It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: James Dickey
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:03 am 
Team Captain

Now that I think about it, I can not believe that my friend, James Dickey, has not yet been inducted into the UCA Sports Hall of Fame. He was a steady, contributing starter for Don Nixon that won a couple of titles in the mid 70's as a player. He coached at UCA prior to joining Eddie Sutton's staff at AR. He was Sutton's top assistant at KY and was head coach for several years at Texas Tech, going to the NCAA tournament and being named Big 12 coach of the year. They built a beautiful arena for him in Lubbock. James got a bit of a raw deal when Bobby Knight became available. Gerald Myers and Knight are close friends and Myers would have hired Knight even if James had won 20 games that year. He coached with Eddie Sutton at OSU for many years and with Sean once Eddie retired. His family loves Stillwater, he is there but I know his heart will always be in Arkansas. He is a real gentleman, loves his family, loves UCA, and loves Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 pm 
UserName Retired

ditto !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:01 pm 
UserName Retired

I think a breath of fresh air is what our men's team needs. Don't know if Dickey and Pennel would even be close to our price range but you don't know if you don't ask. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm 
Team Captain

Dickey would be a fantastic choice for the Hall of Fame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
Don't know if Dickey and Pennel would even be close to our price range but you don't know if you don't ask.

Not close to what they could get elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:22 pm 
UserName Retired

BearsFan52 wrote:

Not close to what they could get elsewhere.

No doubt you're right but maybe that one person will come along where it's not always about the money. Clint Conque just happens to pop into my mind. Like I said, you don't know until you ask. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

No problem in asking and maybe JD would be intriqued.......we wre rpetty bstout in those days..JD, Joe Graham, Joe Couch, Joel Tabor, TJ Johnson and others...great team play in a very good conference....

Post subject: Re: James Dickey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am 
Team Captain

James Dickey was hired as head coach of the Houston Cougars.

Post subject: Re: James Dickey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Good for James.....will be watchng for how Houston develops..maybe Bears v Cougs can be worked out....

As to HOF, there are several mysterious absences from the list....I know some folks who are very irritated at certain former Bears not being included.....not going to name names but I know a couple and and can understand their feelings.....

Post subject: New Houston coach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:33 am 
Team Captain

I had been told several months ago that UCA alum James Dickey would be interested in "coming home" should our job come open so I was surprised when he told BT he could not be a candidate. I am happy for James with his hiring at former NCAA champion, Houston. The loved the Valley Springs cowboy in Texas before and I am sure they will again. He called me Saturday night from Iowa where he was hiring one of his top assistants with UCA ties and former D1 experience at UALR. It hasn't been announced yet so I will not name names but that sould be pretty clear to basketball folks. Congratulations to Coach Dickey and his family.