It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe Dillard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:32 am 
UserName Retired

Dillard set for hall of fame induction

Quote:
Joe Dillard, longtime successful boys basketball coach at Greenbrier and a member of the UCA Sports Hall of Fame, will be inducted tonight in the Arkansas High School Coaches/Arkansas Officials Association Hall of Fame at a banquet tonight at the Hot Springs Convention Center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
Team Captain

My dad was a teammate of Mr. Dillards in the 50's, they played for Cecil Garrison. They played three guards, my dad, Tommy Taylor, and little Joe Dillard. Joe was an excellent point guard and coach. He is a good friend and a great guy. He is very deserving of that recognition. Tommy Taylor is still very healthy, when my dad was going downhill, both Tommy and Joe would check on him regularly. What is it about athletics that seals those bonds over 6 decades? UCA has a rich legacy in athletics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Congrats to Joe.

The "band of brothers" effect in sports is legendary. In my case it comes from sharing blood, sweat and tears together on and off the field and learning to respect others who may be very different than yourself. There are guys with whom I have little in common with in many regards but who I would not hesitate to come to their aid and vice versa. People not in sports do not seem to have as many opportunities to develop those shared relationships, at least not as intensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:57 pm 
UserName Retired

I agree with you 52. The only profession that would be a notch above sports would be the military, imo.