It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Texas State, UTSA, talking to WAC (and maybe Lamar too)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:29 pm 
All-American

TxSt just schooled by SLU. TxSt might not want to go FBS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

from TT over at Katfans.com:
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/10/wac-source-utsa-is-most-attrac.html

from this thread:
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1000.0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm 
UserName Retired

Also, NW St is leading TX St, 7-3, late in 2nd Q on TX St's homecoming! Go Demons!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm 
UserName Retired

Looks like TX St might drop their homecoming game to NW St! They trail 16-3 with 8 minutes left! Go Demons!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am 
Redshirt

We play good football :^o

Just kidding.

In all seriousness, if any of yall are looking to see UCA win at Bobcat Stadium, this year might be your only chance. Come one, come all! If all could be ideal for me as a Bobcat, I hope we drop every game from here on out, but still manage to bring in 13K to the Nov 6 game. That way, we can have someone's head at the end of the season 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

youcanuseamint wrote:
In all seriousness, if any of yall are looking to see UCA win at Bobcat Stadium, this year might be your only chance...

Acutally, we already have... 2 years ago... so here's our NEXT chance to! :wink:

You being our apparent only Texas St. fan on her at this time, what do you think of the situation about moving up, esp with the comments from the San An paper last weekend?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Redshirt

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
youcanuseamint wrote:
In all seriousness, if any of yall are looking to see UCA win at Bobcat Stadium, this year might be your only chance...

Acutally, we already have... 2 years ago... so here's our NEXT chance to! :wink:

You being our apparent only Texas St. fan on her at this time, what do you think of the situation about moving up, esp with the comments from the San An paper last weekend?

Hah! I meant more of your fans traveling to Bobcat Stadium to see your team win, not your actual team coming here for a win. But yes, you did beat us two years ago... #-o

Those comments, I think, were written in a way to get attention. And it worked. His "source" thought UTSA was a lock, but wasn't too sure about Texas State. A lot of people took that to mean they had found another candidate and UTSA was leaving Texas State behind. When all that statement really means is the source was well-connected with UTSA info, but "out of the loop" with Texas State news. In fact, Karl Benson again said in yesterday's teleconference that the three schools still on top, who don't even need campus visits, are (said in this order) Texas State, Montana, and Texas-San Antonio.

My guess is watch for December to roll around before invites are actually issued. We screwed ourselves out of post season play, but Montana hasn't (and I believe they have some internal issues that need to worked out as well). As for how I feel about it? I think it's great news and opens the next chapter of Texas State Athletics. While the WAC-6 are geographically spread out and haven't made a ton of noise over the years, most of them are very fine academic institutions and well respected. Not a bad group of peer institutions to be associated with. It'll suck only being able to make one maybe two away games a year, but it's a price I am willing to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:24 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/utsa/2010/10/wac-teleconference-new-members.html

Quote:
...Benson said that additions will be announced within the next 30 days.

He also said:

* He and the WAC's six remaining athletic directors will hold a teleconference this afternoon to begin the final stages of discussion.

* The league has continued to have dialogue with the five schools on its radar: UTSA, Texas State, Montana, Denver and Seattle. "No other schools are under consideration." Montana has yet to decide its course of action.

* The need for campus visits will be reviewed.

* "It's now a matter of what our final structure is going to be." The league "definitely" needs a minimum of eight football-playing schools for the 2012 season.

So there, straight from the commissioner's mouth: Two football schools are essential for the 2012 season, and only two -- UTSA and Texas State -- have definitively thrown their hat into the ring. With the exception of Montana, no other schools are being considered, and it's difficult to imagine any new candidates would be identified and vetted by the end of the month...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:11 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x603540177/College-Athletics-Sources-say-Texas-State-is-headed-to-the-WAC

October 29, 2010
College Athletics: Sources say Texas State will be invited to join WAC
By Tyler Mayforth Daily Record Sports The San Marcos Record Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:02 PM CDT

San Marcos — Consider it a done deal.

Texas State will receive an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference within the next 30 days — or sooner — along with Denver, Seattle and Texas-San Antonio. Montana has gone from a sure bet to sitting on the fringe, at least for the time being.

WAC Commissioner Karl Benson has stated he’d like the conference to get back to having at least eight football-playing members and with the immediate addition of Texas State and UTSA, it would bring the WAC to eight. When Montana finally gets around to declaring itself ready, it would bring that total to a favorable nine...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It would be sweet to help them celebrate with a loss to the Bears.....however, they are a big school with lots of alums and good TV market access...we would be trying to move up also ....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:19 am 
Two-Time All-American

I feel the same way Bearsfan52. We've moved up a couple times ourselves amid naysayers. We ought not call the kettle black.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 am 
UserName Retired

I got a :?: Since these two are moving up and starting their transition (I assume) next year, will the two schools now have to start paying us to show up at their place to play as long as we are on their schedule? Seems only fair. Unless I'm badly mistaken didn't we have to pay the DII schools to come to our place the first year into our transition? What if these two schools decide to drop us off their schedule where games are already penciled in for the next couple of years - do they owe us or the conference any cash?

I sure wouldn't let them off the hook. It was their decision to run with the big boys. :wink:

Also, I haven't seen any comments about possibly inviting ATU, if they're willing, into the conference. A couple of Arky teams would be a good balance for the SLC plus there's the instant rivalry back on the table.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
I got a :?: Since these two are moving up and starting their transition (I assume) next year, will the two schools now have to start paying us to show up at their place to play as long as we are on their schedule? Seems only fair. Unless I'm badly mistaken didn't we have to pay the DII schools to come to our place the first year into our transition? What if these two schools decide to drop us off their schedule where games are already penciled in for the next couple of years - do they owe us or the conference any cash?

I sure wouldn't let them off the hook. It was their decision to run with the big boys. :wink:

Also, I haven't seen any comments about possibly inviting ATU, if they're willing, into the conference. A couple of Arky teams would be a good balance for the SLC plus there's the instant rivalry back on the table.

We should treat TSU and UTSA fairly is all I am saying. If what you say is the common business practice for teams transitioning then I have no problem with billing them.

I don't think ATU or any other Arkansas school is ready. I really think Central Oklahoma is a very likely candidate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:20 am 
UserName Retired

I didn't mean it as a form of punishment but as of equity. I go by ATU every day. Their campus has really expanded over the last 4-5 years but whether they have the money or not is no doubt questionable. I'm just hoping for a close opponent for away games travelling reasons. About four hours in a vehicle is about all my old worned out back can handle.

Unfortunately for me, this is just inside the time frame of my in-laws. Image