It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Men's CC/Track freshmen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quick run down on Bear CC and track team freshmen based on ucasports.com rosters for 2007-2008:

Matt Mason (Alma) and Logan Dockery (Lake Hamilton) should be contributors in CC. Mason has both speed (1:58 for 800m, 3rd best in Arkansas this past spring) and 15:55 for 5K last fall in CC (ranked 3rd in Arkansas and Top 100 nationally). Dockery is mostly a long distance threat with 9:58 for two miles on track and 16:18 for 5k CC. Both will need to extend to8k ((4.9 miles) and 10k (6.2 miles) this fall and that takes a while to master. If they can do 33 minutes or less for 10k, they could be big help.

Track team picks up talent from Kylon Boyd (Lonoke) and Torre Hunter (Forrest City). Boyd has triple jumped nearly 46” and will join Donavan Loring for a tough TJ duo. Hunter also is a viable jumper (over 43” in TJ) and adds a good short hurdler. He was 2nd in Arkansas in 55m hurdles for 2007 indoor. The jumpers have little adjustment to college level but hurdlers have to adapt technique to 3” high hurdle height.

Also, there are several footballers who could add depth, especially for indoor season:

Eric Blanch (Camden Fairview) is a strong sprinter at 100m, 200m and 400m with the latter being his highest ranked event (49.37, 2nd in Arkansas outdoor) plus he is a competent 55m hurdler indoors.

Rico Moss (Hope) is a redshirt FR for football and led Arkansas outdoor 110m hurdlers in 2006 with a very good 14.20 clocking.

Kadem Ray (Nashville) ranked 1st in Arkansas indoor shot put (55’ 7”) and 2nd in outdoors (about 53’). It takes shot putters a couple of years to add the strength enough to heave the heavier college shot but he is a big boy.

Derek Smith (Rogers) is a sleeper in shot put. He only hit about 50’ feet in high school but watch for him to add bulk and strength at UCA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:23 am 
Team Captain

UCA looks to have a great first year in Track and Field. I myself am thinking about walking on to see if I could help the team in any way. It is a shame we can't hold a meet or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Track complex is on the way. Hold my breath until I actually see the finishd product but this could be the track showcase for all of central Arkansas. Maybe Coach Martin can schedule a meet for Conway's track as that is a pretty nice facilty.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:39 pm 
Redshirt

Torre hunter acually came in first in the 55m hurdles and was a solid 300 hurdler when he felt like running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Hunter was 1st in the Combined Class 567A meet but second overall best time as Carlos Arce of DeQueen won the Combined Class 1234A meet in a faster time. Still, Hunter was an indoor state champion.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

ucafan1907 wrote:
Track complex is on the way. Hold my breath until I actually see the finishd product but this could be the track showcase for all of central Arkansas. Maybe Coach Martin can schedule a meet for Conway's track as that is a pretty nice facilty.

GoBears!!

I played in the alumni golf tournament a couple weeks ago and passed by Hendrix. They have an extremely nice track complex. Not much in the way of bleachers but the track and grounds appear to be very nice.