It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keep SELA in your thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:57 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1360014

Former Southeastern La. Athletic Director And Football Coach Dennis Roland Loses Battle With Cancer
Courtesy: Southland.org
Release: 01/02/2008

HAMMOND, La. - Dennis Roland, who spent two seasons as head football coach at Southeastern Louisiana University and served as the school's interim Director of Athletics, died Tuesday morning after a nearly three-year battle with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was 51.

Funeral services are scheduled for Saturday at 3 p.m. EST at First Baptist Church in Roland's hometown of Cochran, Ga. Visitation is set for Friday beginning at 6 p.m. EST at Fisher Funeral Home in Cochran.

Roland, who helped revive Southeastern's football program in 2003 as offensive line coach under Hal Mumme, passed away at Northside Hospital-Forsyth in Cumming, Ga. Roland, who returned to Southeastern in 2005 after spending one season as head coach at North Gwinnett (Ga.) High School spent the past season as head coach at Central Gwinnett High...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:08 pm 
UserName Retired

This isn't SLC related, but it did remind me about hearing the news this morning of a local tragedy last night:

Quote:
Little Rock Parkview junior basketball player Anthony Hobbs died Wednesday night after collapsing during the Patriots’ 6 A-South Conference opener against Lake Hamilton at the Charles Ripley Arena.

Hobbs, 16, was taken by ambulance to Baptist Health Medical Center in Little Rock, less than a mile from the Parkview campus.

A hospital spokesman confirmed his death less than an hour after Hobbs arrived at the hospital. Hospital officials could not confirm the time or cause of death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

i heard about that on the Buzz this morning as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Totally tragic! Len Bias like. I heard the coach give an interview on the radio. He sounds so devastated! Let's keep that family and the kids in that school in our prayers! Tragic. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 am 
All-American

I read about that in the paper. Tragic. Reminded me of an article about a month ago in Sports Illustrated. Sounds to me like there needs to be more extensive physicals before someone is elgible to play, but that probably still can't cover everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am 
UserName Retired

BEARS2006 wrote:
Totally tragic! Len Bias like.

Lord, I hope not. According to the official autopsy of Bias, his was listed as a cocaine induced heart failure. Either way, it is a pity.