It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't trade being Auburn OC for La. Tech HC. Gus would be better served just staying there a few years and having a much better shot at a bigger HC gig.

Bigger than the Vols? Knoxville is a pretty good gig.

Sweet Christ on a corndog, where in the world did you get that I was talking about the Vols? I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about La. Tech since right there in the first sentence I said that I wouldn't trade being Auburn offensive coordinator for La. Tech head coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 am 
Two-Time All-American

My point is that Dooley goes from HC at LTU to Vols.....LTU can be a stepping stone to the next level as a HC....many places want someone to have had HC experience even at a "lower level" program over an OC at a big school.....

Gus could be an exception....

On another note, is the job at Boise State so attractive that no one can recruit Chris Peterson, their HC? He just won the Bear Bryant Award (the Bear being another of us old Arkie boys) for the 2nd time....He does a great job at a place most football fans would not think as football heaven......not sure why USC would choose Kiffin over him or Texas Tech would hire Tuberville over Peterson.....this guy is far and away more accomplished than Dooley or Kiffin ....plus the Broncos play on the brightest turf in D1....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

Okay, well it makes sense when you say it that way.

As for Peterson, I'm not sure he's in any big hurry to leave. Why should he be?

-He's a hero beyond all belief there. If he goes to a "bigtime" program, he's one 8-4 season from having For Sale signs planted in his front yard. And, there's basically no way he can go 8-4 at Boise with the conference they're in.

He's not in anybody's shadow. He's not competing with previous coaches in the program's history or coaches throughout his conference or his own school's basketball coach – he is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the man there. There will be statues and things named after him. He has a chance to be talked about in Idaho like the Bear is in Alabama. If you can do that, win 10+ games a year, make more than a million dollars per year to do it all without the hassle of SEC-type fanbases, then why leave? That sounds much more attractive than getting spit up and chewed out at Notre Dame or USC or Auburn or Michigan or wherever.

-What's a better job than Boise right now? They're Top 5 or Top 10 consistently. Any place any better than that is already secured (Florida, Texas, 'Bama, OU, Ohio State, etc.), so he might as well sit there and win 12 games a year and finish Top 5 and be in a position where they can't even really get exposed in a national title and then have the ability to talk about being the best and just not getting the chance. It's a win-win, minus the minor fact it's next to impossible to win a national title. But for them, not winning it is just about as good because they can gripe about the system (and rightfully so).

-He may not be getting paid as much as the Mack Browns, Nick Sabans and Houston Nutts of the world ... but for a million or more per year in Boise, Idaho and not a ton of pressure and constant scrutiny, it's worth the discounted rate.

-Boise can attract top-flight talent now. Much like Gonzaga in basketball, they've been good enough long enough to be a player. They're close enough to be an attractive option for the West Coast kids, and can obviously get basically their pick throughout the mountain region.

-If a playoff system gets put into place in the coming years, it's going to be largely because of Boise. And how magnificent would that be to have that feather in your cap? You can't do something historical like that at Texas Tech. All you can do is piss off Craig James and the Board of Oilmen and get tossed out with the table scraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:13 am 
Two-Time All-American

I just talked with a source of mine from down in Monroe, Louisiana that works at the NBC affiliate. He said that according to the schools interm AD and president that Malzhan was their top canidate followed by Major Applewhite.

He also told me that there were 3 big boosters down there that were willing to pay big bucks to bring in Malzhan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
I just talked with a source of mine from down in Monroe, Louisiana that works at the NBC affiliate.

Well since it's a source (of yours, of course) and not just somebody who works at the NBC affiliate, then this is much more valuable and impressive information than it would have been otherwise.

A source of mine gave me similar info, though nothing specific about three big boosters willing to pay big bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Look I'm just putting it out there. no sense in busting someone's balls over it. I don't know what kind of work you do, but in my line of work we use sources for information other than just google, because clearly that is a reliable way to get info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Yes .. in your line of work. Posting on a message board isn't your line of work.

It just sorta seems like you're trying to validate for the rest of us that you're connected. Like "look at me! I know people! I'm important!"

And that typically deserves a little good-natured ballbusting.

Good info, though, for real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

No, I mean I'm not trying to be all high and mighty. The people on this board that know me, know that I'm not that way. I simply said that about my souce because I had no other way to credit the information that I was putting on here. I'm not a big fan of people who put information out there and it's not credited in some way shape or form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:18 pm 
Starter

Inevitable. Guess who's on the candidate list: http://www.rustonleader.com/sports.php?id=6210

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:15 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I haven't clicked the link yet, but since you said "Inevitable", I'm guessing it must be Houston Nutt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:19 pm 
Starter

The LA Tech board discussion: http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72478

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm 
UserName Retired

From a fanboard, Tech is down to Todd Monken and Tyrone Nix for their next coach.