It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Nathan led a second td drive. The only two td drives for the North squad.
Pat White stole the show at the QB position.

Code:
NORTH Passing
                C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Nathan Brown     9/15   92      6.1   1   0
Rhett Bomar      6/12   75      6.3   0   0
Graham Harrell   4/13   40      3.1   0   1
Team             19/40   207   5.2   1   1

Nathan led the North in every category but avg. He led the game in completions, attempts, yards, completion %.

Looking at the stats, White didn't have have a spectacular game... but he did win MVP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Nobody looked like Marino out there, but I don't think Nathan did anything but help himself tonight.

I was pretty excited that he got to come in cold for a 2-minute drill. Of course, Williams helped him out quite a bit with the return, but it was good to see him engineer a TD drive in that situation. He had two incompletions on that drive, and I'm not sure one of them was really his fault. The first one, I believe, where he threw the out but Iglesias had ran in. I don't see why you would call for that kind of route in a situation like that, so I have to assume dude just ran the wrong way.

The first deep pass on the last drive of the first half was nice. Thing went right about 45 yards in the air, and Iglesias just didn't go get it. It wasn't grossly overthrown, the announcers even commented that dude had sort of stopped running. If he hadn't, it was a 75-yard touchdown pass.

The second one he got under a bit, but it was a junk play anyway.

In the second half, taking that sack was ugly looking when the running back was clearly open and it would've been an easy throw. No idea why he didn't just let it fly. That was probably his worst-looking moment of the night.

But for the most part, he threw the ball with pretty good zip (hit a couple deep outs) and even got commended on his handoffs. That sounds ridiculous, but getting it done right and done quickly is taken for granted. And he looked good on his pitches. May have been a time or two he made some bad throws, and the height issue reared its ugly head on at least one occasion when he got one batted down at the line.

Even with that happening, it wasn't nearly as problematic as the TV guys would have you believe. They'd have you believe successful QBs come only in 6-foot-4 models with a high release point. Nathan's thrown like that his entire career and been fine, so I don't foresee it being any great hinderance moving forward. Textbook? No. Effective? Yes. His ability will make more positive plays than his lack of height will cause negative plays.

Not a 24 of 28, 318 yard, 4 TD 0 INT performance that we've grown accustomed to, but considering the circumstances I thought it was a solid performance. Not great, but who was?

And leading the team's only two touchdown drives, including converting some big 3rd and long situations, can only be a positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:56 pm 
UserName Retired

The announcers did put a positive on Nathan in the fact he gets rid of it fast and accurately and that he plays great in game time situations. :!: But Nathan's Oline didn't do that good of a job for him and the defense of the South just rushed in like Nor'easter! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:38 am 
UserName Retired

For the north qbs Nathan was most impressive. Harrell was pitiful considering all the hype he gets and Bomar, for this game anyway, was below average. I'm not real impressed with his mobility.

Don't know if Nathan will make it in the bigs or not but he does have a way of producing when needed. I'd give him as good of a chance as any of the other qbs, on either team, to make a roster somewhere for the coming season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:53 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA quarterback executes a familiar play

Someone mentioned it in the other thread:
Quote:
Nathan Brown said he loved the play call and was familiar with the play that resulted in a touchdown Saturday night.

In the waning moments of the first half of the Senior Bowl, Brown, the University of Central Arkansas quarterback, ran a bootleg that resulted in a 4-yard touchdown pass to Oregon's Jeremiah Johnson for the North's first touchdown.

It was a play Brown often used at UCA to throw to a tight end or fullback, including Nick Cowger of Vilonia.

"We used that play several times at UCA, so (head) coach (Clint) Conque and coach (Todd) Cooley (UCA's offensive coordinator) should have been happy to see it run on national television," said Brown in a telephone interview from Mobile, Ala., after the all-star game on the NFL Network. "It was great call. I was able to get out of the box and hit him (Johnson) in the flat and he did a good job getting the ball into the end zone."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:30 pm 
UserName Retired

SENIOR BOWL : Brown's drives can't match South

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
UserName Retired

Here's somebody who thinks Brown should be on their team:

Quote:
Nathan Brown should be our guy in the 3rd round. The guy is 4 year starter at Central Arkansas, and to all those who don’t think that a small time school prospect could not be considered I give you Steve McNair & Rich Gannon.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/25/736018/video-2009-senior-bowl-hig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:12 pm 
All-American

Just got home a little while ago from the road trip to south Louisiana. Didn't get to see the Senior Bowl, but have enjoyed everyone's posts on Nathan.

Picked up copies of the Houston Chronicle and the Dallas Morning News while passing through the airports today. No mention of Nathan...none...natta. Most of the attention was on Bomar and Pat White.

Anyway, with all the reports you guys have generated, I suspect Nathan made a good showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Monty wrote:
Most of the attention was on Bomar

Wasted ink, imo. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:02 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Small schools quarterbacks Nathan Brown and Rhett Bomar ran hot and cold, but there’s definite potential there. Bomar has a big arm and is a good athlete, but concerns about his accuracy linger. He has never completed more the 59 percent of his passes in a college year and needs to improve his timing in the short-area passing game. Brown, on the other hand, simply needs time to adjust to the next level. He was the only QB all week to consistently stick the deep out and displays the timing and anticipation skills to make scouts wonder just how high his ceiling is. He’s only 6-1 and has a lower than ideal release, and his passes wobble a bit down the field, but he flashes NFL-caliber talent. Brown intrigues me and would definitely be worth a mid-round pick to see how far he can develop.
LINK

---------------------------------------------

Quote:
8. Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas - Nathan Brown has had great stats throughout his collegiate career but hasn’t played against top competition. He failed to impress at the Senior Bowl. His limited height may be an issue since he’s no Drew Brees able to compensate for being small in the pocket.
LINK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 pm 
UserName Retired

I know it's a little jumbled but Brees's stats ain't too impressive his first three years in the league.

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2001 SDG 1 15 27 55.6 221 8.2 1 40 0 94.8
2002 SDG 16 320 526 60.8 3284 6.2 17 52 16 76.9
2003 SDG 11 205 356 57.6 2108 5.9 11 68 15 67.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

People did not think Terry Bradshaw would amount to much either because he came from a small school and was wild......while he is taller than Nate, Nate is more controlled at this stage...these guys talking about QB prospects probably have about as many snaps at D1 level as I do much less NFL.....

By the way, who else from an Arkansas high school ever played QB in the Senior Bowl? Russellville was 5A West when Nathan played for Cyclones....

Last edited by BearsFan52 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:04 pm 
UserName Retired

[
Quote:
8. Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas - Nathan Brown has had great stats throughout his collegiate career but hasn’t played against top competition. He failed to impress at the Senior Bowl. His limited height may be an issue since he’s no Drew Brees able to compensate for being small in the pocket.
LINK[/quote]

Man..did that dude even watch the senior bowl? THere weren't any QBs that tore it up. At least Brown led his team to 2 TDs and a third one was dead on except his receiver quit running up the field! geez. what does it take to impress these morons? :shock: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 pm 
Two-Time All-American

what does it take to impress these morons?

This would be a good UCA Honors College High Table discussion issue...

This guy would probably bad mouth Joe Montana for being too deliberate, Roger Staubach for being too aggressive and reckless and Peyton Manning for being too immobile....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next