It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheerleaders...
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:15 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=12&article=1329

Finished 2nd at Nationals again, runner up to the same Hawaii Pacific squad that always wins it ifwe don't. Now they have a new cheer squad and new coach...big moves for them. Good luck to them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Um, I'm guessing that Steve East didn't write that story.

Why on earth do we need 60 cheerleaders anyway? Where are they going to stand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:24 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

you'll have a group on one sideline and a group on the other sidelines or in the the end zones I would imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
Um, I'm guessing that Steve East didn't write that story.

Steve probably threw up 12 times reading that. He may have also given it one smiley sticker and a blue star before handing it back to its author. If he did write it, it was with a half liter of Jack in his veins and a half-cocked Ruger to his brain.

treyuca wrote:
Why on earth do we need 60 cheerleaders anyway? Where are they going to stand?

In people's way.

Post subject: Cheerleaders
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:38 pm 
Practice Squad

At least it will be people out there cheering for a change un-like our fans. Most to all large schools have a large spirit program, I say more power to them, at least someone is trying to go to the next level in that athletic deaprtment. Best of luck to the new coach :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:06 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Here, Here!!! I'm partial to the cheerleaders myself as well, at least I have a special place in my heart for them! I realize what they go through whether others do or not. Good luck to all involved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:23 am 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
Here, Here!!! I'm partial to the cheerleaders myself as well, at least I have a special place in my heart for them! I realize what they go through whether others do or not. Good luck to all involved!

Were you forced to say that?

I know some "large" schools have large cheer squads. But if we have 10,000 people at the game. That's one cheerleader for every 166 fans. :)
I'm just saying it seems a little overboard to me.

Post subject: Over board
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:05 am 
Practice Squad

Have you ever been to a UCA game? Have you ever been in the V.I.P area? People DON'T cheer at UCA games. This might get people's heads out of their butts. Plus, as long as it is not financially draining to the campus, what's it to you if they have 200 cheerleaders? My sources tell me that SEVERAL fundraisers have been put together just so they can get outfits. I say this is better stuff to whine about. And since I get "newsletters" from them all the time, I believe that they raise over $20,000.00/year.

Post subject: Re: Over board
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 am 
UserName Retired

No1 BearFan wrote:
Have you ever been to a UCA game? Have you ever been in the V.I.P area? People DON'T cheer at UCA games. This might get people's heads out of their butts. Plus, as long as it is not financially draining to the campus, what's it to you if they have 200 cheerleaders? My sources tell me that SEVERAL fundraisers have been put together just so they can get outfits. I say this is better stuff to whine about. And since I get "newsletters" from them all the time, I believe that they raise over $20,000.00/year.

Yes.
No. I'm not a VIP.
I agree, but that doesn't include me.

The cheerleaders have started about two cheers that the fans have participated in. Usually it's the fans that start them. Adding 200 wouldn't fix that. Don't kid yourself. I've seen most of the cheerleaders do more heckling of the opposing team, talking amongst themselves or personal cheering than LEADING cheers.

I've tried to take up for them before because it's not always their fault that the fans sit on their hands. But something tells me that adding more won't make any difference in that area.

I just checked out the Razorback website and counted up, 58 cheerleaders. That includes 2 "cheer squads' and 2 "pom squads". Do we really need as many as (or more than) a group that cheers for 70,000+? No. And I don't care how much money they raise. It doesn't make them necessary.

Post subject: In the box Thinker
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:48 am 
Practice Squad

You are clearly someone that thinks in the box, and cannot see advantage to acting like a big time school. I am done arguing on this, I join in EVERY time they do a cheer and I promise it is WAY more than two cheers, so get your story straight. Why don't you check out West Georgia and Valdosta spirit groups? I hope someone from the UCA cheer team reads this though, I am sure your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Over board
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:00 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
No1 BearFan wrote:

Yes.
No. I'm not a VIP.
I agree, but that doesn't include me.

The cheerleaders have started about two cheers that the fans have participated in. Usually it's the fans that start them. Adding 200 wouldn't fix that. Don't kid yourself. I've seen most of the cheerleaders do more heckling of the opposing team, talking amongst themselves or personal cheering than LEADING cheers.

I've tried to take up for them before because it's not always their fault that the fans sit on their hands. But something tells me that adding more won't make any difference in that area.

I just checked out the Razorback website and counted up, 58 cheerleaders. That includes 2 "cheer squads' and 2 "pom squads". Do we really need as many as (or more than) a group that cheers for 70,000+? No. And I don't care how much money they raise. It doesn't make them necessary.

Trey, I'd have to agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

He is clearly someone that thinks reasonably.

See the advantage to acting like a big-time school? UCA is not a big-time school and there's no sense in acting like it. Act like a fledgling up-and-coming school all you want, since that's what you are, but don't go living outside your means.

Apply your same reasoning to your personal life. Think outside the box, and act like big-time. Go out and buy yourself two cars ... hell, make 'em really nice, expensive cars. Maybe you need to add four or five bedrooms on to your house. Maybe you need more TVs in your car than in your house. Why not buy yourself a $7,000 suit for each day of the month?

If you're ever gonna be big time, you gotta look and act big time, right? Because you sure as hell can't take baby steps.

And, adding more cheerleaders isn't exactly "thinking outside the box." It's more along the lines of running in circles within the box. If you want to think outside the box, take a page from the Dallas Mavericks and get a bunch of obese dudes out there acting a fool in lieu of pom squad #8.

Post subject: Re: In the box Thinker
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:06 pm 
UserName Retired

No1 BearFan wrote:
You are clearly someone that thinks in the box, and cannot see advantage to acting like a big time school. I am done arguing on this, I join in EVERY time they do a cheer and I promise it is WAY more than two cheers, so get your story straight. Why don't you check out West Georgia and Valdosta spirit groups? I hope someone from the UCA cheer team reads this though, I am sure your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

My story is that you are in the minority.
I've never heard one person chant along with:
"Central.. Arkansas.. Let's Go. Clap. Clap. Clap."
Very few:
"U-C-A, U-C-A, Go Bears Go."

And upon your suggestion of checking out UWG and Valdosta---
UWG - 40 total cheerleaders on their two squads.
Valdosta - 46
Neither of which have 60.

But it's probably best we're done "arguing," because I don't see me changing your mind. And I'm not changing mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:16 pm 
Redshirt

So I just heard about this website and I must say I am very disappointed in what all of you have to say about our cheerleading squad! Why out of all the sports on campus would you pick one of the best and hardest working teams to gripe about? It just seems a little twisted that you would talk trash about the one group on campus that is impartial to to anything except their sport! What did they do to you? Maybe you should come by a practice sometime and see how hard this really is. Then after you have given it a shot you can try to condem them. And about the numbers! Don't worry about how many cheerleaders there are. As long as your student fees don't go up because of it then don't worry about it. Ok I am done venting just leave us alone! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:23 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Bear4Life wrote:
So I just heard about this website and I must say I am very disappointed in what all of you have to say about our cheerleading squad! Why out of all the sports on campus would you pick one of the best and hardest working teams to gripe about? It just seems a little twisted that you would talk trash about the one group on campus that is impartial to to anything except their sport! What did they do to you? Maybe you should come by a practice sometime and see how hard this really is. Then after you have given it a shot you can try to condem them. And about the numbers! Don't worry about how many cheerleaders there are. As long as your student fees don't go up because of it then don't worry about it. Ok I am done venting just leave us alone! :D

get your story straight...not ALL of us bag and gripe about the cheerleaders...some of us actually support and have supported the cheerleaders many years....