.3 and couldn't catch the clap in Vegas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 am 
UserName Retired

UpandIn913 wrote:
I found this on the SHSU board
http://www.nfldraftsite.com/index.htm#1
it's a mock draft but hey its something

That mock has his going as the #4 QB.

And, I was thinking the same thing about the "over-the-top release" comment. It was nice enough to write something about him though... I'm guessing there hasn't been much Bear news on the 40/29 blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ESPN heads mentioned that NFL scouts are taking a lot closer looks at FCS QBs to try to get below radar screen like Baltimore did with Joe Flacco from Delaware. They did not mention any names but said there were several very good talents at FCS schools who should have good shots next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm 
UserName Retired

Mel Kiper Update:
Unfortunately, I'm not an "Insider," so I can't read the rest.
Quote:
The quarterback dual between Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Texas' Colt McCoy wasn't the only one of interest over the weekend. NFL scouts were also keeping a close eye on the one that took place in the Southland Conference between Central Arkansas' Nathan Brown and Sam Houston State's Rhett Bomar -- the top two prospects at the position in the Football Championship Subdivision ranks.

Central Arkansas won the high scoring affair 48-46, and Brown connected on 20 of 28 passes for 269 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. The reigning Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Year possesses good mechanics, throws on the move effectively and is very accurate in the short-passing game (completing 71.2 percent of his passes this season).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 pm 
Team Captain

i wish i was an insider so i could see the rest of what kiper has to say about rhett and nathan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 am 
UserName Retired

treyuca wrote:
Mel Kiper Update:
Unfortunately, I'm not an "Insider," so I can't read the rest.
Quote:
The quarterback dual between Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Texas' Colt McCoy wasn't the only one of interest over the weekend. NFL scouts were also keeping a close eye on the one that took place in the Southland Conference between Central Arkansas' Nathan Brown and Sam Houston State's Rhett Bomar -- the top two prospects at the position in the Football Championship Subdivision ranks.

Central Arkansas won the high scoring affair 48-46, and Brown connected on 20 of 28 passes for 269 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. The reigning Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Year possesses good mechanics, throws on the move effectively and is very accurate in the short-passing game (completing 71.2 percent of his passes this season).

Mel Kiper Praises Brown, Bomar
Quote:
On Monday, ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper had high praise for two Southland Conference quarterbacks. He wrote this article about Central Arkansas’ Nathan Brown and Sam Houston State’s Rhett Bomar, for ESPN.com:

“The quarterback dual between Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford and Texas’ Colt McCoy wasn’t the only one of interest over the weekend. NFL scouts were also keeping a close eye on the one that took place in the Southland Conference between Central Arkansas’ Nathan Brown and Sam Houston State’s Rhett Bomar -- the top two prospects at the position in the Football Championship Subdivision ranks.

“Central Arkansas won the high scoring affair 48-46, and Brown connected on 20 of 28 passes for 269 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. The reigning Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Year possesses good mechanics, throws on the move effectively and is very accurate in the short-passing game (completing 71.2 percent of his passes this season).

“A former starter with the Sooners, Bomar threw for 361 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. It marked the third straight game that he has thrown for 340 yards or more. The thing that impressed me the most on Saturday was the touch he showed in tight coverage on the deeper passes. He gets plenty of velocity on his throws, continues to get better with age and is capable of picking up an occasional first down with his legs when need be.

“Brown is the more-accomplished collegiate signal-caller of the two, but I give Bomar the slight edge when it comes to pro potential.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm 
UserName Retired

It's almost scary to think just how much better Nathan would have been next year if we hadn't needed him so badly his freshman year. One more year of maturity and one more year of eligibility would have made him a top pro prospect. I think he'll do just fine anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
It's almost scary to think just how much better Nathan would have been next year if we hadn't needed him so badly his freshman year. One more year of maturity and one more year of eligibility would have made him a top pro prospect. I think he'll do just fine anyway.

I thought he was a red shirt freshman when he first started. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:11 pm 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:
Honey Bear wrote:

I thought he was a red shirt freshman when he first started. :?

You can't trust HB's mind anymore... :wink: :lol: He did redshirt his first year (2004).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:27 pm 
UserName Retired

I just did that to see if anyone was paying attention. You both get an A. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 am 
UserName Retired

Brown is shy of 6-2, still a player

Quote:
Ask around about University of Central Arkansas quarterback Nathan Brown and the doubters always cite his height. No way he's 6-2, they say, and they're right.

Brown is 6-1 5-8, according to the precise pro scouts, says UCA coach Clint Conque...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:10 am 
UserName Retired

LINK

Word is, there have been 30-of-32 teams in the NFL which sent scouts to see Brown this season. The Carolina Panthers were the 30th on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Somebody will get a dandy with Nathan......Branson is a sleeper also....speed, size and hands.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 pm 
UserName Retired

The Skins.....yeah...after watching the scout during the Sammie game..unless it was all show..it'll be the skins...that's my prediction anyway. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next