It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southland Meetings Conclude
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:05 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://southland.cstv.com/genrel/060307aaa.html

...Included in the week-long sessions was final approval on future championship sites in most sports for the 2008-09 academic year, including cross country (at Stephen F. Austin), soccer (McNeese State), volleyball (Stephen F. Austin), tennis (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi), softball (McNeese State), and baseball (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi). The 2009 baseball event will be played at Whataburger Field, home of the Texas League Corpus Christi Hooks. Regarding the 2008 Southland Basketball Tournament, the Conference expects to make an official announcement in the coming weeks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 am 
UserName Retired

Championships of six different sports held by only three different universities. Wonder what that is all about? Maybe the Terror from Texas can enlighten us about that scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

who knows, but hosting the baseball championships at Whataburger Field seems like a great thing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 am 
UserName Retired

Is there any chance that they will go back to having the Basketball Tournament first rounds at school sites rather than having it all at a neutral location?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

got me, they were talking at McNeese that weekend I did the baseball games, about doing away with the mirror schedule in the future and going back to either a double header format, or playing on separate days. So who knows where things are headed in the SLC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
got me, they were talking at McNeese that weekend I did the baseball games, about doing away with the mirror schedule in the future and going back to either a double header format, or playing on separate days. So who knows where things are headed in the SLC.

Right now I would like to see the league play double header men's women's bb games. I don't think there are too many programs in the SLC that can justify the cost of holding the games on different nights with attendance being as low as it is for both men's women's teams. I think the women enjoy playing in front of a bigger crowd even if it is mainly in the 2nd half. I believe SWAC does their scheduling this way and probably a few others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:01 pm 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:

I much prefer the mirror format over double-headers.
DH's make for a long night at the gym. It was really hard for me to stay for both men and womens games at the Farris Center when you arrive shortly before 6 p.m. and most likely wont leave until about 10 O'Clock. Makes for a long day.

Playing on separate days would not be bad.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:21 pm 
UserName Retired

I agree, I don't like Double Headers if you are going to go to the games, but it would work out well for UCA right now since we are down to one radio station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:36 pm 
UserName Retired

Looking at it from a monetary angle, would it not be more cost efficient for the schools to have the doubleheaders. It does seem kind of goofey to send the boys to Lake Charles this week and send the girls down there next week. Kinda like the wife going to the beach in her car and me driving down a few days later in mine.
BF or Burly, did the teams/teams fly to any SLC away games or were busses used every time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

we flew to San Antonio/Corpus Christi, that was the only trip the women used the air on this whole past season. I don't think the guys flew one time during the conference portion of their schedule this past season, but I can't totally remember that far back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:46 pm 
UserName Retired

BF wrote:
but I can't totally remember that far back.

Lord Bubba, you're too young to make a statement like that. That's a statement only Burly and myself should be using on this board. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:47 pm 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
we flew to San Antonio/Corpus Christi, that was the only trip the women used the air on this whole past season. I don't think the guys flew one time during the conference portion of their schedule this past season, but I can't totally remember that far back.

Your correct...the guys did not fly during the conference season.

Burly Bear :)

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I was going strictly on my memory, I've been on enough trips this year they all run together...I'm earning my trip miles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Got to love Whataburger Field if you drive I40 west...I know its not THE Feltner's Whataburger in Russellville but it is the thought that counts!!!

Basketball scheduling for men and women is an interesting business question...fans might find the doublehead a burden ......however, some fans would love the setup hard core) and having arena open one night instaed of two wo probaby help on expenses AND introduce women's basketball to more of the men's fans.....not sure what I would vote for if I lived near Conway....

Let's just get attendance up sharply ...everyone plays better in front of a big home crowd...

GoBears!!