It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's not just football signing day
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm 
UserName Retired

SOFTBALL
Arquisa Ross, Bearden HS
(According to Twitter... plays 1st base?)

Post subject: Re: It's not just football signing day
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 pm 
UserName Retired

WOMEN'S SOCCER
Marisela Chavez, Summit HS (Mansfield, Texas)
Megan Thomas, Arlington Martin HS (Arlington, Texas)
Kiely Dowling, Ryan HS (Denton, Texas)
Cierra Gamble, Santiago HS (Corona, Calif.)

MEN'S SOCCER
Dominique O'Shea, Arlington HS

BOOM! How's that for Internet research.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well done Trey!
=D>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:18 pm 
Practice Squad

More North Texas girls for the Soccer team!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm 
UserName Retired

I thought we were told during the soccer "off and on again" debacle a few years back that we needed soccer at UCA for the good of soccer in the state of Arkansas. Just how is that working out for our homegrown talent?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 pm 
UserName Retired

Are our high school soccer kids playing in college? I see an occasional signing in local papers but they tend to be D2 and D3 schools. How does Arkanss high school talent compare to Texas?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 am 
UserName Retired

Men's Track/XC
Ryan Davidson - Joplin HS (Joplin, MO)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
I thought we were told during the soccer "off and on again" debacle a few years back that we needed soccer at UCA for the good of soccer in the state of Arkansas. Just how is that working out for our homegrown talent?

8 girls out of 29 on roster are from Ar. 27%

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 am 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
Men's Track/XC
Ryan Davidson - Joplin HS (Joplin, MO)

Wow, that kid has been through a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Arkansas high schools produce quite a bit of good D2 talent in cross country and track. D1 talent is limited to compete the Big Dog level but our kids should be able to move into SLC level and compete well.

Our best D1 event currently in Arkansas is the pole vault and UCA has signed 2-3 good prospects in that event. In fact, Arkansas has had three national boys leaders in the last decade and at least two girls in the national Top 10. While these go to the big D1 schools, it helps to develop other talent as well.

The best triple jumper from Arkansas high schools ever(Donovan Loring) was a fine performer for UCA and did well in the SLC. He was just a tiny bit away from qualfying for D1 nationals with a career best of about 51 feet.

SLC is a very good track conference and pretty good cross country conference.We are slowly gaining ground in each. For a program with loads of NAIA track accomplishments, we are at a very much higher level of competition. We have only been at this for about 5-7 years in rebuilding the program since we disbanded in the early 90s.

In track, you can get a lot done with 5-6 athletes if they are the right ones. I would hope we can develop a strong throws program (shot, discus, javelin and weight throw) as this is often an underdeveloped program.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 pm 
UserName Retired

FOOT84 wrote:
Honey Bear wrote:

8 girls out of 29 on roster are from Ar. 27%

2 men out of 36 on roster are from Ar. 5% if my math is right. I believe it was the men's program that was on the fence but yet proponents said it was vital to soccer here in Ark. that men's soccer not be abolished at UCA. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

JRK wrote:
Are our high school soccer kids playing in college? I see an occasional signing in local papers but they tend to be D2 and D3 schools. How does Arkanss high school talent compare to Texas?

Uh, there is no comparison.

It us not UCA's job to give Arkansas high school athletes a place to play, just like its not the UofA's, UALR, or ASU's.

Matt Danielson is doing a great job of getting the absolute most out of Arkansas H.S. women basketball players but sports like baseball (gaining ground), softball, volleyball, soccer simply do not produce enough athletes in Arkansas to fill many roster spots at the D-I level, even the low D-I level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

A quick look at the Razorback's women's soccer roster says that they have two from Arkansas (out of 33 or so).

A look at LSU's women's soccer (another major program with a lot of "wanna be" fans) says they have 6 from Louisiana out of 26.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 am 
Redshirt

Honey Bear wrote:

I think it could work out very well. I don't know if they're currently doing any of this, but if the men's and women's soccer teams got these out of state players into the communities in Conway, Little Rock, and surrounding areas with a system of clinics for the local soccer associations and clubs, they should be able to help raise the skill levels of the local players.

There is no doubt that Arkansas is currently not producing soccer players of the caliber produced in North Texas and other soccer hotbeds, but it isn't because we don't have the athletes here. It's because of the caliber of coaching. I mean no disrespect to the hardworking and dedicated local coaches but UCA players could be a tremendous resource for the local soccer community.

It would be good for the UCA soccer program as well. It would raise the consciousness of the local community as to its existance. Maybe some of the kids and parents who participate in the clinics would come out and catch a UCA game or two. I've seen several UCA women's home games and the "crowds" looked like friends and family for the most part. Speaking as a parent who has just gone through the recruiting process, this is a bit of a negative. Some soccer college programs have sizable and enthusiastic crowds, and that is attractive to potential recruits. It would also be good experience for the UCA players, a lot of whom plan to go into coaching.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 pm 
Redshirt

Dominique O'Shea is actually a lovely young lady and, although she would give the men a good run for their money, is signed for the women's team.

treyuca wrote:
WOMEN'S SOCCER
Marisela Chavez, Summit HS (Mansfield, Texas)
Megan Thomas, Arlington Martin HS (Arlington, Texas)
Kiely Dowling, Ryan HS (Denton, Texas)
Cierra Gamble, Santiago HS (Corona, Calif.)

MEN'S SOCCER
Dominique O'Shea, Arlington HS

BOOM! How's that for Internet research.