It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:07 pm 
UserName Retired

LINK
"We are division 1 in everything we play, except football," Texas State Athletic Director Larry Teis said. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
LINK
"We are division 1 in everything we play, except football," Texas State Athletic Director Larry Teis said. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Um...that's obvious!...(um, hey AD, you're division I in that too!, you just don't play like it! ) :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

From what I can tell by TV games, the size and opulence of the arena has not kept St. Mary's College in California from having great basketball.....they are Top 25 and 2nd only to Gonzaga in their conference.....FC seems far more than adequate and could be modified with some tweaking to be a great atmosphere....admittedly when we put a Top 25 caliber team on the court, we will fill FC..I still think we can put 3000+ each game with continued effort in promotion......

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:02 am 
All-American

Thanks for the rundown on the opponents' facilities. That tells me that I'm pretty much assuming correctly on quite a few things.

One thing that I've got to throw in, strictly as an opinion, is that "old" doesn't mean "bad" or "run down". I think it's unfortunate that fans expect to get new facilities every few years, that puts a big financial burden on schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

good point WC&PB, I also dont think bigger always means better, and it can be said about that in the SLC as well. We dont have the biggest, but ours is ok. Especially with the new lights and sound system this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:03 am 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
good point WC&PB, I also dont think bigger always means better, and it can be said about that in the SLC as well. We dont have the biggest, but ours is ok. Especially with the new lights and sound system this season.

Bigger is definitely NOT better! I mean if you have a 10,000 seat arena, but only put 2,000 butts in the seats, it looks pretty sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

ucafan1907 wrote:
The more I think about the FC, it would be great to get the courtside walls removed but instead of PCC seating I would put the students on the floor and let them get into the game....student sections on the floor can better "assist" the referees for instance..you will still need a good elevated section for us old guys so we can sit back and arm chair coach and "observe".....

GoBears!!

I get what you're saying, that would look cool, and probably help the aesthetics a bit too as has been talked about numerous times before. But don't forget that the students are on the floor currently at the FC in the south endzone right next to the opponent's bench. That is their designated student section that whole south end. The problem comes in the fact not enough of them show up to assist the refs, except for the Purple Rage, of if they do show up, they choose not to sit in their designated area. That's the problem in my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well, not all fans expect new faciilties every few years...ever been to The Phog in Lawrence? Not exactly a new palace but is seems to have little adverse effect on fans, team, or recruits.....plenty of excellent teams play in older arenas.....

GoBears!!

Post subject: Facilities
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:53 pm 
Practice Squad

Just my two cents but after a year and half in this conference I have now been to every school but Nicholls and SELU. I went to SELU for a sorority :lol: convention while attending UCA in "85 and was unimpressed. I don't expect to be impressed by Nicholls either. I have been looking at all of these schools with a discerning eye as our daughter is starting the college search.

Let me just say with much conviction:

THE UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS IS BEAUTIFUL AND NOT A SINGLE CAMPUS IN THE SLC COMPARES.

THe other campuses are either spread out or "skanky" as the girls say. Some have pretty sections but as an overall campus we win. Sometimes when you are at someplace for so long you take it for granted, but no more. UCA is "the bomb". Sure there are always updates needed, but we are always working on them.

UCA :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:34 am 
Redshirt

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
LONG post ahead...

As much traveling as I have done, the FC stacks up pretty well with other SLC schools for those of you that havent been able to travel the SLC and look at some of the gyms the rest of the schools play in. I think Monty and 75 (and even KOTS) can and have helped try to explain this to some of you in this thread. Monty did leave off Corpus Christi's arena, that is the nicest in the conference bar none. However, it is NOT an on campus facility ran by the school, so I put them in a different catagory.

Lamar's Montagne Center is the cream of the crop in the SLC as far as on campus arenas go in my mind. But they sure dont draw well for women. And since they dont have football, anymore, or it might be coming back, whatever...I'm sure they spent the time and money to build that place right to make it a showplace for a basketball school, and their men's history shows it too.

As far as the rest of the eastern division arena. The FC and maybe the University Center at Hammond are the cream of the crop bar none.

NW St. plays in this over-sized, arena/airplane hanger and they have curtains seperating about a 1/3 of the playing court and main seating from a volleyball court and a scoreboard no where near the playing court. It also features sections of seats that span the color of the rainbow, literally. I was also told when we were there last week, that it looked like a place that could also host rodeos and livestock shows, so who knows.

Nicholls' gym, well it had damage a few years ago during the hurricane and they are remodeling it some...but it is old, and if it isnt, it looks it, complete with the trough style urinals ala War Memorial Stadium. I may be kind in saying it is worse tham many high school gyms.

That brings me to McNeese. Burton Coliseum/Rodeo Arena/barn. Let's just say besides the size of the place, Jennings High School, where the SB's play McNeese this season, puts their real facility to shame, and it was just a high school gym. Burton is dark, or at least it was last year. It was dead empty, granted they've been down a while and they were terrible last year, not sure how they draw for guys. But it's almost like it's a rodeo arena (and a nice one for that use, seriously!) that they allow McNeese to play ball in. They would likely benefit from a basketball only facility as well.

I like the University Center, and look forward to our trip there a week from this Thursday. It reminds me of Tucker Coliseum in Russellville, complete by being decked out in all green and gold. AS mentioned before, seats WAY too far away from the court. Really, trying to picture it in my mind again, I think their seats, at least some of them, are actually further away than ours are.

Now to the Western Division...

UTA's stage is unique, I realyl did expect it to be worse than it was, but it WAS bad.

Texas State, bigger than the FC, but otehr than that, nothing special at all. It loses points with me with that rediculous wall at one end of the floor, even though it has a nice sized and well ued video board/scoreboard now. I will give them this. I do like their concourse area on the one side where they recognized all their hall of famers and have pictures and murals up of Texas St. basketball players and history, that was well done. But the other side of the concourse was jsut as bland as the FC's except they did have unopened concession stands, with one full of nothing but old, dusty trophies and banners from years and sports gone by just sitting there piled up in plain view.

UTSA's Convocation Center, as you smay have saw on tv is nothing spectcular, and really, I would expect MORE from a school that is a basketball school and does not have football (for now) It is a hyper center with seats, that's it.

Corpus' place is a mini-Alltel Arena, but as I mentioned earlier, it has an unfair advantage being a city owned and operated facility that I guess TAMCC has to pay rent for. But they DO have an on campus shack for visiting teams to go shoot around and practice in. I'll put it this way, the Prince Center, BEFORE renovations, was nicer than that place, so TAMCC runs has it all and nothing at all at the same time!

I liked SFA place, last year, and Monty just got back from there. It may have been the purple! :wink: It looks like nothing from the outside really, but on the inside well laid out, they have walls kinda like the FC, but they are not quite as high up, and they are still closer to the floor from what I can remember, Monty help me out. the concourse is all at the top, and it house their basketball programs, have huge trophey cases and honors their past, especially in women's bball, their bell cow.

I just got back from Sam Houston & Johnson Coliseum early this morning. Floor layout was fine, seats on 3 sides close to the arena floor. But I still havnt figured out why they have the one side with the score table and benches with a HUGE cut out area and have not put some type of temporary bleachers in the that area to squeeze more people in, and put them right behind the visitor's ears. Those seats WAY above the action arent aywhere NEAR the floor.

SO IF I was to be honest in my rankings of all the SLC bball facilities at this point here I go:

1A. Lamar (on campus)
1B. TAMCC (off campus)
2. SFA (name escapes me!)
3. Sam Houston (Johnson Coliseum)
4. Texas St. (Strahan Coliseum)
5. UCA! (Farris Center)
6. SELA (University Center)
7. NW St. (Prather Coliseum)
8. UTSA (Convecation Center)
9. UT Arlington (The Stage)
10. McNeese (Burton Coliseum)
11. Nicholls (Stopher Gymnasium, i think)

We do have a lovely place. It's called the Johnson Coliseum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:39 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

thanks, I had forgotten the name from last season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:08 pm 
Practice Squad

I refer to TSU-SM as UU (Underachiever's U)...I agree they are the largest U in the TSUS. I agree they have the largest budget for athletics compared to the other programs in the SLC. That's as far as I go with agreeing with their statements.

They are bigger because of location to Austin and SA...many students that can't get into UT will settle for TSU-SM just to be near Austin. UTSA gets students for the same reason. Believe me, it's not their academic structure or superiority that draws student to San Marcos or San Antonio.

Their adm standards are a bit higher than SHS or SFAs...but not by much. But the reason they raise them was because of the last paragraph. As UT raises their requirements and the Top 10% rule in the state of Texas, it's increasingly harder for students to get to Austin. Again, they will settle for UTSA or TSU-SM to be close to the Austin action. The Adm standards are a way to control overcrowding. I have been to San Marcos on many occassions and on the weekends, the student body hauls butt to Austin.

Their athletic budget being the largest in the SLC has produce one post season in football in 25 years...yes, one post season playoff in 25 years. SHS won the SLC Commissioner's Cup...awarded to the best AD in the SLC...3 years in a row with a budget at least 2M less than TSU-SM. So that is one reason I reference the underachieving aspect.

To say they have grown out of the SLC is pure arrogance on their part...they are hoping their football fortunes improve moving to FBS because they haven't been able to get it done in the SLC.

Let them bloviate all they want, I want them to go FBS so they can get their arses kicked week in and week out for the big payout. They will continue to schedule SHS and a few others in their OOC schedule. It will be nice to notch a FBS victory on our mantle...at UU's expense. Oh...and get a nice paycheck for it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 pm 
UserName Retired

Until one of their fans comes on here to rebut your opinion, sounds good to me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
THE UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS IS BEAUTIFUL AND NOT A SINGLE CAMPUS IN THE SLC COMPARES.

No argument from me no matter what the others look like...buy I am sort of biased.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
All-Conference

Just wanted to acknowledge that Burton Coliseum had these huge flies and that the lights went out during the contest I attended earlier this season in Lake Charles, La. and we played with secondary lights for a bit --wow!

I even got into argument with a guy that claimed he knew a lot about McNeese and football. He did not acknowledge they were a Div I program. You guys know how that gets the TT going! ;)

Over the last few months, I've been to Nicholls, McNeese, Southeastern, Northwestern and UTSA. I have been to both SHSU and SFA gyms in the past. Of those I visited this year I liked UTSA the most. Just was a lot more "modern"...

UALR had nice digs -- but their elevators were labeled 'L', 'M' and 'S'. Large, small and medium? Think it meant lobby, suites and management or mezzanine? Not sure!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next