It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA needs a Ping Pong team!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:26 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Man I can invision it now!! The 2006 national champion UCA bears of Ping pong!!! I would so try-out :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 am 
Starter

While we are on the ping pong kick, I want a shuffleboard team too. I will be captain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:26 am 
Two-Time All-American

Shuffleboard??? Man ping-pong is more exciting! lol I could be captain and man you better watch out lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:00 am 
Two-Time All-American

Unless UCA stands for [EDIT]something else[/EDIT], there would be no national championship in ping pong coming to Conway.

[Edited by admin upon request]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Whoever cried to the admin about the comment on the relative superiority of ping pong proficiency in Asians: Pathetic.

I doubt you're Asian. Even if you are, I don't know why you'd take offense. There was no malicious intent in that statement. Nada. It's akin to saying black people can run fast. How in the world is that offensive? It's not an unfounded prejudice statement ... there are facts to back that stuff up. Look at the gentleman who just set the world record in the 100m. Black. The guy whose record he broke? Black. Guy before that? Black.

Now go look at your Olympic ping pong champions and other ping pong studs. According to the fine folks over at Pongworld.com, you'll see that China is home to the world's 1st, 3rd, and 4th-ranked male pong players. In the female division they've got 1st, 2nd and 5th. Looks like dominance to me. But I guess it was just a stupid racial statement on my part, never mind paying any attention to some facts and realizing that there actually is Chinese dominance in the world of ping pong.

So if my joke was offensive to you and/or you complained to the admin, then you are over-sensitive, and you need to lighten up and gain some culture.

You know how everybody gets riled up about the Native American nicknames for teams? Few years ago SI did a survey and the vast majority of Native Americans didn't really care. It was the white people crying about it. Damn lot of sense that makes.

Last edited by Beary Manilow on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:16 pm 
UserName Retired

If you're talking about the UA sprinters, I think Spearman beat Tyson Gay's record time. Gay's time bested Spearman's previous best, but that was the 200 and NCAA. I have no idea about other than that, although Gatlin from (BF101's favorite) Tennessee had the world record at one time I think in the 100m.

I'm not positive about that part, but you are right. The two UA sprinters are black, and very fast.

I tried to look up the records for NCAA but only found the records for 2001...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Just because I was curious, I looked up the professional record holder for the 100m.

Tim Montgomery Time- 9.78 Date- 9/14/02

I also noticed that they, apparently, don't even run the 100m indoors. Just a little extra tidbit for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I was speaking of Asafa Powell, the Jamaican cat who just broke the world's record last week or whenever when he busted out that 9.77. That's flat moving. It essentially equates to running a 3.90 40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
UserName Retired

What, you can't run that fast?

I just found that.... LINK

The site I got the other info from obviously hasn't been updated. Again though, you were right, the last three record-holders were black. I just went back through the past 10 records and they were all black.

Powell's time is just one, one-hundreth faster than Montgomery- which was one, one-hundreth faster than Maurice Greene. The last four times the record has been broken, it's been three years after it was set.

How would you like to be this guy, Charles Greene took the record from Jim Hines just 4 months after he got it. Hines took it back the next day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

When you get into 1/100th of a second I don't really know how much difference there is in those times. Even an electronic timer could be off by that minute (mi-noot, not men-ut) span. But it's what we have to go on, so there you have it.

I want to see somebody just smash the thing and drop it from 9.77 to 9.70 or 9.65 or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:57 am 
Two-Time All-American

I don't know but what is pathetic is that you have to be serious about everything and you couldn't take this post as a joke. Thats all it was meant for but then you had to get on here and run your mouth like have to all these other threads. And truthfully its stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:01 am 
Two-Time All-American

Uhh... I'm confused.

I made a joke about UCA needing more Chinese people to win a ping pong NC, somebody cried to the admin about it being offensive ... and I'm the one who's serious? I was sarcastically serious when somebody threw a fit about it.

Yeah I got fired up that somebody was dumb enough to get offended by "Unless UCA stands for the University of Chinese Americans there would be no national championship in ping pong coming to Conway." Sorry if stupidity grates on my nerves. I'll try to be more accepting of ignorance in the future.

UpandIn913 wrote:
and run your mouth like have to all these other threads. And truthfully its stupid.

What's stupid is "... like have to all these other ..." I don't know how they do things in Texas, but here in Arkansas we like to go ahead and form complete sentences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:02 am 
Starter

I watched some of the NCAA National Outdoor Track Championship the other day and those guys are awesome. There is a guy from FL that will dominate over Arkansas guys anyday. Arkansas did manage to kick it again this year!! and Yes, Spearman beat Gay. Now, on the ping pong business, ya'll all should just drop it all. It's a stupid subject to talk about anyway. I think we should just get air hockey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:18 am 
Two-Time All-American

lol :lol: some people may not agree with that though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:59 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Can we have a horseshoe throwing team? I'll be the beer, I mean water boy.