It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Facilities
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:40 am 
Starter

SugarbearTennis wrote:
Just my two cents but after a year and half in this conference I have now been to every school but Nicholls and SELU. I went to SELU for a sorority :lol: convention while attending UCA in "85 and was unimpressed.

I'm not going to claim our campus is more impressive than UCA's (I love UCA's campus), but I think you'll find ours considerably more impressive than you did 23 years ago. You won't recognize it.

Post subject: Re: Facilities
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 am 
UserName Retired

slulionsfan wrote:
SugarbearTennis wrote:
Just my two cents but after a year and half in this conference I have now been to every school but Nicholls and SELU. I went to SELU for a sorority :lol: convention while attending UCA in "85 and was unimpressed.

I'm not going to claim our campus is more impressive than UCA's (I love UCA's campus), but I think you'll find ours considerably more impressive than you did 23 years ago. You won't recognize it.

I don't think anyone was putting down anyone's campus. It's a money thing everywhere and very few SLC schools have any. I guess just visiting the ones I have had a chance to visit, even La. Tech's, I think UCA's has made leaps and bounds since my era and is near the top. But like I said, when I attended as a freshman, it wouldn't rank near the bottom of the SLC. These impovements to our campus have been recent and are still in the stage of advancing, like with the $25(?) million business building. :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

We all love our own campus....that's the way it should be ..after all most of grew up on campus so it is special.....I just enjoy all of them......look forward to seeing them all.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
I never really saw the inside, but I know that the McNeese stadium pretty much got blown away. They had to rebuild a lot, so it's possibly changed some since you saw it?

When we were down there for the football game we threw up our tent right behind the fence. And let me tell you, the back side of that fence is pretty nice. :) (Seriously, it did look like it was a well-done fence.)

Hey Trey, I'm impressed you even remember anything about the McNeese trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:56 am 
UserName Retired

I remember everything. Why wouldn't I? :lol:

My only regret is that I ate too much, literally making me sick and waking me from sleep at about 3:00 a.m.
I tried way too many things I've never had before. One/some of those came back to hurt me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 am 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:

My only regret is that I ate too much, literally making me sick and waking me from sleep at about 3:00 a.m.
I tried way too many things I've never had before. One/some of those came back to hurt me.

LOL, oh to be young again.

I remember (1) food and hospitality were awsome; (2) I can't drink like I could when I was your age (translation-I drank too much); and (3) we got our butts whupped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:15 pm 
UserName Retired

treyuca wrote:

The 2nd annual Alumni Assn. crawfish boil is May 9 so that would be a good time to come get in some practice and learn how to pace yourself. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
treyuca wrote:

The 2nd annual Alumni Assn. crawfish boil is May 9 so that would be a good time to come get in some practice and learn how to pace yourself. :idea:

Practice? We talking about practice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:10 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Honey Bear wrote:
treyuca wrote:

Practice? We talking about practice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:26 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
treyuca wrote:

Loooisiana Ditch Lobsters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:40 pm 
UserName Retired

2006 wrote:
Loooisiana Ditch Lobsters!

:lol: You paid attention last year! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 am 
All-American

Practice, 12 ounces a day. :) It's too expensive for repetition, though. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:12 pm 
Practice Squad

DHKAT wrote:
I refer to TSU-SM as UU (Underachiever's U)...I agree they are the largest U in the TSUS. I agree they have the largest budget for athletics compared to the other programs in the SLC. That's as far as I go with agreeing with their statements.

They are bigger because of location to Austin and SA...many students that can't get into UT will settle for TSU-SM just to be near Austin. UTSA gets students for the same reason. Believe me, it's not their academic structure or superiority that draws student to San Marcos or San Antonio.

Their adm standards are a bit higher than SHS or SFAs...but not by much. But the reason they raise them was because of the last paragraph. As UT raises their requirements and the Top 10% rule in the state of Texas, it's increasingly harder for students to get to Austin. Again, they will settle for UTSA or TSU-SM to be close to the Austin action. The Adm standards are a way to control overcrowding. I have been to San Marcos on many occassions and on the weekends, the student body hauls butt to Austin.

Their athletic budget being the largest in the SLC has produce one post season in football in 25 years...yes, one post season playoff in 25 years. SHS won the SLC Commissioner's Cup...awarded to the best AD in the SLC...3 years in a row with a budget at least 2M less than TSU-SM. So that is one reason I reference the underachieving aspect.

To say they have grown out of the SLC is pure arrogance on their part...they are hoping their football fortunes improve moving to FBS because they haven't been able to get it done in the SLC.

Let them bloviate all they want, I want them to go FBS so they can get their arses kicked week in and week out for the big payout. They will continue to schedule SHS and a few others in their OOC schedule. It will be nice to notch a FBS victory on our mantle...at UU's expense. Oh...and get a nice paycheck for it too.

A lot of that is pure BS. TxSt attracts just as many UT tshirt fans as SHSU attracts A&M tshirt fans. Maybe less.

We attract plenty of bright students because of our great undergraduate programs. UTA and SHSU have us edged on the numbers of some graduate studies, but the majority of our undergrad students apply to other peer institutions like UH and UNT. Texas A&M undergrad admission is extremely close to TxSt's requirements too I believe.

On the other hand SHSU competes for their undergrads more with SFA, UTSA, A&M Kingsville, etc...

As for athletics, you're basically right, we need to whip the whole department into shape. Maybe a new Athletic Director is in order... :idea:

MaximumBobcat