All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More SLC movement?...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

this from Katfans.com apparently from today's Houston Chronicle:

http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1549.15

Quote:
From the Houston Chron:

Southland Conference school presidents will meet Friday at Dallas, and one of the items on their agenda surely will be conference realignment.
Texas State and Texas-San Antonio are on their way out after accepting invitations to join the Western Athletic Conference in November. Their membership in the WAC will become effective July 1, 2012.
The San Antonio Express-News reported Friday that the WAC is considering adding more members, and commissioner Karl Benson said additions could be announced as soon as April 1. The Express-News reported through multiple sources that the list of candidates numbers at least six schools, including Sam Houston State and Lamar.
League commissioner Tom Burnett said Thursday it would not be proper to discuss possible departures until any action was taken, but he expects the presidents will likely take all developments into consideration.
“We certainly will review the entire situation, (including) what we know, probably begin dialogue on what’s a little more uncertain at this point, which would be the future and what the conference plans to do,” Burnett said.

Post subject: Re: More SLC movement?...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 am 
All-Conference

Not so fast. Reports are coming out that Utah St. and SJSU are about to be invited to the MWC leaving La. Tech, NMSU, Idaho, Texas St. and UTSA. The WAC would either fold or look to add more Southland teams if they want to survive as an FBS conference.

When they come calling you guys should not pick up the phone. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 am 
UserName Retired

Crump1 wrote:
Not so fast. Reports are coming out that Utah St. and SJSU are about to be invited to the MWC leaving La. Tech, NMSU, Idaho, Texas St. and UTSA. The WAC would either fold or look to add more Southland teams if they want to survive as an FBS conference.

When they come calling you guys should not pick up the phone. :)

LOL! Good thing Lu isn't around. I'm sure he would jump at the chance if they called. Oh wait, he probably would have already called!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 am 
All-Conference

Don't know if you guys follow it, but there was an article last week suggesting that the Sun Belt is looking at adding at least one "established" FBS team for at least football. Speculation has centered on La. Tech and NMSU but there seems to be a lot of favorable talk about inviting Texas St. and one more from the WAC. La. Tech is too foolish to jump off that sinking ship but I would like to have Texas St. for UNTs sake and to kill the WAC.

I figure this impacts the Southland as it could lead to more departures to the WAC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:51 am 
Team Captain

I would enjoy La Tech getting smoked by ULL, ASU, and ULM myself. Let em eat some crow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 am 
All-Conference

Full Grown Bear wrote:
I would enjoy La Tech getting smoked by ULL, ASU, and ULM myself. Let em eat some crow.

Me too. Hope you guys kick their butts this year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Maybe the WAC and SLC should merge as a FBS conference then Texas State can move up to FBS ans still get whipped by the Bears regulary in conference games.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 am 
UserName Retired

Lamar to announce FBS move?

Per TT:
Quote:
Big Red Insider and the Bobcat Report are trying to confirm a rumor right now, but there are indications from BRI that Lamar will publicly announce this week that they are seeking candidacy in the WAC. The two sites have teamed up in recent weeks to share resources and I guess we'll know something sooner or later, if these sources of theirs are correct.

Stay tuned.

Maybe we should just plan on moving on over to the MVC/MVFC or even the OVC...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm 
Two-Time All-American

And the WAC comes calling again.

UT Arlington to the WAC, pending approval

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 pm 
Team Captain

The changing of dance partners isn't going to be over soon. The lesser FBS conferences are scrambling. They will take anyone who wants to cough up the additional bucks and to be the whipping boys of the major FBS schools.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:27 am 
All-Conference

Purple75 wrote:
The changing of dance partners isn't going to be over soon. The lesser FBS conferences are scrambling. They will take anyone who wants to cough up the additional bucks and to be the whipping boys of the major FBS schools.

It's just the WAC. The MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA are not in a hurry to expand and would do so only if the fit is right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:50 pm 
UserName Retired

I just saw this on the official UTA Twitter Stream:
"It's official! UT Arlington is a member of the Western Athletic Conference! Pessimism conference is going on now."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Followers quickly by:
"CORRECTION: It's official! UT Arlington is a member of the Western Athletic Conference! Press conference going on now."