Post subject: Tennessee to Hire Louisiana Tech Coach
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:32 pm 
Starter

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4829107

I'm not saying anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 pm 
Starter

The story has since been modified, saying it's not a done deal yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Any time you get a chance to hire a guy coming off a 3-8 season and a career .500 mark in the WAC (and sub-.500 overall), you absolutely have to make that move.

If Brian Kelly was a homerun hire for Notre Dame, Dooley is a sac bunt hire for Tennessee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I was thinking more of a sac bunt attempt...that rolls foul, or is even popped up...behind home plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 pm 
Starter

Who does La Tech go after now? Malzahn? Applewhite? Are there any successful FCS coaches out there with La Tech ties?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm 
UserName Retired

Beaumadine Louise Pusser wrote:
Who does La Tech go after now? Malzahn? Applewhite? Are there any successful FCS coaches out there with La Tech ties?

HMMM.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm 
UserName Retired

I still can't believe that the Vols job falls all the way down to Dooley.
What is keeping the first 10 people on the list from taking the job? Crazy.

And if Dooley is gone, who makes the hire down there? He was the AD as well. Do they try and find an AD first and then a coach? I don't think they have time for all that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
Starter

treyuca wrote:
And if Dooley is gone, who makes the hire down there?

Karl Malone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
I still can't believe that the Vols job falls all the way down to Dooley.
What is keeping the first 10 people on the list from taking the job? Crazy.

And if Dooley is gone, who makes the hire down there? He was the AD as well. Do they try and find an AD first and then a coach? I don't think they have time for all that right?

University presidents are perfectly capable of handling all athletics matters.

Sincerely,
L.H.

West Palm Beach, Fla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:30 pm 
Starter

I know the perfect hire to lead the Louisiana Tech football program: Rand Chappell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I wouldn't trade being Auburn OC for La. Tech HC. Gus would be better served just staying there a few years and having a much better shot at a bigger HC gig.

Tech should extend an offer to Mike Leach. Or hell, maybe even Ruffin McNeill. He's got that Bubba Gump shrimpboat aura about him that should play well to La. Tech fan/recruiting base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I agree with you guys about his record but his resume isn't all that bad. I think this is another case of hiring someone because of their name. His dad is the legendary Vince Dooley.

1996- Grad Asst at Georgia
97-99- Asst Recruiting coordinator/Wide receivers coach at SMU
00-04- Recruiting Coordinator/Tight Ends coach/Running backs at LSU
2005- Asst coach for the Miami Dolphins
06-07- Head Football coach at La Tech
08-09- Athletic Director/Head football coach at La Tech

His overall record 17-20 at La Tech

I am rather surprised Tennessee hasn't pushed harder for Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun. He was the 2nd on their wish list when they hired Lane Kiffin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:14 pm 
UserName Retired

I thought they did and he was one of their top 10 on their list to turn them down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Yes he did turn them down, but he wasn't one of their top priorities. They went after Muschamp, Cutcliffe, Norm Chow, and a couple others before going after him. I was just surprised he wasn't the first person they went after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
I wouldn't trade being Auburn OC for La. Tech HC. Gus would be better served just staying there a few years and having a much better shot at a bigger HC gig.

Bigger than the Vols? Knoxville is a pretty good gig.

http://www.latechbbb.com/
Malzahn is getting some national attention as the leading candidate....check out LTU's fan site....

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-fo ... 10aaa.html

Jan. 15, 2010

RUSTON - Louisiana Tech President Dan Reneau announced Friday that head football coach and athletic director Derek Dooley has resigned his posts effective immediately.

Dooley, hired as the head football coach at Tech Dec. 17, 2006 and then promoted to the dual role of athletic director on March 6, 2008, will accept the position of head football coach at the University of Tennessee.

Reneau also announced that Deputy Athletic Director Bruce Van De Velde is being named the acting athletic director effective immediately.

"We are grateful for the contributions that Derek made to Louisiana Tech Athletics and we wish him luck in his new position," said Louisiana Tech President Dan Reneau. "Despite this unexpected change, Louisiana Tech will continue to focus on building a progressive and nationally-respected athletics program."

During his three seasons at Louisiana Tech, Dooley led the Bulldogs to a mark of 17-20 including an 8-5 mark in 2008 when Tech captured the Independence Bowl title with a 17-10 win over Northern Illinois. It was Tech's first bowl appearance since 2001 and its first bowl victory in more than 30 years.

"Louisiana Tech University and the Ruston community will always hold a special place in my heart," Dooley said in a statement released through LA Tech's Media Relations Department Friday evening. "The foundation for success has been established and a bright future lies ahead for the university and the athletics program."

This past season, Dooley's Bulldogs finished 4-8 but lost five games by single digits and played 4th ranked Boise State down to the wire before falling 45-35 and led LSU at the half at Tiger Stadium before falling 24-16.

"We've already begun the process to find Louisiana Tech's next football coach and we will complete this process as quickly and thoroughly as possible," said Van De Velde. "It's our objective to put the right person in place to lead our football program and to continue to energize our fan base."

Van De Velde also announced that offensive coordinator Frank Scelfo has been named interim head coach until a new coach has been found. Scelfo was hired by Dooley at LA Tech in 2006.

Reneau said he created a search committee chaired by Van De Velde, Tech Athletic Council Chairman James Liberatos and Athletic Council member Steve Davison. He also said that the University's Foundation would hire a national executive search firm Parker and Associates to assist in the process.

(Note: Very smart of them to use the Foundation and a search firm. This is the only real way to keep it quiet as to who you are taking to.)