It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall Tennis underway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:22 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

the Sugar Bears will compete in the UALR Fall Invitational at Burns Park in North Little Rock. They will kick things off with Memphis in singles action at 12 p.m. on Friday.

Sugar Bears' Tennis in action:
http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=gallery&sportid=11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:34 am 
UserName Retired

Dang it. I thought that tournament was next week.

I thought I could head over there during lunch, but I have to be in Camden tomorrow morning.

If anyone actually goes out there, give the UALR head coach (Tommy) a hard time, and tell him it's from Trey since I couldn't make it out there to cheer for UCA and do it myself.

Post subject: Tennis has First ones under the belt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 pm 
Practice Squad

Well our first two "matches" for the year are under our belt and I am very excited about how we did. This tournament is not a team format so you don't have a winner and it allows the coaches to play with there lineups to get ready for Spring.
Let me start off by explaining to new fans that tennis is a ladder sport and you play your team in order 1-6. So if you are missing one it kinda throws a kink in the works. That being said we started off the season without our #2-3 all GSC last year as a Freshman,Rebecca Miller because of a groin pull :cry: .SO everyone below had to play up. Here is how the day played out:

Memphis:
#1 Petra Keilova- Had a huge case of the freshmen nerves in the first set but worked it out in the second and lost a close one 6-2 7-5.
# 2 Charrissa Colclough- transfer from Xavier thanks to Katrina, had played a competitive match in 2 years played awesome but lost in the third set.
# 3 Jenny Paine- All GSC as a freshman last year played a great match and won in three sets.
#4 Heidi Miller - made her singles debut played mostly doubles as a freshman lost a hard fought one.
#5 Rebecca McCullough - played great in the first set but lost a close one.
#6 Lindsey Short- freshman comes through with a big win 6-3, 6-4 very impressed with her composure in the Div I debut.

I could not be happier with how the girls played, 4-2 may not sound good but all things considered it was great .

We are such a young team : 5 freshmen and 5 sophomores that it will take a little bit to get it going but we are going to be just fine.

I would also like to say that they are an awesome bunch of girls that UCA will be proud of on and off the courts.

Wish us luck tomorrow as we play Northwestern and McNeese in doubles and Alcorn in singles I will be trying several different things so everyone can expect to see lots of combinations.

Go Bears and Sugarbears

:D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:58 am 
UserName Retired

Like I said before, I have never watched a competitive tennis match in person before. I wish I could have come out, but hopefully this spring will be different.

Thanks for the update, and good luck ladies.

(Also, how long will the team be playing on Sunday?)

Post subject: day 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:54 pm 
Practice Squad

Here is the scoop on today:

First we played Northwestern in doubles:

Petra/ Charissa played #1 ...... :D Wow what a match they were down 1-4 and battled back to win 9-7. They played for 90 minutes and battled wind and a coach that talked to his players DURING points. I can only relate this to you by saying that would be like talking during Tiger's back swing. I thought for a minute I was back in the GSC.

Heidi/Lindsey #2.......Never quite got it going today. Lots of unforced errors. That can be taken care of. :wink:

Jenny / Jordan Short #3..... Jordan's first college outing and she was a nervous nellie. I know I've said that alot, but I am a positive person and it is the same every year. By spring we will be fine.

Overall synopsis:

I am not scared of Northwestern :D
We will show them Sugarbear tennis in the spring when everyone is healthy and playing.

Match #2

McNeese doubles again:

after a huge rain delay and alot of sitting around

Petra/ Charissa #1...... Just played flat I think the big first match and the delay sucked the energy from them.

Jenny/ Rebecca McCullough#2.....played well together and pulled out a 9-7 win. Our sophomores will be our "SENIOR" leaders this year. BUt they are playing poised already.

Brittany Ross/ Colleen Lucas #3....Brittneys first outing. THey jumped out and won the the first game and then realized they did and got nervous. BUt they never gave up.

As you can see I played 9 different players in these matches and that is what this tournament is for. Wins are not waht is important it is giving our freshmen experience and figuring out doubles.

Match SYnopsis: They had better watch out this Spring, once again not scared.

We play Alcorn and Fort-Smith in singles tommorow at 8:30 and 11:30
if anyone can stop by it would be great.

The Bears did awesome tonight!!!
GO Bears and Sugarbears

:D :D :D

Post subject: Ualr Tourney
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:06 pm 
Practice Squad

Here is the summary of the weekend:

Petra Keilova 2-1 single 1-2 doubles
Charissa Colclough 1-2 singles 1-1 doubles
Jenny Paine 3-0 singles 1-2 doubles
Heidi Miller 1-2 singles 0-2 doubles
Rebecca McCullough 1-2 singles 1-1 doubles
Lindsey Short 2-1 singles 0-2 doubles
Brittney Ross 0-1 doubles ( got a virus & missed today)
Colleen Lucas 1-1 singles 0-2 doubles
Jordan Short 2-0 singles 0-1 doubles

Jenny, Jordan and Petra had especially great weekends. I am pleased with all the girls play and hopefully we will get all the bugs out this fall.

One other side note: Petra got in a score dispute and while the girl from Alcorn state showed her butt Petra was calm and was a great UCA representative as the umpire even told her afterwards how well she handled the girl going crazy. The girl even slapped her hand instead of shaking it after Petra won.
I told her welcome to COLLEGE tennis.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Photos from Sunday

Not sure what I can add other than the good stuff already written here, but wanted to put up some pictures of the day.