It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
Hopefully the SLC can soon work out a TV deal like the CAA just did: LINK

Man their big advantage over the SLC is that they have some schools in some major TV markets. But it would be sweet to have a TV deal like that so we could watch our Bears on the road more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:38 pm 
Starter

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I'm still curious as to what happened to our (SLC) deal with The America Channel ( http://www.americachannel.us/ ) any word on when that kicks in?

If I remember correctly, the America Channel won't start airing football games until 2008. I seem to recall hearing they will begin with basketball season in November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

lion, do you happen have any idea what cable systems they are on right now? Other than that website, and what they claim they already have wrapped up as far as conferences they will broadcast, I've never heard of that channel/company on any cable or satellite system.

http://www.americachannel.us/pressitem.php?id=131

'The new agreement covers television broadcasts of football, women’s and men’s basketball, and the Conference tournaments for volleyball, women’s soccer, baseball and softball. Broadcasts will commence in the fall of 2007...'

http://www.americachannel.us/faq.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:00 pm 
Starter

Burly Bear wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
MaximumBobcat wrote:
i think they're hq'd in new orleans

Cox Sports TV was primarily formed to televise New Orleans Hornets basketball across the region and has evolved into a regional "ESPN" style channel in Louisiana, parts of texas, arkansas, and florida. We've had games on Cox since 2003 and they do a pretty good job overall. Production quality is good and they find good talent to do play-by-play and color. It's a good deal for us because the channel is on just about every cable carrier in our recruiting area.

Cox also picks up the Gulf South Conference game of the week and had a chance to see UCA a couple of years ago.

I'm hearing Fox Sports SW is looking to cut back, if not cut out, all of their FCS/Southland coverage. I think they're committed to doing some games this year but I doubt they'll slot any games on Saturday night. That probably means Thursday nights for whichever SLC teams want to be on FSSW.

About this time last year, I heard that the SLC was looking at the possibility of doing the television production, marketing, etc. all in house, thus eliminating the likes of Fox and Cox.

We may be watching this slowly unfold.

Stay tuned.

Burly Bear :)

Yeah, but they're still going to need the likes of Fox and Cox to air the product. They could do something like the GSC does and syndicate a game of the week, which I'm sure Cox would pick up, or perhaps local independent stations, but the league will have to pay the production costs and buy the air time.

With the new SLC/XOS partnership, and the introduction of video boards throughout the league, I'm sure the league will get into the webcasting business in the near future.

At least for us, we have our own TV station, The Southeastern Channel (http://www2.selu.edu/thesoutheasternchannel/), which goes into the homes of a majority of our market, so we never really have to worry about zero coverage. We already produce select basketball games in house and I believe we're close to being able to do the same with football. We also replay any game (basketball, football, baseball, etc.) that is picked up by an outside entity (Fox SW, Cox, ESPN, etc.) a zillion times it seems like.