It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USC QB woes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ESPN had a pretty good piece on the QB competition going on at USC including a nice interview with Mitch Mustain. Freddie Coleman on ESPN radio last night point blank said Mustain would never play a down at USC as starting QB. Mitch looked like he has slimmed down some and taken some southern California sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:36 am 
Two-Time All-American

USC quarterback Mitch Mustain is attempting to resolve academic issues that could affect his eligibility for the coming season, Coach Pete Carroll confirmed Monday.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... ssues.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 am 
UserName Retired

Can you imagine how good it would have been to see Mustain at UCA! Geez. I'm not hyping the kid, but he could throw. If we didn't have Nathan, he would hve fit in nicely. Why don't kids who know they are gonna be second string or third string at a major university just go to schools like UCA and get playing time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:50 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
Can you imagine how good it would have been to see Mustain at UCA! Geez. I'm not hyping the kid, but he could throw. If we didn't have Nathan, he would hve fit in nicely. Why don't kids who know they are gonna be second string or third string at a major university just go to schools like UCA and get playing time?

No it wouldn't have been nice, because all you would have heard were complaints and bitching from his mom towards Coach Conque and the rest of university. I'm glad he is not a bear, I'll take Casey Dick any day of the week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
We don't need him dragging down our APR. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:57 pm 
All-Conference

UpandIn913 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

No it wouldn't have been nice, because all you would have heard were complaints and bitching from his mom towards Coach Conque and the rest of university. I'm glad he is not a bear, I'll take Casey Dick any day of the week

I assume you mean Nathan Dick, because I wouldn't take Casey Dick on a flag football team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 pm 
Two-Time All-American

HAHA...ya I meant Nathan, I was rushing out of the office when I made that post....Correction: Nathan Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:48 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Too bad Mitch had his mom as baggage....long story....will never know what might have been......hope he gets it together.......we have lots of QB talent as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Not being a Hog fan here is what I observed on the MM fiasco. The majority of fans, including the media, from the least to the most influentual are partly to blame for the whole thing. All that was being talked about was the Springdale five and how they needed to sign with Arkansas. Pressure mounted on Broyles to make it happen. Daddy Frank knew the only way to get the majority of the players was to force Nutt to hire Malzahn. The fandom ate it up and within 10-12 months we had rotten pork on the hill.

I really feel that if Nutt had been left alone to run the team his way without the interference of Broyles, all that transpired wouldn't have happened. Not being able to say no to the boss sometimes backfires on you. You know - kinda like what happened here at UCA in some ways. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I'll take Matt Clinkscales out of that group....he is a hitter as he was in high school...by the way he threw more than one block for the Bulldogs that helped MM look good......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 pm 
Team Captain

Stephen Loucks has been at Texas Tech behind an All-American QB for two years. Talk about a kid that can throw it, I have practically helped raise him. Nathan Dick had already announced to transfer to UCA when Stephen decided he wanted to play somewhere right away. He is at our old nemesis, North Alabama. I predict he will do well in the Gulf South!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ESPN just had a piece on USC and commented on Mustain may be converted to the Trojan punter......really????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:10 am 
UserName Retired

From the ADG:

Mustain stepping in with foot

Quarterback Mitch Mustain is dabbling at a new position — punter.
Mustain, who played at Springdale High School and for the Arkansas Razorbacks before transferring to Southern California, has a chance to earn future playing time at a spot where the Trojans have struggled, USC Coach Pete Carroll told The Orange County (Calif.) Register.
“He’s got a really good leg,” Carroll said. “It’s going to take him awhile, obviously, to get his timing down and all that. ... We’re going to give him a chance to see if he can develop a little bit.”
The coaches became intrigued by Mustain’s punting ability when they saw him do it during the team’s walk-through in Columbus, Ohio, last week in preparation for the Ohio State game.
He punted as a senior in high school, but only “about five times,” according to his former and current teammate, receiver Damian Williams, because Springdale’s offense was so prolific.
The coaches reopened the punting competition after Billy O’Malley averaged 36.0 yards in the first two games