It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Just a note that when the 2020 Super Bowl pre-game ceremonies recognized the best NFL players of the first 100 years, a native of Pine Bluff was included, that being Don Hutson of the Green Bay Packers. The link below is to Hutson's pro football HOF page.

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/don-hutson/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson

Hutson played at Alabama and was known as The Alabama Antelope...…he was an end from 1932-1934. The end on the other side of the line was another Arkie also from near Pine Bluff named Paul Bryant, later known as Coach Bear Bryant.

Growing up in Pine Bluff allowed me to know some people who had gone to high school with him and one that played in the backfield when Hutson played. One of the practice fields used by my Little League baseball team (Hutson also was a star in baseball and basketball) was named Hutson Park. There were rumors that Bryant (from near Fordyce) actually would come to PB and play for the Zebras along with Hutson (the high school rules were a little loosey goosey in those days so maybe....).

A business acquaintance in Milwaukee area is a long time Packers fan and season ticket holder....when I fist met him I mentioned a fellow letterman from my high school is on the Pack's ring of honor and he immediately launched into a narrative on Hutson's career at Green Bay and Alabama.

If you are not familiar with Hutson's football accomplishments, read the pro football HOF link above. Keep in mind they played fewer games and must teams did not pass much.....some point to Hutson as the birth of the growing use of the forward pass in the NFL.