It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas State, UTSA, talking to WAC (and maybe Lamar too)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/pair-of-texas-schools-to-state-case-for-wac-membership/
Pair of Texas schools to state case for WAC membership
Posted by John Taylor on September 20, 2010 5:32 PM ET

With Boise State leaving for the Mountain West Conference in 2011, and Nevada and Fresno State doing the same in either 2011 or 2012, the WAC could find itself with just six member schools in very short order.

The process to replace those schools, however, is very much under way.

WAC commissioner Karl Benson stated today that Texas State and UT-San Antonio will make presentations to the conference Sept. 28. There are other schools -- perhaps as many as eight others, in fact -- who will make presentations as well, but, Benson said, "[u]ntil they acknowledge their participation, I will defer until they make public that they're meeting with us."

UTSA officials made an informal presentation to the WAC last Wednesday in Denver. Texas State officials did the same nearly two months ago

Post subject: Re: Texas State, UTSA, talking to WAC (and maybe Lamar too)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Good matchup for WAC....some big TV markets..big schools....not necessarily Lamar but UTSA and TSU would look pretty good to WAC....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:15 pm 
Redshirt

Lamar is just as good of a fit as any of the other schools. They are selling out all of thier games. I looked up Beaumont MSA and it is about .5 million so the TV market is good. And they are having a very strong start to the season. They tend to be good at basketball as well. I think the WAC would be happy to take them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

you make some decent points, but then again, I would fully expect LU to sell out football at this point, (at least this season) considering they had not had it for how ever many years was it? Being to every school now multiple times, I'd say they do have the facilities to move up, but do they have the overall money structure in place to, thats what I'd really like to know. Do they have the money TSU-SM and UTSA does over a long period of time to sustain such move? And I have no idea if they do or not, who knows they may.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 pm 
Redshirt

They approved an athletic fee just like tx state and UTSA. Also they have a bigger endowlment than both school. The metro area is not as big as san antonio, but it is as big as TxSt. According to google thier athletic budget is 14 million which is as big as tx state, but smaller than UTSA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:29 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

sounds feasible then, you got me, maybe they could make the jump then. Competition wise, I dont think they'd have too many problems, esp. once they get re-established in football over a year or two. Maybe the SLC loses 3 schools, 1 school, 2 or none in the next 2--4 years, it will definitely be interesting to watch for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:30 pm 
Redshirt

One of the possible line ups I have seen people post is this. It could be a fun conference to watch with all the built in rivals it would have.

How do you think this will look to the NCAA?

Eastern division:
La Tech
New Mexico State
UTSA
Texas State
Lamar
Denver (non-football)

Western division:
Hawaii
SJSU
Idaho
Utah State
Montana
Seattle (non-football)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:31 pm 
Redshirt

I would like to see texas a and m kingsville make the jump to the slc. I think they are ready to move from DII

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:33 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I really dont know. I havent thought about what other conferences will look like if the Texas schools leave, I've been focused more on the SLC aspect of it. But at least the WAC would still have a conference! ha ha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:36 pm 
Redshirt

If all the texas schools even accept!!! lol SLC might be stonger than the WAC before it is all over with!!! hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that would b nice too! (BTW, welcome to the board!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:01 pm 
Redshirt

Texas State fan here..

Just wanted to give you a few things to note from a Bobcat's perspective.

1. Lamar DOES NOT have the kind of money that Texas State or even UTSA has. How do you check this? Look up their "expenses" reported last year in the "equity in athletics" database (a .gov website). After doing so, you'll see the following:

- Lamar's total expenses $8,191,914. Now, where do the student fees yall are talking about come into play (http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/articles/221_6151.htm)? They only help football. The $8.50 student fee will add roughly $2 million to the budget, making it around $11 million dollars.

- Texas State took a different approach with fees in 2008. Instead of setting a limit for ourselves, we decided to MAX out to the state limit by 2012 ($20 per semester hour, per student). Last year, our total expenses were $14,142,299. Keep in mind, the fees are STILL increasing $2 a year. By 2012 and year by year record setting enrollment, we will have a budget anywhere from $17 - $20 million.

2. Remember that 10 schools will be presenting to the WAC in Dallas on Tuesday. Lamar is going to be one of them, but you can bet the farm that they are ONLY presenting to be considered a FUTURE expansion candidate. They just aren't ready as of yet. Texas State and UTSA already made initial presentations to the WAC and will be taking a more in-depth approach in Dallas. We have been mentioned as true expansion candidates for months now.

3. I must say that it is nice to see an SLC school not hating on us for having high aspirations in FBS. If you venture off to a SELU, McNeese, NwST, SHSU, or even Lamar board, you'll see what I am talking about.

Anyways, I just found this board the other day and had to join. Hopefully, this WAC situation works out and we are allowed our dream of FBS. Who knows, maybe the SLC can expand and take a school in Arkansas to give y'all an in-state rival. Can't wait to play y'all Nov. 6.

Eat Em Up, Cats!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 pm 
Redshirt

jdcurran wrote:
They approved an athletic fee just like tx state and UTSA. Also they have a bigger endowlment than both school. The metro area is not as big as san antonio, but it is as big as TxSt. According to google thier athletic budget is 14 million which is as big as tx state, but smaller than UTSA.

[-X

You need to do some more research, my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:20 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm calling B.S. on this alleged Bobcat fan. Um what kind of Texas State fan says:

Quote:
Eat Em Up, Cats!

I think that's a SHSU slogan:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:07 pm 
Redshirt

BearCountry wrote:
I'm calling B.S. on this alleged Bobcat fan. Um what kind of Texas State fan says:

Quote:
Eat Em Up, Cats!

I think that's a SHSU slogan:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wtf: Really? Guess a few of you don't get out much...