It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They're Gone...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/UTSA/Sources_WAC_move_near_for_UTSA_107013098.html

Sources: WAC move near for UTSA
By Dan McCarney - Express-News
Web Posted: 11/10/2010 12:00 AM CST

UTSA has tentatively scheduled an on-campus function for late Thursday afternoon, possibly for the purpose of publicly announcing an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference, multiple sources told the Express-News on Tuesday.

WAC commissioner Karl Benson declined comment, saying only that the process of adding new members is “unfolding.”

UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, who is in New Orleans on business, did not respond to an interview request.

As with UTSA, numerous sources have tabbed Texas State as a virtual certainty to join the WAC, which has courted the two schools in earnest to replace outgoing members Fresno State and Nevada.

Texas State athletic director Larry Teis did not return a phone message.

At this point, a UTSA coach said, the Roadrunners already have begun to plan on moving.

“Everybody knows it’s going to be the WAC, it’s just the ‘whats’ and ‘whens’ (we don’t know),” the coach said.

Those thoughts were echoed by a member of the athletic department of a current WAC member, who said, “The only thing I’ve been told is that UTSA has been officially invited. It’s just a question of, are they (publicly) invited or accepted on the same day.”

That day could be Thursday, in the hours after UTSA president Dr. Ricardo Romo is scheduled to give a presentation to the University of Texas System Board of Regents in Austin. Board approval is required for UTSA to leave its current home in the Southland Conference...

Post subject: Re: They're Gone...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Not sure what link this is from, found it over at Katfans.com:
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1040.30

WAC poised to add 3 new schools tomorrow
By Ferd Lewis
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 10, 2010

A reshaping of the Western Athletic Conference could begin tomorrow with signs pointing to the addition of as many as three new members: the University of Texas-San Antonio, Texas State and Denver.

The WAC is apparently waiting for the University of Texas System Board of Regents to approve UTSA's move from the Southland Conference before an announcement of multiple schools is made. The board begins meeting today and WAC members have been alerted by the conference office to expect an announcement "either Thursday or Friday."

A UTSA spokesman said its president, Ricardo Romo, is scheduled to go before the board tomorrow morning in Austin. The posted agenda lists "discussion and appropriate action regarding legal issues concerning athletic conference membership."

Southland Conference commissioner Thomas Burnett said in an e-mail that he has been in contact with the WAC about the move of UTSA and Texas State and "we expect an announcement soon."...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:26 pm 
UserName Retired

Wooo Hoo... :roll:

I guess next year the Sugarbears won't have any competition for the overall SLC championship in Volleyball... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
They're Gone...

Byyyye.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm 
All-Conference

Ah man. I'll miss beating the crap out of Texas State in football every year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

foundingfather wrote:
Ah man. I'll miss beating the crap out of Texas State in football every year.

Maybe we could be their FCS opponent every year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Not likely.....two blowouts on TV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 am 
UserName Retired

From ESPiN's Andy Katz:

The University of Denver, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State will join the WAC in 2012-13 to offset the departures of Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada to the Mountain West, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

UTSA, which still needs official approval from the board of regents, and Texas State will join in all sports. Denver will join for all sports except for football, since the Pioneers don't play at the FBS level.

The WAC will have eight football members, nine for men's and women's basketball. The WAC would have had six members in 2012-13 if nothing had been done, with Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, New Mexico State, Utah State and San Jose State.

An announcement is expected from the WAC on Thursday.

Montana could also join the WAC in all sports, especially if the Grizzlies decide to bump up from FCS to FBS in football. Montana, a FCS power, is expected to make a decision in the next few weeks. If the Grizzlies decide against the move then Seattle would likely step in with all sports except football.

The WAC's perfect scenario, according to multiple sources, is to get to nine football schools, including Montana, and 10 basketball schools.

UTSA will start its football program as an FCS independent in 2011. UTSA won't be in the Southland Conference in football that season. UTSA is then expected to make the jump to FBS football in 2012. UTSA will play in the Alamo Dome, home to the Alamo Bowl.

Texas State and UTSA will leave the Southland Conference and pay an estimated exit fee of $250,000 per school. Denver, which has been in the Sun Belt since 1999-2000, won't have a penalty for leaving, according to sources.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

speculation has begun:
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1134.0
this quote caught my eye, if true...

Quote:
(from TexasTerror)
The SLC presidents get to decide what happens to TXST, UTSA...

They can make them ineligible for SLC postseason bids right away, if they see fit. I'm curious how this impacts the 2011 football schedules. That will be the most important thing IMO. We're in November and I hope there's enough time for teams to move around schedules, etc. We're (Sam Houston St.) slated to play TXST the last week of the season - that could be trouble filling...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
speculation has begun:
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1134.0
this quote caught my eye, if true...

Quote:
The SLC presidents get to decide what happens to TXST, UTSA...

They can make them ineligible for SLC postseason bids right away, if they see fit. I'm curious how this impacts the 2011 football schedules. That will be the most important thing IMO. We're in November and I hope there's enough time for teams to move around schedules, etc. We're slated to play TXST the last week of the season - that could be trouble filling...

I think it would be wrong to hold back teams from any of these schools from post season play. If they want to move on let them. Trying to punish them only hurts our abilities to schedule them for all of our sports in the future. I wish them the best of luck until we meet them in the field of competition again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 am 
Two-Time All-American

Remember we may want to change or move up to FBS. It is a hard and difficult move as we all know and decisions made now will effect us in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

it's all about the money for the actual member schools and monies that can be earned in postseason by our conference schools who are choosing to stay loyal to the SLC if I'm not mistaken. Its not necessarily holding teams or schools back from scheduling and/or keeping them from postseason play. I think it's a preemptive strike by trying not to allow them to 'take the money and run' type of deal on the conference's end, unless I'm totally offbase, which is always a possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Trying to decipher what you guys are talking about but my opinion is if there is money paid to a specific school in the playoffs and that school is fixing to end their relationship with the SLC then I say pay the money to the conference and not the team. They made their choice, live with it.

And for those of you who might disagree - have you ever been through a divorce? I rest my case. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Statement by Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett

Quote:
"The Southland Conference wishes Texas State and UTSA well with their new membership in the Western Athletic Conference. Texas State and UTSA have been valued members, and have contributed and benefitted from their Southland membership.

"The Southland Conference, under the direction of its presidential Board of Directors, is already planning for the future and will take the necessary steps in due course to ensure that conference members will continue to have opportunities for competitive success while fostering an environment that encourages academic achievement by student-athletes. For almost a half century, the Southland has handled membership transition in a fair and thoughtful manner to enhance the league. We are confident that will be the case again."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
UserName Retired

A Historic Day!

Quote:
Faithful Bobcat fans are having a hard time believing it’s real. Today is the day many longtime suffering maroon & gold supporters have been waiting for what seems like an eternity. Texas State is moving up to the FBS and now it will leave the dreaded Southland Conference behind and join the company of the WAC.

Like the WAC is so much better.... :roll: