It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: They're Gone...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:55 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
A Historic Day!

Quote:
Faithful Bobcat fans are having a hard time believing it’s real. Today is the day many longtime suffering maroon & gold supporters have been waiting for what seems like an eternity. Texas State is moving up to the FBS and now it will leave the dreaded Southland Conference behind and join the company of the WAC.

Like the WAC is so much better.... :roll:

Hey, their LONGTIME SUFFERING is their own fault! :lol:

Dreaded? Is that because of their performance in the SLC? :lol: :lol:

I wish them the best but I don't see the long-time suffering ending anytime soon. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I have never been to San Marcos, but from what I hear they have really
nice facilities, a large enrollment and a lot of money. It doesn't seem to
translate over to the football field. I hope they can compete in the WAC.
Maybe it is weaker than the Dreaded Southland.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It's just business....FCS gets you more attention (and donors) than D2...FBS does same vs FCS.... they may think a trip to Ruston will be for a win but it's not so easy....at least a trip to Hawaii is nice....WAC, even with those leaving, will not be easy in football....wish them well and hope they pay us handsomely every few years to come to San Marcos and whip their b.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

BearsFan52 wrote:
at least a trip to Hawaii is nice....WAC, even with those leaving, will not be easy in football....wish them well and hope they pay us handsomely every few years to come to San Marcos and whip their b.....

I wonder if they've thought over what happens if/when Hawaii goes independent in football... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 am 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
BearsFan52 wrote:
at least a trip to Hawaii is nice....WAC, even with those leaving, will not be easy in football....wish them well and hope they pay us handsomely every few years to come to San Marcos and whip their b.....

I wonder if they've thought over what happens if/when Hawaii goes independent in football... :lol:

Read the Hawaii messageboard...they want out of that conference N-O-W!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:
BearsFan52 wrote:

Read the Hawaii messageboard...they want out of that conference N-O-W!

Nobody else wants Hawaii. I don't think they really have any other options than the WACk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Understandable...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:23 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

plus if Hawaii is independent they could schedule 7-8 home games a year and cut down their travel, thus easing some of their $$ for travel. Makes perfect sense for them from that aspect as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
plus if Hawaii is independent they could schedule 7-8 home games a year and cut down their travel, thus easing some of their $$ for travel. Makes perfect sense for them from that aspect as well.

Sounds good in theory but they already have trouble filling their current non-conference schedules in all sports.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 am 
All-Conference

Not so fast. Looks like Hawaii is leaving for the MWC which would most likely kill the WAC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Football only, according to the ESPiN doohickey at the bottom of the tv.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 pm 
All-Conference

Hawaii to the MWC for football only but to the Big West for all other sports accodring to reports. That kills the WAC unless they can find some replacements and without Hawaii they are even less attractive than they were last week.

I would guess that SJSU, Idaho and USU may end up playing FCS football. La. Tech and NMSU are scrambling for a home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Right - MWC for football only, most likely Big West for everything else. WAC for jack squat.

A league of UTSA, Texas State, Denver, La. Tech, San Jose St., Idaho, New Mexico St. and Utah St. doesn't really get anybody excited, does it?

And I see Crump posted while I was typing. But since I typed it, I'm leaving it.

Sounds good for SJSU, Idaho and USU to go FCS in football. Given the state of things in Louisiana, I don't think it'd be an awful idea for La. Tech to explore the same idea. Any chance they'd look at Sun Belt membership or the Sun Belt would look at them, or whatever?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:10 pm 
All-Conference

Beary Manilow wrote:
Right - MWC for football only, most likely Big West for everything else. WAC for jack squat.

A league of UTSA, Texas State, Denver, La. Tech, San Jose St., Idaho, New Mexico St. and Utah St. doesn't really get anybody excited, does it?

And I see Crump posted while I was typing. But since I typed it, I'm leaving it.

Sounds good for SJSU, Idaho and USU to go FCS in football. Given the state of things in Louisiana, I don't think it'd be an awful idea for La. Tech to explore the same idea. Any chance they'd look at Sun Belt membership or the Sun Belt would look at them, or whatever?

A portion of their fans and donors think they are too good to ever rejoing the Sun Belt, mostly because they don't want to be affiliated with ULM. Truthfully, LT has been inquiring about Sun Belt membership as a possibility for years before this all came down because they could barely afford the WAC even with the extra money that Boise earned for them. They fit in the Sun Belt in terms of geography, budget, competitiveness, academics, etc. bu their is a lot of ego involved.

I am fine with bringing them back because it's a natural rival and it's better to be adding thatn sitting around waiting to see if you lose someone. A lot of ASU and Belt fans don't want them in regardless because of their egos and the fact that they are difficult to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Maybe this is the big reality check they need. They haven't really been relevant in much of anything lately that I can think of. Women's hoops definitely isn't anywhere near where it once was; football hasn't been much to write home about; I don't remember hearing much about their men's basketball either. Join the Sun Belt and be competitive and have more regional interest in what you're doing at least. You're going to be fairly irrelevant nationally either way.

Maybe they'll try to jump into C-USA if there's some shakeup there. Whatever.