It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TX State
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 am 
UserName Retired

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14519

Some tidbits from the article:
Quote:
We are currently classified as a Division 1A school in every sport besides football. Our football team is classified as Football Championship Series, FCS (Formerly known as Division 1AA).

IA only applies to football...not other sports.

Quote:
Looking at our University as a whole- size, academics, admissions standards—we have outgrown the Southland Conference and are no longer in a league with the universities we compete with in athletics.

:lol:

Quote:
We want to move our football team to the most competitive level of collegiate football: Football Bowl Subdivision status, FBS (Formerly known as Division 1A).

:roll:

Quote:
IF WE DON’T WIN NOW, HOW CAN WE COMPETE WITH FBS SCHOOLS?

FBS quality players want to play for FBS quality programs. FBS quality coaches want to coach for an FBS program. FBS teams want to play against FBS teams. We are not as competitive as we could be now because the schools we compete against are not performing at our caliber in other areas of collegiate activity. Our athletes are under strict academic standards and Texas State’s athletes continue to rank in the top of our conference for an overall GPA. We also do not currently have the athletic budget necessary to support a competitive FBS program. When we bolster the program, we’ll be able to bolster support and success. It’s a matter of turning the vision into tradition. It starts now. It starts with us.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 pm 
UserName Retired

LINK
BobcatFans Magazine just got word that our athletic department received a Million Dollar Donation last Friday from 81’ Alumus Darren Casey. Darren is a businessman out of San Antonio.

The board of regents will approve the donation next week and then it will be final.

Biggest donation in TXST athletics history

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I think they are voting today and tomorrow, or yesterday and today....their students at least on whether to move up to FBS or not. I have no idea, but they are getting ready to do something.

Between Lamar and UTSA seriously looking into/bringing back football, and TSU-SM talking about moving out of the SLC in essence, the landscape of the SLC in football could really be different once that moritorium on moving up or down in lifted by the NCAA in a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am 
UserName Retired

Dang...if TX State leaves who are we going to "Hang 63" on after that! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 am 
UserName Retired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2U3lLj4tc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

joshuca wrote:
Dang...if TX State leaves who are we going to "Hang 63" on after that! :lol:

Lamar...might as well welcome them back to the SLC kindly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 pm 
All-Conference

I think hang anywhere from 70 to 80 against Lamar. That would be sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:48 pm 
UserName Retired

Apparently the vote passed:
SAN MARCOS - Students at Texas State University-San Marcos have voted to increase the fees they pay to support Bobcat athletics in an effort to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS -- formerly Division I-A).

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

LINK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Guess they figure of they are going to get clobbered on TV it might as well be to an FBS school with a big payoff....

While we take great pleasure in The Game, TSU has had some very good teams in recent years...they nearly beat TAM in College Station 2-3 years ago and played UT pretty well in Austin.....I will settle for a 3-2 Bear win in San Marcos this fall.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:09 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

TSU-SM has been division 1 for over 20 years, or something close to that, and I believe that was their only SLC title the year they blew a chance to win the FCS National Championship...they have not been a power at any point on our level except for that one season, but if they think they can compete year in and year out with TU, and aTm, TT, OU, KU, Nebraska, Mizzou...or heck, even Tulsa, TCU, and whatever conference they think they are going to enter and take over.

I guess kudos for them trying, but man, I hope they realize what they are about to get themselves into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
TSU-SM has been division 1 for over 20 years, or something close to that, and I believe that was their only SLC title the year they blew a chance to win the FCS National Championship...they have not been a power at any point on our level except for that one season, but if they think they can compete year in and year out with TU, and aTm, TT, OU, KU, Nebraska, Mizzou...or heck, even Tulsa, TCU, and whatever conference they think they are going to enter and take over.

I guess kudos for them trying, but man, I hope they realize what they are about to get themselves into.

I just don't understand why they would make this leap now. Their attendance and fan base has not shown any significant growth. It is not like they have a great winning program that is going to give them momentum for the move up. I guess what I am saying is that you should a least be outgrowing your current competitors before you decide to move up a level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

If there becomes another opportunity for the SLC to expand what do you guys think about UCO. I'd like the possibility of Central Oklahoma. Big town, nice facilities. They have to consider D1 eventually. That would give the SLC another good media market. They seem pretty similar to UCA in regards to moving up to D1.

I don't think they built this beautiful stadium with the intentions to stay D2.

http://www.bronchosports.com/PhotoAl...00&PALBID=2951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 pm 
All-American

They were working on the stadium four or five years ago when I was last there.

The rest of their facilities are average at best.

Hamilton Field House, which houses basketball, was not much.

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

MontyR wrote:
They were working on the stadium four or five years ago when I was last there.

The rest of their facilities are average at best.

Hamilton Field House, which houses basketball, was not much.

Monty

puts them about in line with the Nicholls States and McNeese States of the world, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:38 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCO is pretty similar school to UCA in some regards based on a friend whose wife is a prof there. Not sure of their enrollment. They get lost in the media market that is 99.9% OU and OSU. Still, UCO might make a good SLC team to get some exposure in Ok City and SW OK area, at least among high school coaches. Edmond is a very nice city, much like Conway in many ways.

How have the Cowboys fared the last few years?

OK factoid...OSU grads outnumber OU grads in all but Oklahoma County (Ok City) and 6-7 others.

GoBears!!