It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wondering about Softball
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:51 am 
All-Conference

Interested to know a bit about your softball program...

SLC is a tough conference. The top teams the last few years have been Texas St, UT-San Antonio, Northwestern St and Sam Houston St.

On SHSU...our coach is a former national championship winning coach at A&M. He's a Sam grad and definitely has given us a "hometown discount" and turned our program around. Our pitchers last year were both all-SLC, a sophomore and a freshman (pitcher of the year, all-Region), so we're set for this year and next with those two. Just signed a helluva arm from Huntsville as well.

Of note, A&M-CC actually won the Big South in softball last year, so adding them is going to be great to improve our conference. UTSA has led the nation in home runs the last three years (though I must admit, they play in a small park). In 2003, we had two bids. Really is no reason to think we can't be a two-bid conference year in and year out with how strong our programs are becoming and the addition of A&M-CC.

So, what can we expect from UCA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well lets just say that our softall team has not been the best the past couple of season, but we do have a new coach this year and he is suppose to be really good.
From what I hear the girls have done really well in the fall games and scrimmages.
Word has it that the new coach has scheduled the University fo Oklahoma and Arizona this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:03 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

You can expect absolutely nothing. Softball is probably our worst women's sport. I would have said volleyball until this past season with the new coach and the huge turnaround they had. UCA has never been traditionally strong in softball. From my recollection, we usually hover around the .500 mark more or less. I know this sounds bad, but I hope this new coach can at least get us turned around to be competitive in the SLC.

I found a copy of our schedule for the upcoming season:

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=schedule&sportid=8

We do have OU in Norman, which I'm quite positive we all know what will happen there. No sign of Arizona on this one, and frankly, I'm not sure what the heck a program like Arizona or OU even would get out of playing UCA, BEFORE the move up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:36 pm 
UserName Retired

The only thing worse than those ladies playing Arizona would be to play Michigan, UCLA, and Tennessee right after that.

After watching the volleyball team turn around the program in just one year, I can't rule anything out for softball. But at this point, I can only hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:43 pm 
All-Conference

I think the thing you fellas will love about Div I softball and baseball for that matter is there are lots of great teams in the region that WILL travel to your facility and you can compete with these squads...

SHSU's freshman pitcher last year lost 1-0 to Arizona last year. How incredible is that? SHSU goes to Texas, Houston (tournament), A&M and plays in a tournament at Arizona. SHSU hosts A&M, Baylor, North Texas, LA Tech and A&M-CC. Going to be great.

You'll see loads of SLC teams play tournaments at Houston and ULL, since those schools both host tournaments practically every weekend and have nice facilities. May take you awhile to rise up, but your going to see some good competition. The SWAC is pretty sloppy softball though and baseball, but you guys will get the 'W's over Pine Bluff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Looks pretty bleak. I shudder to think what will happen when they try to play at the next level. :cry:

http://gulfsouthconference.org/sports/w ... lease8.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Oddly enough the softball team has shown signs of improvement this season. Granted their terrible record, these past 4 series they have played they have started looking better. Maybe this new coach is finially starting to get things turned around but I mean it will still take a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:51 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I'd say for the next 2 years they get a pss...this one obviously with the new coach And next year with the new everything from opponents' talent level, and the new coach getting his players in here. Hopefully things wil ble on he rise though, they are going to have to the SLC has really good softball teams....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I'd say for the next 2 years they get a pss...

You know, the meaning of that sentence could change drastically depending upon which vowel you left off. A? I? U?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Pat, I'd like to buy an 'A' tonight!.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:20 am 
Two-Time All-American

Nah, it's all about that U, baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:56 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

As long as yout dont preach to me about being a "F*ing Soldier" I'm cool with THE 'U' :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:50 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=8&article=1322

UCA SOFTBALL INKS EIGHT
SOFTBALL • Apr 28, 2006

CONWAY, Ark- University of Central Arkansas softball head coach Steve Kissel has signed eight players to join the Bears program in the fall. Brittany Bearden of Birmingham, Ala., Audra Finley and Ashley Ray of Sheridan, Ark., Catherine Jones and Keatha Tollett of Nashville, Ark., Mallarie Stone of Frisco, Texas, Lauren Tracy of Pottsville, Ark., and Lindsey White of Star City, Ark. have all signed National of Letters of Intent to play for UCA.