It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA Tennis
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:12 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA Tennis has signed two player (that I know of) for next season.
Web-posted Thursday, May 4, 2006
Spearman duo isn't short on tennis talent

Short sisters take aim at Class 2A doubles title

By Travis Harsch
travis.harsch@amarillo.com

An era will come to an end for Spearman's Short family at the state tennis tournament next week in Austin, as twin sisters Jordan and Lindsey will play their final high school matches in the 2A girls doubles competition.
The matches will also be the last time Kyle, their dad, will coach them on the court.

"When I made the decision to coach girls, it was because I wanted to coach them," Kyle said. "There have been some trials and tribulations, but it's been enjoyable."

"I've seen them in all kinds of competitive situations and I trust that they know what to do, that they'll play hard and play right. They've had some success and it's been fun."

In addition to coaching tennis at Spearman, Kyle also coaches basketball and cross country, sports in which Lindsey and Jordan compete.

"It's really cool," Jordan Short said. "We get to spend a lot of time together, since he's our coach in everything."

After two years of playing singles, Kyle saw that putting the sisters on the court together would help their games.

"We thought it'd make us better tennis players," Kyle said of the decision to pair the sisters in doubles. "We knew to get our game better, we needed to play doubles. It was really a natural fit, being sisters and being twins and getting to work together. We just said, 'Hey, let's do it.'"

The change came after Lindsey won a state singles title her freshman year and made it back to state her sophomore year, while Jordan was third in regionals with a different doubles partner.

"We'd never really played many doubles matches until last year," Kyle said. "We're still not perfect, but we're still getting better every time we practice."

Lindsey said spending so much time with her sister has benefits on the court.

"We know each other so well, we play really well together," Lindsey said. "It's fun after the other two years I played singles. I really like it."

The Shorts were the doubles runner-up last year at state, despite a knee injury to Jordan that kept their pre-district playing time together to a minimum. This year, with a full season together, they feel they're close to playing their best.

"I think we're playing a lot better this year because we've had more time to practice," Jordan said. "I hope we're able to peak at state."

A chance at a state title will likely go through Mason's Salah Smith and Diane Crouch, who beat the sisters in the regional final. Smith was also in the pairing who beat the Shorts in last year's state final.

"I think we can beat them, but we have to play our game and have confidence we can hit our shots," Lindsey said. "They like to charge the net a lot. We have to make sure we can get our shots past them and come to the net as much as they do."

While Jordan and Lindsey will continue their tennis careers together at Central Arkansas, where both signed last week.

"We wanted to play college tennis somewhere together, and Central Arkansas was the most interested and the nicest," Jordan said. "We visited a lot of schools that were interested, but we fit in with the team. We got to meet the girls and the coaches and really liked it."

The Shorts are focused on Austin and the state tourney. Class 2A will play matches at the University of Texas's Penick-Allison Tennis Center, which helped as motivation for Jordan and Lindsey.

"It's such a treat to get to down there," Kyle said. "We alternate sites and Lindsey played at the UT courts as a sophomore, but Jordan hadn't gotten to play at UT, so we were wanting to get Jordan down there."

No matter where the matches are played, Lindsey said the Shorts will stick to a couple of family traditions.

"We always get to go shopping, and we eat at the Spaghetti Warehouse on Sixth," she said.
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/050406/hss_4597757.shtml(requires subscription, that's why i pasted the whole article)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=11&article=1333
Tennis continues on in post-season play!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:08 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Beat me to it! Good luck to them!! Hope to hear some good news tomorrow afternoon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:25 pm 
Practice Squad

Go SugarBears Tennis.

The Short twins will be joined by several other awesome players.
Brittney Ross from Claremore OK, who has amassed over 80 wins in her high school career, Petra Kielova a 6'0'' lefty from the Czeck Republic, and Charissa Colclough a standout from LR who played her first two years at Xavier before hurricane Katrina changed her plans. THings look great for next year. As for the match against UWF, the girls gave it their all and played with fire however, UWF South American contingent of women, (I do mean WOMEN, two of their freshman are 29 and 26) proved too much. There is only so much a doubles team with a court age of 36 can do against one whose is 51. (Don' tell me they have been eaarning money playing tennis.) Oh well, I was very proud of the girls and you should be too. THe story behind conference that never got published is this.

Against UNA we played horrible at #1 double and lost.
Played awesome at #2 (freshmen) and won.
Played off and on at #3 and lost in a long close one 9-7.
Won #1 and #2 singles
Lost #3 and #5
Lost the first set in #4 and #6 but came back and won second set 6-1 at #6 and was winning second set at #4 5-3, then tragedy struck.
Rebecca McCullough was starting her third set when she fell out on the court. The day went crazy from that point on, the UNA trainer said she needed to be transported to the e-room immediately. So We carried her to the cruiser, I drove like a manic and carried her into the hospital like a scene from ER. 5 hours and 3 bags of fluid later we were discharged. We had to forfeit that match. Then The girls had to play Harding while I was still at the hospital with Rebecca and obviously that was a fiasco. The girls were more than shook up and since I have no assistant they were on their own. When we drove up after being dc'd I drove back to the public park in Huntsville to find my girls in a huddle in the dark parking lot at 11:15 at night since none of the fine caring coaches in the GSC offered to give them a ride back to the hotel. But that is a whole other story :x

I just thought I would get the story out there since you actually seem to care about the tennis team and how we do and we never get any kind of story article. I could go on for hours about how wonderful the girls are but I have typed enough for now.

Thanks for your support.

The Sugarbear Tennis Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:36 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

hey Sugarbears Tennis Team, thank you for singing up and posting. That is what it is going to take is for fans and members of of the respective teams to continue to update the general fans and membes on here as well. It's good to see representatives and fans of each team get on here and spread the news about their squads, especailly a squad as successful as the Tennis Team. Keep up the good, and hard work for the move up!

Hopefully we can get soccer, men's and women's and volleyball and others represented on here to keep us up to date.