Post subject: Sportsmanship
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Amid the grieving, a rare act of sportsmanship. =D>

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=914609

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:05 pm 
UserName Retired

That reminds me of the act of sportsmanship I witnessed after a UCA football game in Estes Stadium. It happened in a moment of time when North Alabama had just kicked a game winning field goal and were advancing onto the next round of the Division II playoffs.

Throughout the game the students and players had "mouthed" at each other and tension had grown to the point that some trash was thrown at the UNA players on the sideline. After the defeating kick sailed through the uprights, the UNA players taunted the UCA students with phrases like, "the bears gonna hiberate now" and "Bedtime for the little bears" and other unwriteable phrases. After the moment of shock went through the home crowd, the cheer of "UCA" could be heard on the homeside. Everyone joined in to show the Bears they were appreciated and how they were proud of their team and it's efforts.

But what happened next surprised the UNA players to the point that I remember hearing one say, "I can't believe it, they're doing it for us!". In a moment of conference unity, the Bear faithful cheered on the Lion players for success in the next round of the playoffs with chants of "UNA, UNA, UNA!".

The suprised look on the Lion faces told the whole story. One moment they were bitter rivals fighting for their playoff lives, the next they had the support of their defeated rivals.

I'll never forget the look in their eyes as some just stood in amazement and gratitude of the gesture by the UCA faithful. I know it's not a "death" story like the one above, but I think those UNA players will probably remember that act of sportsmanship shown that day, I know I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Yea I remember that game! It was a great moment, but a little side note...We did get screwed in that game by the official not calling the intentional grounding penalty. The result was the easy FG....But yes it was good sportsmanship by the fans of UCA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:04 pm 
UserName Retired

Must have happened on the student side because I don't remember anyone around us on the west side doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 pm 
UserName Retired

UpandIn913 wrote:
Yea I remember that game! It was a great moment, but a little side note...We did get screwed in that game by the official not calling the intentional grounding penalty. The result was the easy FG....But yes it was good sportsmanship by the fans of UCA

That's so true! But we can't let the officials decide a game. Lose too many that way. :lol: Hakuna Matata kicked a great field goal to win it though. Either one of us would have had our $$$ handed to us the next game because we wore each other out that game! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:25 pm 
All-Conference

Honey Bear wrote:
Must have happened on the student side because I don't remember anyone around us on the west side doing that.

I assure you it wasn't happening anywhere near me on the east side of the stands either.

We were too busy being engrossed in a "war of words" with UNA (and former UCA) QB Vinnie Sailor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, I was on the East Side and apparently around a rare moment that happened at that game. I remember the taunting and horrible sportsmanship, guess that's why the good stood out so much. :idea: