It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UTSA possible move up to FBS...and a Tx. State article
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

it even talks about UTSA as well...thanks to TT for helping me find the links... this stuff is good for all of us to keep up with

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_097143155.html?keyword=topstory

and some bobcat fans' takes on their situation...
http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12295

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:45 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

here's some stuff on UTSA...

LINK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:37 pm 
Redshirt

I just cannot see us making the move to FBS by the June 1st deadline.

There is no way we have any of infrastructure in place. I spoke to one of the student governement candidates and he really did not seem well informed on the subject.

I am glad to see that Dr. Teis (our AD) is talking to other commissioners. I am glad to see that he has thought about the the move at some point down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:08 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.d1june1.com/

http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12462&sid=7ddf6c0c3c612fd7eec4157f1d2e3536

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:38 am 
All-Conference

chrisattsu wrote:
I just cannot see us making the move to FBS by the June 1st deadline.

There is no way we have any of infrastructure in place. I spoke to one of the student governement candidates and he really did not seem well informed on the subject.

I am glad to see that Dr. Teis (our AD) is talking to other commissioners. I am glad to see that he has thought about the the move at some point down the road.
I think the key is conference membership. Without that, it is very difficult to get a D1 schedule in place unless you want to play one similar to the UCA soccer schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:41 am 
Two-Time All-American

If they were to make the move it would be WAC or Sun Belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
If they were to make the move it would be WAC or Sun Belt.
The WAC would be a nightmare for them. If La. Tech doesn't have the support and budget to keep up with that mess of a conference then Texas St. would be in a world of hurt.

The Sunbelt is the best fit of course, but I don't know if we are looking to expand right now since WKU is moving up and they probably think they are ready for the Big 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Big 12 would make geographic sense and in football they could fit well in the bottom tier. Who would leave Big 12 to make room?

Agreed that WAC travel is a mess and seems logical that someday they will have to address that.

Sunbelt would be a better fit from a level of competition standpoint but still a lot of travel.

Not sure I would look forward to the Big 12.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Travel expenses would be offset from the money shared within the conference if you had to choose between WAC and Sun Belt. I don't even know how you guys are already mentioning Texas St. with Big 12. If Big 12 were to expand I would think they would opt for Memphis, Houston or Tulsa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:10 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
Travel expenses would be offset from the money shared within the conference if you had to choose between WAC and Sun Belt. I don't even know how you guys are already mentioning Texas St. with Big 12. If Big 12 were to expand I would think they would opt for Memphis, Houston or Tulsa.
The Big 12 comment was a joke since most fans think their particular school is deserving of more than they really are. Just a broad observation.

The WAC shared money is nowhere near enough to offset travel expenses. Just ask La. Tech. Competitively the WAC is very top heavy and subject to lose their "premier" team any time. If that happens, the WAC is in a world of hurt. Several Sunbelt team shave already told them "not interested" and they would have to look to D1AA if they lost Boise or anyone else. Add to that SJSU's position as perhaps the least stable program in the nation and the WAC is not attractive.

I am happy with the Belt now that WKU is moving up giving us a guaranteed 4 home conference games every year and I don't know that the conference is looking to expand.

C-USA is not really much ahead of the WAC and Belt competitivley, but their fans are holding on to that delusion. That is another conference on shaky ground.

I have no idea where Texas St. would go if they moved up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

even more on UTSA, looks like a vote is about to happen for a proposed student fee for athletics...

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=1175684&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=13100&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

UTSA Athletics Fee Student Referendum
Vote Sept. 11-12 on ASAP

On Sept. 11-12, all currently enrolled UTSA students will have the opportunity to vote on a student referendum to increase athletics fees. Increased fees would be used to take Roadrunner Athletics to the next level of NCAA competition. Possible improvements include new athletic facilities, the addition of football and eventually a move to a new conference. Following are often-asked questions about the student referendum and possible Athletics Department improvements.

How much will athletics fees increase?
The referendum would authorize increasing athletics fees over the next several years from a current maximum of $120 per semester to a maximum of $240 per semester. Each student currently pays $10 per hour for the first 12 hours of each semester (athletics fees are charged only on 12 hours per semester; therefore, the fee currently is capped at $120 per semester). If the student referendum passes, athletics fees would increase over at least five years to no more than $20 per hour. Annual increases will be $2 or less. These increases must be approved by the UTSA Administration and the University of Texas System Board of Regents. How quickly the fees increase would be determined by a number of factors, including when UTSA Athletics implements new sports, construction of new facilities and an opportunity to move to a new conference...