It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ?????
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 am 
Redshirt

What happened? Just when it looked like the girls were coming around, they get "blown out" by the Tulsa Hurricane, 20-2 and 8-0. I'm thinking something isn't right here.....coaching, or lack of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:43 am 
UserName Retired

Your guess is as good as mine....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:37 pm 
UserName Retired

I doubt if the coach got many at bats during the two games. Looks as though there was a lack of hitting by the players. All teams have off days. BF101's Cards are 0-3 for the year, but I betcha no one's blaming the coach, unless maybe he's text messageing signals from the lock-up dugout. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:00 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Honey Bear wrote:
BF101's Cards are 0-3 for the year, but I betcha no one's blaming the coach, unless maybe he's text messageing signals from the lock-up dugout. :)

well...while you have a valid point, and 99.9% of the time you are right for not blaming the coach's all the time, I'm holding the Cards manager a little responsible as of right now for the lackluster efforts right now....but then again most coaches/managers dont get DUI's less than a week before the start of the year either, when their whole objective for this season "was to not have any distractions whatsoever heading into the new year" :D (and I'm referring to the Cards manager for those who dont know and NOT Coach Kissell before anyone piles on that remark...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:35 am 
Redshirt

Dear Honey,

You're right, the coach doesn't hit but it would take a ton of hitting to score 21 and 9 runs respectively. That's what it would have taken to win both games. Are you sure it wasn't a lack of DEFENSE that got us blown out? Don't you think it might have been our pitching? It's the coaches job to know which pitcher will have the most success against a given team. Apparently, he didn't know. As far as an "off day", we have been run-ruled 11 times this season so I don't think this was just one of those off days.

Now for my take on the games. I wouldn't have started a hometown girl (Swanson is from Tulsa area as is Collins) in the first game. With many friends and family watching, or so I assume, that might be just too much pressure for a freshmen pitcher going against a good team. Start the more experienced Harris. Then when game 2 rolls around, maybe the nerves are more at ease and the other pitchers have more success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:20 pm 
UserName Retired

2 strike hitter, I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn Express this week so I don't have an answer for you. However, I do have a question. Why is it when a team is winning, the players get 90% of the accolades but yet when a team is losing, the coach gets 90% of the ridicule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:44 pm 
Redshirt

A coach is like a chef and the players are the ingredients. No matter how good the ingredients are, the dish can still be a disaster if they aren't used correctly. On that same note, the best chef in the world can't make a great dish with poor ingredients. So yeah, coaches are often the cause of a loss and rarely the reason for a win. I'm not sure I understand what I just said, but I hope you see my point.

Now in the case of this particular team, most of the girls recruited to play this year were simply not D1 ready. That IS the coach's fault as he recruited them. I know several of them from HS and summer ball and none of them were true D1 material (my daughter included). As I have also said, they are young and some may yet develop into great ballplayers but that depends on well the coach brings them along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:45 am 
UserName Retired

Just looked at the roster. 11 frosh, 1 soph, 4 jrs., and 1 sr. Not much experience there no matter what level of competition might be considered. 65% of the team are first time collegiate players. I'm sure you have seen several of the games, which I have not, but unless the coach has the slowest girl playing shortstop and the shortest girl playing first base and our best hitter batting ninth, I say give the guy a chance to develop this young team.
As to the analogy of a chef and a coach, a chef can take anything in a kitchen and make a tasty meal out of it. After all, if a person can take a bug out of the ditch and make crawfish etouffee out of it, I would give him the honor of being called chef. Most of us fry-cooks end up taking primerib and turning it into hamburger.
I believe I'll wait until the end of next year to decide if the coach is an Emeril in the kitchen or a Mel in the diner.