It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of the show...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 am 
UserName Retired

[url=http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/aug/11/End-of-the-show/]End of the show
EWU drops marching band to save money
[/url]

They will only save $30,000...
Quote:
The university has also raised tuition 14 percent, or $640 a year, starting this fall. EWU will save about $20,000 by trimming uniform, field and instrument maintenance; not buying music and show designs; and not hiring a percussion instructor. Devin Otto, the marching band director and a lecturer, resigned after seven years to pursue his doctorate degree. His position as lecturer was filled, but the band director position was eliminated, shaving another $10,000 from the budget.

I couldn't imagine a football game in Estes Stadium without the BMB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 pm 
UserName Retired

EWU band marches on

Quote:
Eastern Washington University officials have reversed their decision to discontinue the marching band, they announced this afternoon.

Faced with $13.3 million in budget cuts, the college had decided to cut marching band, which would have saved about $30,000 this year.

“EWU has faced severe budget reductions in the past six months and eliminating the band seemed like one of many budget reduction possibilities,” Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs John Mason said in a press release. “But recent robust enrollment projections, not available at the time the University’s budget reduction plan was adopted, mean the University will have funds to support the marching band.”

Eastern’s music department is currently making plans to hire a new band director to work with the nearly 100 students who make up the Eagle marching band, said college spokeswoman Teresa Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm sure all EWU would have had to do was terminate one of their "brother-in-law" staff positions and the band would have been solvent for at least 3 or 4 more years and all these idle threats would not have had to happen. *%#@@#&@ politics. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 pm 
Two-Time All-American

These people are idiots or there is more to this story. This is about 3-4 phone calls to donors by the university president to raise this level funding.

As I recall, Cal-Davis has a very fine band and it is purely a student led and donor/fundraiser paid for band. That seems weird for a 30,000+ student school but it has been a long time tradition at Davis.

Looking forward to the 2009 BMB show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 pm 
Practice Squad

I'm going to be real on this...it cost a ton of money to run a real Div I band and it's sometimes the only option some schools have for a short term solution. On the other side, music shouldn't be the scape-goat for every budget cut ever made (I don't literally mean "every" just for those who tend to not get sarcasm). It's ridiculous that this sort of thing has to happen to these kids since it's probably the fault of the "higher-ups" at EWU for the lack of funds. I'm not gonna pick a side since I don't know the whole story but this sort of thing shouldn't have to happen if folks did the job they were hired to do make sure the budget was balanced.