It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Presidential Task Force to Examine TXST FBS Move
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:08 am 
All-Conference

Major news out of San Marcos where Denise Trauth, the President of Texas State - San Marcos has announced a presidential task force will look into a move to FBS football...

Apparently, said task force has been in place since February 2007 (though covering all bases - football moving to FBS is a new task)` and we do have word from the President that the June 1, 2007 date which many fans want an announcement by is too short a time frame.

-------------

Texas State Task Force to Examine Move to FBS for Football

SAN MARCOS - Texas State University-San Marcos President Denise M. Trauth said she will ask the President's Athletics Task Force to conduct a comprehensive feasibility study on moving the university's football program to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level of competition in the future.

"There appears to be a groundswell of enthusiasm surrounding our football program right now. If we can carry that momentum forward and build on it, then the feasibility of moving the program to the FBS competition is something we need to examine," said Trauth.

The President's Athletics Task Force was appointed in February, 2007, and works with Trauth, Texas State Director of Athletics Larry Teis, Provost Perry Moore and University Advancement Vice President Becky Prince. It is charged with assisting the Texas State Department of Athletics in reviewing and revising its strategic plan and charting a course for fundraising for Athletics.

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042207aaa.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:09 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

so now what? if things work out, theypush that date back a year or so? or just however long it takes to make it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:17 am 
All-Conference

Bear (baseball) Fan 101 wrote:
so now what? if things work out, theypush that date back a year or so? or just however long it takes to make it work?

I think this is a win-win for all involved...

Pres/AD - gets the community, students and alums off their back. Allows for them to seriously put together the facts and figures related to an FBS move -- which could show them the truth on how plausible it is to move. It also gets the $$$ coming into the athletic department as people want to show they are supporting the cause.

Student Leaders - they had been pushing for this. They'll declare it a victory and will lay off the President and AD atleast until a study comes out as the study will show them what they need.

Fans, Community, Etc - All they talk about is FBS this and FBS that. Atleast they know the school is looking into it and this will get them digging in their pockets to support Bobcat athletics, something they love to do anyway, but have been questioning the TXST athletic administration. They'll clamor that the pressure they put on was the reason this study is going to happen, so that'll make them happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:19 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://d1june1.com/index.html

also has the things that were presented in a meeting to the Texas State Univ. Board of Regents yesterday.
http://d1june1.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/footballbowlsubdivisiondraft.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:57 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
By reclassifying the football program as
a member of the Football Bowl
Subdivision we will gain access to the
opportunity to compete for coveted bowl
money and one day the national
championship

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:32 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
Quote:
By reclassifying the football program as
a member of the Football Bowl
Subdivision we will gain access to the
opportunity to compete for coveted bowl
money and one day the national
championship

Please dig me up and let me know how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:51 pm 
All-Conference

Honey Bear wrote:

Oddly enough, competing in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) actually allows them a chance to compete for the national championship.

Last I checked, the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) actually does not award a national championship (I've checked the NCAA web site -- just don't see it!), but a 'Bowl Championship Series' championship, whatever that is -- doesn't sound national to me...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Texas Terror is exactly correct...only national champs per NCAA are in D3, D2 and FCS...... its all about money....figure out a way to make more money with a playoff and they will stampede to it.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
Honey Bear wrote:

Oddly enough, competing in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) actually allows them a chance to compete for the national championship.

Last I checked, the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) actually does not award a national championship (I've checked the NCAA web site -- just don't see it!), but a 'Bowl Championship Series' championship, whatever that is -- doesn't sound national to me...

:wink:

So if you go undefeated like lets say Boise St. does that mean you are the national champ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
So if you go undefeated like lets say Boise St. does that mean you are the national champ? :roll:

Unless Boise State makes a stop in Chattanooga at some point in December to play in the Division I National Championship, I am not aware of a game they could play in in which they would win a national championship at the Division I level...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The NCAA powers (eg, the bigtime football schools) would be aghast if Boise State ended up in the biggest BCS game...probably cause them to go to a playoff they could rig.....eg, Notre Dame gets an auto bid with a 6-6 or better record and other seven slots go to major conference champs.... NCAA has long salivated over the money.....it is actually humorous listening to NCAA BCS people rationalizing why a playoff will not work in FBS without talking about the money.....

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:12 am 
UserName Retired

It is rather amazing to me how the NCAA has not come to realize that next to the Super Bowl, the potential is there to have the second largest sporting event on television by having an outright NC game. If the major bowl games were used as playoff venues why do they think there would be less money involved. I would think that all the playoff games would definitely be filled to capacity with probably increased prices for seats. There's your more money right there.
Minor bowls could still be played for whatever reasons. If pro sports and other divisions of collegiate sports can have a playoff system, these old coots that run the NCAA ought to be embarrassed and ashamed that they cannot get their heads together and figure this out. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:17 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
It is rather amazing to me how the NCAA has not come to realize that next to the Super Bowl, the potential is there to have the second largest sporting event on television by having an outright NC game. If the major bowl games were used as playoff venues why do they think there would be less money involved. I would think that all the playoff games would definitely be filled to capacity with probably increased prices for seats. There's your more money right there.
Minor bowls could still be played for whatever reasons. If pro sports and other divisions of collegiate sports can have a playoff system, these old coots that run the NCAA ought to be embarrassed and ashamed that they cannot get their heads together and figure this out. ](*,)

The Bowls do not invite you unless you can sell tickets. Remember a while back when Toledo went undefeated and finished ranked #25 and didn't go to a bowl. But with a championship format maybe it would remedy the ticket sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Playoffs mean either extending the season further or cutting out regular season games. ADs don't want latter and university presidents (at least publicly) do not want the former, although they keep creeping up (hogs played 14 games last year..). The loss of a regular season game to the Top 30 programs means big bucks ... say 30 teams times 60,000 fans times $30 per seat average is about $54 million which is probably low plus the FCS teams would lose a game with FBS and not be able to replace payoff money. NCAA probably could recoup the lost money (actually will need to generate lots more money to compensate for the risk of changing something that works really well in terms of money raising) but then has to find an agreeable way to distribute to the Top 30. The more they extend the season now, the harder it becomes to eliminate games.

Work all this out for them and they will think playoffs are the best idea ever.

GoBears!!