It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:57 pm 
Redshirt

From the LCD today:

However, Hardin said he was not impressed with the efforts of some groups outside the university who have sent what he described as misleading e-mails and letters to members of the administration and board members.

"The recommendation is being made because of the students' professionalism and in spite of outside influences, e-mails and contacts," Hardin said. "There has been so much misinformation, a tremendous amount. I have been very disappointed with the unprofessional e-mails and letters we have received.

I find this interesting from Lu. I have seen several of the e-mails sent from UCA soccer alumni, and the majority of the content begs for reasons WHY this happened and asked for specific times when Hardin and Thompson contacted the MVC and other soccer conferences. When a generic reply was sent out to every e-mail, supporters actually went to the MVC and got answers. The administration was caught completly unprepared for the firestorm of responses, which in hindsight could be expected when you hire a football coach with ZERO ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE to lead UCA athletics in perhaps the most critical time period in history. I have always supported Lu and what he has done for UCA, but please stop covering these mistakes and admit that UCA has failed these student-athletes, coaches, alumni, and community supporters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:34 pm 
Practice Squad

Well it seems this letter that was written to the board is EXTREMELY professional and accurate. The information is by no means misleading, seeing as the actual email correspondence between Thompson and the MVC is included as proof.
For those of you that have not seen this document, it is being passed via email pretty rapidly.
Thompson CLEARLY lied to everyone. He only finally tried contacting the MVC after he got rid of the soccer program. He used C-USA and MVC as a scapegoat for the reason he made his decision, which did not sit too well with the MVC who was strongly/actively considering extending an invitation to UCA Soccer. Flanders explained to Thompson that there was about to be a vote, and it looked like it was going to be in the favor of UCA. It seems like Thompson just did not want to deal with men's soccer.
I am not sure if this letter is what Lu is referring to at all, but it looks to me like Thompson's character (or lack of) has been found out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I hate to say "I told you so", but this is the kind of thing that happens when you do a 5 day search to replace an athletic director, and finally pick the least qualified. Anyway, with his history, JT will probably move on to greener pastures within the next year and then we can do a REAL search for a REAL AD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:05 pm 
Redshirt

UCA Men's Soccer has been reinstated...for now. I am glad that the boys have been given another opportunity, but we'll have to see just how much damage has been done. If Coach Flanders stays and can somehow convince recruits and the current group of players that the administration is truly committed to them (and who knows if that is even true), then this should turn out ok. Let's just hope Thompson actually makes "earnest and daily" efforts this time to secure a conference. Whatever happens, just support these guys please!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Maybe Coach Flanders should find us a conference (for a small "bonus"). I'm sure Mr Thompson would pay it out of his salary so he wouldn't have to mess with it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 am 
Two-Time All-American

If JT is messing up this bad with such a low key sport as soccer what should we prepare ourselves for in the future? I hope the MVC can put this whole fiasco behind them and still allow us membership.

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:29 pm 
Redshirt

several thoughts. One, chad flanders is gone as soon/if he finds a new job. He "suddenly" has a lack of trust in his boss. imagine.
Two, so much damage has already been done, next year is going to be a fiasco. They've already given up there games for next year, assistant coach is gone, etc. so everything has to be recreated...but there will be soccer and that's a very good thing. Also, Lu has promised that he will help in recruiting AND will take the lead in finding a conference for the boys to play in. I guess with a lot of it we will have to wait and see.

thanks to the BOT for doing the right thing...if not a little late. it sure would've been nice to have done this BEFORE cutting the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:31 pm 
Redshirt

Hope this works out but the real test will be if students, alumni or fans bother to come out and support them next year when all the passion has gone. Being on campus regularly one does not sense much ongoing passion about soccer. Did hear from a couple of parents - footing the bill for their kids - who felt soccer was not worth more out of their pockets. Maybe, maybe not, but the soccer fans need to be ready to help drum up interest. That would entail deciding to work with John T rather than continuing to rag at him...fair or not.
Hope it happens.

Post subject: Re: well
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

hogbert wrote:
Also, Lu has promised that he will help in recruiting AND will take the lead in finding a conference for the boys to play in.

I don't understand why Lu has to recruit and find a conference for the team? What exactly are we paying the AD for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:17 am 
Two-Time All-American

bears fan wrote:
Hope this works out but the real test will be if students, alumni or fans bother to come out and support them next year when all the passion has gone. Being on campus regularly one does not sense much ongoing passion about soccer. Did hear from a couple of parents - footing the bill for their kids - who felt soccer was not worth more out of their pockets. Maybe, maybe not, but the soccer fans need to be ready to help drum up interest. That would entail deciding to work with John T rather than continuing to rag at him...fair or not.
Hope it happens.

:idea:

Last edited by Purple Pride on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:50 am 
Practice Squad

Purple Pride wrote:
I hate to say "I told you so", but this is the kind of thing that happens when you do a 5 day search to replace an athletic director, and finally pick the least qualified. Anyway, with his history, JT will probably move on to greener pastures within the next year and then we can do a REAL search for a REAL AD.

I think Purple Pride hit it right on. (Except I think the search was more like 3 days.) Lu is going to have to spend a lot of time picking up after Thompson, which Lu-that means less time to devote to putting your face in all those commercials :(

This is just one sport of several that Thompson has to oversee, and we are at such a crucial time right now. If we do not handle the move to D-1 appropriately now, we will not be successful. And that can take YEARS to get over.

On the bright side, with the weather less than pleasant, Thompson will be able to spend more time in the office and less time on the golf course. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:42 pm 
UserName Retired

Jen02 wrote:
Lu-that means less time to devote to putting your face in all those commercials

Are you insinuating that has been bad for UCA and its image?

Jen02 wrote:
Thompson will be able to spend more time in the office and less time on the golf course.

With your opinion of the AD, I would think you would want him on the golf course as opposed to being in his office, being as incompetent as he is when he is in his office, IYO. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:56 am 
UserName Retired

Of course we've been told the outcome, but I'm just now seeing the release from the university...

UCA REINSTATES SOCCER PROGRAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:12 am 
Practice Squad

Honey Bear wrote:
Jen02 wrote:
Lu-that means less time to devote to putting your face in all those commercials

Are you insinuating that has been bad for UCA and its image?

Of course not. The ads have had a great impact. It is just a shame that most everyone on the outside can see that those ads are more about him getting his face out there than anything else. But, your right, him spending gosh only knows how much money/year in advertising himself has increased attendance.

Jen02 wrote:
Thompson will be able to spend more time in the office and less time on the golf course.

With your opinion of the AD, I would think you would want him on the golf course as opposed to being in his office, being as incompetent as he is when he is in his office, IYO. :wink:

Hmmmmm, you got me there. Maybe he would not be so incompetent if he spent a little more time in the office trying to get his priorities straight.